[News] Open Source Foster Innovation; Linux Makes Security Pluggable - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Open Source Foster Innovation; Linux Makes Security Pluggable - Linux ; Open Source Software: Do You Have Time to Exploit It? ,----[ Quote ] | The prevailing wisdom regarding open source communities is that they foster | innovation in software. Members of the open source community not only share | development ...

  1. [News] Open Source Foster Innovation; Linux Makes Security Pluggable

    Open Source Software: Do You Have Time to Exploit It?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The prevailing wisdom regarding open source communities is that they foster
    | innovation in software. Members of the open source community not only share
    | development code, they compete in a meritocracy for bragging rights on key
    | features, patches, and contributions that they deliver at breakneck speed.
    `----

    http://www.bmighty.com/hardware_soft...leID=202103742

    Pluggable Security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While James had no complaints about Smack itself, he expressed concerns
    | regarding the pluggable nature of LSM, which is used by Smack,
    | cautioning, "if LSM remains, security will never be a first class citizen of
    | the kernel," adding, "on a broader scale, we'll miss the potential of Linux
    | having a coherent, semantically strong security architecture." He noted that
    | he'd rather see SELinux as the sole Linux security framework, "merging Smack,
    | however, would lock the kernel into the LSM API. Presently, as SELinux is the
    | only in-tree user, LSM can still be removed."
    `----

    http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Pluggable_Security

    Related:

    Innovation: The REAL Killer App

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
    | years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
    | Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
    | perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
    | development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
    | The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
    | this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
    | with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
    | a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
    | product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
    | but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
    | platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
    | is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
    | over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
    | market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
    `----

    http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    Change and development with open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software. Open source software
    | builds on the innovative nature of people; it comes from people's desire to
    | make something better. It also gives people the skills and resources to
    | become innovative with software. *
    |
    | This is not abstract speculation; a recent report from a group of corporate
    | CIOs states, 'faster product cycles are seen as a big advantage for open
    | source - CIOs believe that product innovation is faster in open source'. *
    `----

    http://www.nccmembership.co.uk/poole..._WEBART_292509

    Apple's Annual Developer's Conference Disappoints For Its Lack of Innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple shares fell 3.45% yesterday on general investor disappointment
    | with what was perceived as a lack of innovation at Apple's annual
    | software developer's conference [WWDC].
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...5_id.html?.v=1

    Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week I have been banging on and on about the total
    | innovation opportunity of using open source software as an
    | enterprise development platform.
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...cing_open.html

    Can you leave innovation to the customer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source innovation: how does it work?
    |
    | Ideas or problems are made freely available to anyone who can be bothered to
    | look at them. They are then aired in online forums, meaning that glitches are
    | ironed out in record time, and the forum creator charges to a manufacturer to
    | develop the prototype and get the product onto the shelves. *
    `----

    http://blogs.theage.com.au/innovator...u_leave_i.html

  2. Re: [News] Open Source Foster Innovation; Linux Makes Security Pluggable

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | While James had no complaints about Smack itself

    Sounds like a line from an Irvine Welsh novel.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    04:48:52 up 55 days, 3:43, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.04

+ Reply to Thread