Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux - Linux ; Hi Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary) from RS232 ports? ie what is the MS-Windows' Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux? Thankx Miem...

  1. Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux

    Hi

    Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary)
    from RS232 ports?
    ie what is the MS-Windows' Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux?

    Thankx

    Miem

  2. Re: Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux

    "Miem" writes:
    > Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary)
    > from RS232 ports?
    > ie what is the MS-Windows' Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux?

    minicom
    kermit # <-- the best.
    cat /dev/ttyS0 > captured # <-- the simpliest

    "You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you read it in the
    original Klingon"

  3. Re: Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux

    On a sunny day (3 Nov 2006 09:13:35 -0800) it happened "Miem"
    wrote in
    <1162574014.882886.317050@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>:

    >Hi
    >
    >Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary)
    >from RS232 ports?
    >ie what is the MS-Windows' Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux?
    >
    >Thankx
    >
    >Miem

    I dunno what a 'hyperterminal' is, but you can use 'minicom' to
    talk to the serial port.
    It supports some binary protocols too.

    That was the simple answer, the more complicated is that you
    can open the /dev/ttySx from with a program.

    You can also set the serial port parametres, type
    man stty

    And simpy cat from the port, after you did set buadrate etc with stty:
    cat /dev/ttyS0

    Or send something to the port, fore example when a modem is connected:
    in one xterm:
    echo "ATZ" > /dev/ttyS1
    and read in an other xterm
    cat /dev/ttyS1
    OK

    ttyS0 = COM1!!! start counting at zero.

    And of course you can do direct IO to the UARTS too as root, if you want.

  4. Re: Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux

    On 2006-11-03, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

    >> Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary)
    >> from RS232 ports?

    > minicom
    > kermit # <-- the best.
    > cat /dev/ttyS0 > captured # <-- the simpliest

    And if you need to do something more complex (e.g. protocol
    aware), I find that slapping together a little custom app using
    Python and pyserial is usually pretty easy.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I FORGOT to do the
    at DISHES!!

  5. Re: Hyperterminal equivalent apps in Linux

    Grant Edwards writes:
    > On 2006-11-03, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
    >>> Which Linux application(s) allow me to capture data (ASCII and binary)
    >>> from RS232 ports?

    >> minicom
    >> kermit # <-- the best.
    >> cat /dev/ttyS0 > captured # <-- the simpliest

    > And if you need to do something more complex (e.g. protocol
    > aware), I find that slapping together a little custom app using
    > Python and pyserial is usually pretty easy.

    After applying an 'advocacy removing filter' (special case of a noise
    reduction filter), this reads as: "You can use a generel purpose
    programming language with some kind of existing support for
    UART-programming to write your own program."

    Who would have guessed that?

+ Reply to Thread