[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed - Linux ; Microsoft Vista Business sales slow, XP stays steady in European IT channels, says Context ,----[ Quote ] | Channel sales of personal computers equipped with Microsoft's new Vista | operating system for business users, Vista Business, slowed in August 2007 ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed

    Microsoft Vista Business sales slow, XP stays steady in European IT channels,
    says Context

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Channel sales of personal computers equipped with Microsoft's new Vista
    | operating system for business users, Vista Business, slowed in August 2007
    | accounting for 13 percent of unit PC sales through Europe's top IT
    | distributors, according to IT market researchers Context. That's down from 17
    | percent in July 2007.
    `----

    http://computers.tekrati.com/research/9416/

    Here is a cartoon about pre-Vista (Windows ME):

    http://xkcd.com/323/

    What’s Your Verdict on Microsoft Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a recent article, titled “Why Vista Gets In My Way“, Guy Kewney talks
    | about how the release of Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows XP represented an
    | improvement from their predecessors.
    |
    | Guy, does not however, feel the same way about Windows Vista.
    `----

    http://www.johnzpchut.com/wordpress/...crosoft-vista/

    This one is old, but wasn't mentioned here before:

    [Satire] Vista Heralds Bold New Era in Solitaire, Minesweeper

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With all these features, it's no wonder Vista requires a leading-edge
    | processor, a bigger hard drive, and a full gigabyte of RAM to operate. Some
    | in the media, of course, complain that the system requirements are too steep
    | for many solitaire fans. These folks seem to think they can shell out $400
    | for Vista with its intense graphics, glassy buttons and new age "clicky"
    | sounds, and that their sluggish two-year-old computers would somehow
    | magically handle the load.
    `----

    http://www.ridiculopathy.com/news_detail.php?id=1757

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%),O/S Still Loathed

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft Vista Business sales slow, XP stays steady in European IT channels,
    > says Context
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Channel sales of personal computers equipped with Microsoft's new Vista
    > | operating system for business users, Vista Business, slowed in August 2007
    > | accounting for 13 percent of unit PC sales through Europe's top IT
    > | distributors, according to IT market researchers Context. That's down from 17
    > | percent in July 2007.
    > `----
    >
    > http://computers.tekrati.com/research/9416/

    Your post's subject line contains an error.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:36:40 GMT
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft Vista Business sales slow, XP stays steady in European IT channels,
    >> says Context
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Channel sales of personal computers equipped with Microsoft's new Vista
    >> | operating system for business users, Vista Business, slowed in August 2007
    >> | accounting for 13 percent of unit PC sales through Europe's top IT
    >> | distributors, according to IT market researchers Context. That's down from 17
    >> | percent in July 2007.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://computers.tekrati.com/research/9416/

    > Your post's subject line contains an error.

    Subject corrected. See

    http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- well, he did find an error
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >Subject corrected. See
    >
    >http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >
    >:-)

    Interesting quote from the above article:

    "Ahead of Vista's release, the software maker said that it expected
    businesses to adopt the new operating system at twice the rate of XP
    during its first year on the market. "

    Could that be anything but a bold LIE on Micro$oft's part? I mean,
    HOW could they expect that, when they knew damn well that Vista was a
    "bigger change" from XP than what XP was from 2k.

    Drivers changed, hardware stopped working, software stopped working,
    significantly more computing power and memory are required.

    There's *no way* that they could have honestly believed what they told
    the market. Isn't that illegal?

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:45:29 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>Subject corrected. See
    >>
    >>http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >>
    >>:-)

    > Interesting quote from the above article:
    >
    > "Ahead of Vista's release, the software maker said that it expected
    > businesses to adopt the new operating system at twice the rate of XP
    > during its first year on the market. "

    Wow. Someone's seriously confused or deluded, then,
    in Microsoft's Marketing Department. (!!)

    > Could that be anything but a bold LIE on Micro$oft's part? I mean,
    > HOW could they expect that, when they knew damn well that Vista was a
    > "bigger change" from XP than what XP was from 2k.

    There are presumably multiple issues involved. Personally,
    I'm not sure it was a lie as such -- mostly because it was
    an expectation/opinion/apprehension. Were Microsoft in
    possession of, say, polling/beta data that suggested that
    the uptake was or would be far below their statements,
    then it might be a lie (it can't be perjury unless
    admitted to in open court but it might be market
    manipulation in that case); otherwise it's merely a
    mistaken opinion/apprehension.

    Take your pick: delusion, incompetence, denial, or malevolence. :-)
    Microsoft loses no matter which.

    > Drivers changed, hardware stopped working, software stopped working,
    > significantly more computing power and memory are required.
    >
    > There's *no way* that they could have honestly believed what they told
    > the market. Isn't that illegal?

    Dunno where that would fall under, admittedly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%),O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:36:40 GMT
    > :
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Microsoft Vista Business sales slow, XP stays steady in European IT channels,
    >>> says Context
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://computers.tekrati.com/research/9416/

    >> Your post's subject line contains an error.

    > Subject corrected. See
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >
    > :-)

    Wrong again, but in a different way.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:56:29 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:36:40 GMT
    >> :

    >>> Your post's subject line contains an error.

    >> Subject corrected. See
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >>
    >> :-)
    >>

    > Wrong again, but in a different way.

    So what is the correct title, then?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%),O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:56:29 GMT
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:36:40 GMT
    >>> :

    >>> Subject corrected. See
    >>>
    >>> http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >>>
    >>> :-)
    >>>

    >> Wrong again, but in a different way.

    > So what is the correct title, then?

    The link you provided described the trend in retail-boxed Vista sales,
    not general Vista sales. Did you notice that?

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:38:54 GMT
    <2MzMi.18071$B25.2596@news01.roc.ny>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:56:29 GMT
    >> :

    >>> Wrong again, but in a different way.

    >> So what is the correct title, then?
    >>

    > The link you provided described the trend in retail-boxed Vista sales,
    > not general Vista sales. Did you notice that?

    Actually, no. But OK...are general Vista sales and in retail-boxed
    Vista sales up or down?

    Clearly, I am in the wrong here, and Vista is doing wonderfully.
    Please give me some accurate figures.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 02 October 2007 19:45 : \____

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>Subject corrected. See
    >>
    >>http://www.news.com/Running-the-numb...3-6207375.html
    >>
    >>:-)

    > Interesting quote from the above article:
    >
    > "Ahead of Vista's release, the software maker said that it expected
    > businesses to adopt the new operating system at twice the rate of XP
    > during its first year on the market. "
    >
    > Could that be anything but a bold LIE on Micro$oft's part? I mean,
    > HOW could they expect that, when they knew damn well that Vista was a
    > "bigger change" from XP than what XP was from 2k.
    >
    > Drivers changed, hardware stopped working, software stopped working,
    > significantly more computing power and memory are required.
    >
    > There's *no way* that they could have honestly believed what they told
    > the market. Isn't that illegal?

    Novell has gotten away with marketing lies recently and Dana Blankenhorn
    suggested that these were possibly "white lies". That's why we need to discuss
    this and point out scummy statements.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
    Swap: 1510068k total, 466292k used, 1043776k free, 74372k cached

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 03 October 2007 00:05 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:38:54 GMT
    > <2MzMi.18071$B25.2596@news01.roc.ny>:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:56:29 GMT
    >>> :

    >>> So what is the correct title, then?
    >>>

    >> The link you provided described the trend in retail-boxed Vista sales,
    >> not general Vista sales. Did you notice that?

    > Actually, no. But OK...are general Vista sales and in retail-boxed
    > Vista sales up or down?
    >
    > Clearly, I am in the wrong here, and Vista is doing wonderfully.
    > Please give me some accurate figures.

    The figures that correspond to boxed product sales can be extrapolated.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Every beginning must start somewhere

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%),O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Please give me some accurate figures.

    I am not an expert. I was trying to get _you_ to do that. :-)

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed

    OK wrote:
    > Keep dreaming:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista

    Dreaming is ALL "advocates" can do, since reality always smacks them upside
    their deformed skulls.

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed

    After takin' a swig o' grog, OK belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Keep dreaming:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista

    Heck, man, that graph's got a lower slope than your forehead!

    --
    Neanderthal rox!

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-17%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:47:10 GMT
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, OK belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Keep dreaming:
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista

    > Heck, man, that graph's got a lower slope than your forehead!

    The graph is about what one would expect with a 4.5 year machine
    lifetime; it is very linear after the machine's inauguration.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:26:37 GMT
    <1lBMi.17974$ya1.3114@news02.roc.ny>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Please give me some accurate figures.

    > I am not an expert. I was trying to get _you_ to do that. :-)

    OK. 7.38% uptake as of May, consistent with a 4.5 year
    machine lifetime. As of July 2011 Linux and Windows
    XP will cease to exist (along with all other operating
    systems such as VMS, Solaris, HP/UX, and QNX), though the
    inevitable "doom date" may be rolled back a few months or
    years depending on events to come. For example, a nuclear
    attack on Iran (or an Iranian nuclear attack on us) may set
    things back a bit. :-) However, never fear; the government
    has a 45-day (or so) plan to get things back in order
    should the unthinkable happen; can't disrupt business,
    after all. Therefore, that would be only a minor setback.

    A far more devastating scenario might involve the collision
    of an asteroid of 1 mile or so in diameter with our planet,
    but presumably Windows will simply be set back by a year
    or so in that scenario, with government help.

    A "warp missile" attack causing the Sun to implode might
    take a bit longer. Keep an eye on Whoopi Goldberg in that
    particular case.

    The explosion of the Earth (either by internal core fusion,
    a bomb placed therein, or external agencies such as a
    Martian death ray) might be a problem. Anyone seeing a
    character with a spittoon/scrubbrush helmet is advised to
    report him to authorities, specifically the Warner Brothers
    Animation Department -- especially if he's carrying a
    red cylinder (the technical term for this apparently is
    "the Illudium 236 Explosive Space Modulator" or some such)
    with a sparkling fuse (the technical term for *this* is
    probably "earth-shattering kaboom").

    But one can relax if a gray rabbit is following him, and
    don't worry too much about the fur-collared dodo birds.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Could that be anything but a bold LIE on Micro$oft's part? I mean,
    >> HOW could they expect that, when they knew damn well that Vista was a
    >> "bigger change" from XP than what XP was from 2k.

    > There are presumably multiple issues involved. Personally,
    > I'm not sure it was a lie as such -- mostly because it was
    > an expectation/opinion/apprehension. Were Microsoft in
    > possession of, say, polling/beta data that suggested that
    > the uptake was or would be far below their statements,
    > then it might be a lie (it can't be perjury unless
    > admitted to in open court but it might be market
    > manipulation in that case); otherwise it's merely a
    > mistaken opinion/apprehension.
    >
    > Take your pick: delusion, incompetence, denial, or malevolence. :-)
    > Microsoft loses no matter which.

    Well, I know they have all sorts of disclaimers regarding "forward-looking
    statements". Still, they have a responsibility to be SOMEWHAT
    realistic about their future expectations. IMO, they crossed the line,
    certainly morally if not legally.

  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%),O/S Still Loathed

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:26:37 GMT
    > <1lBMi.17974$ya1.3114@news02.roc.ny>:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please give me some accurate figures.

    >> I am not an expert. I was trying to get _you_ to do that. :-)

    > machine lifetime. As of July 2011 Linux and Windows
    > XP will cease to exist (along with all other operating
    > systems such as VMS, Solaris, HP/UX, and QNX), though the
    > inevitable "doom date" may be rolled back a few months or
    > years depending on events to come.

    Last time I checked the MS site, XP security patches were to end on
    04/08/2014, with a possibility of customers paying for special services
    to permit continued use of XP beyond that date.

+ Reply to Thread