[News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3 - Linux ; Develop It Yourself ,----[ Quote ] | Nintendo has WiiWare, a means of publishing indie content and making it | available to the Wii's entire audience, and Sony brought Linux to PS3 wi | th the intention of encouraging individuals ...

  1. [News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3

    Develop It Yourself

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nintendo has WiiWare, a means of publishing indie content and making it
    | available to the Wii's entire audience, and Sony brought Linux to PS3 wi
    | th the intention of encouraging individuals to create applications for it.
    |
    | "Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognise
    | Linux programming activities," said the head of the software platform
    | division of SCEI, Izumi Kawanishi, in an interview last year. "Other than
    | game studios tied to official developer licences, we'd like to see various
    | individuals participate in content creation for the PS3."
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...om_top+stories
    http://tinyurl.com/36trvy

    Nintendo has just announced that it had sols 50 million DSs.

    Related:

    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. *
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Ubuntu Linux and Symfony on a PlayStation 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Running linux on a playstation 3 is not a hack, it doesn’t require any
    | hardware modification, won’t disable any feature on your Playstation 3 and is *
    | not difficult to do.
    |
    | Sony officially support running linux on your ps3 with dedicated tools
    | present in the XMB ( Cross-mediabar, the UI of the Playstation 3).
    `----

    http://demenzia.net/2007/08/21/linux...fony-on-a-ps3/

  2. Re: [News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Develop It Yourself
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Nintendo has WiiWare, a means of publishing indie content and making it
    > | available to the Wii's entire audience, and Sony brought Linux to PS3 wi
    > | th the intention of encouraging individuals to create applications for
    > | it.
    > |
    > | "Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also
    > | recognise Linux programming activities," said the head of the software
    > | platform division of SCEI, Izumi Kawanishi, in an interview last year.
    > | "Other than game studios tied to official developer licences, we'd like
    > | to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3."
    > `----

    What??? Do they mean content or do they mean GAMES?????? Is SONY close to
    releasing the keys to the CELL processor???

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: [News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3

    Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:

    > What??? Do they mean content or do they mean GAMES?????? Is SONY
    > close to releasing the keys to the CELL processor???

    A.k.a. the hypervisor.

    Would be nice.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    04:59:53 up 55 days, 3:54, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.10, 0.04

  4. Re: [News] Sony Talks About Linux on the PlayStation2 and PlayStation3

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 03 October 2007 05:02 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:
    >
    >> What??? Do they mean content or do they mean GAMES?????? Is SONY
    >> close to releasing the keys to the CELL processor???

    > A.k.a. the hypervisor.
    >
    > Would be nice.

    Yes, but you can't get hypervisor mode until they sort out some shrewd and
    stealthy rootkit.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
    06:00:01 up 23 days, 4:06, 5 users, load average: 0.66, 0.94, 1.15