Delhi FOSS event gets growing attention

,----[ Quote ]
| India Linux User's Group hosted freed.in in collaboration with SIT. It drew
| sponsorship from industry heavyweights Intel, Google, Sun Microsystems and
| others, giving a hint of the growing role that technology built by hobbyists
| is now playing in the global IT sector.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2421842.cms

Related:

Delhi VAR Evolves Training Capsule for Linux Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| He said Linux is the 'perfect match' for India's requirement and hastened to
| add that having developed the products and services, the challenge now is to
| take it to growing number of users and growing the incoming revenue. *
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Ne...83436-741.html
http://tinyurl.com/3x9972

Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam

,----[ Quote ]
| The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has issued orders making free
| software compulsory. It says Linux Operating System should be used for IT
| education in eighth, ninth and tenth standards. *
|
| [...]
|
| For the purpose, fully Linuxbased text books have been prepared for standard
| X and Linux-based supplementary text books have been prepared for standard
| VIII and standard IX. *
`----

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...apuram&Topic=0
http://tinyurl.com/34mrdp

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2283777.cms

Time for a switch?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
| Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados. *
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/P...ow/2257068.cms

Linux becoming visible on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
| on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
| of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
| market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
| going to Microsoft Windows. * *
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/com...Left=0&chkFlg=

Open Source - An Unstoppable Giant *

,----[ Quote ]
| Presently, surfing the internet portal, checking bank balance online, booking
| railway tickets, searching jobs, logging in to a matrimonial site, or paying
| insurance premiums is often done by the application of open source Linux
| operating system. *
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/O...82455-911.html

Contest for students to hit upon real life solutions

| The ‘Code for Freedom’ event, whose title derived from the independent
| spirit emblematic of the open source campaign, is aimed at involving
| students of at least 100 recognised colleges and universities. *
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/19/stor...1953600500.htm

Open Source and the SMB

,----[ Quote ]
| SMBs are getting attracted towards Linux-based servers. Menon says that over
| 70 percent of customers plan to implement Linux-based solutions in some
| manner in the next two years, and the awareness of Linux and its benefits are
| high in the SMB segment. He says, “Less restrictive licensing policies and
| the ability to bundle all the bits and pieces into one comprehensive package,
| instead of first selling the OS, and then charging for access licences and
| every small tool and add on facility is something that SMBs appreciate.” * * *
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...source01.shtml

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=3114

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0707052027.htm

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
| arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
| Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
| period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
| the suse linux migration (June 2007)
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc

Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

,----[ Quote ]
| The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
| Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
| of Microsoft products for this quarter.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...est_microsoft/

Intensified Battle Lines