[News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party - Linux ; Mac Installed Base Hits 6.6% in September ,----[ Quote ] | Linux and iPhone both showed double-digit gains, up better than 18% and 28%, | respectively. The iPhone data were taken too early to reflect the effect of | the ...

  1. [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

    Mac Installed Base Hits 6.6% in September

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and iPhone both showed double-digit gains, up better than 18% and 28%,
    | respectively. The iPhone data were taken too early to reflect the effect of
    | the software update last week that rendered unlocked phones inoperable.
    `----

    http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...stalled-b.html

    Google's Friends And Family Plan

    | It's no secret that Google is keen to become a pivotal player in the mobile
    | phone world.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/09/30/nok...rtner=yahootix

    Related:

    Google Gphone still on the way, say sources

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TI's handset chipsets will find their way into the Google phone should the
    | company decide to roll out an EDGE-compliant handset, but Qualcomm could turn
    | out to be the winner if Google decides to bet on a 3G model, the sources
    | noted. *
    `----

    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070918PD204.html

    Five Facts About Google Phone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially there was one prototype, but over past few months Google has the
    | mobile OS running on 3-to-5 devices, most of them likely made by HTC, a
    | mobile phone maker, and all have Qwerty apps. The model that folks have seen
    | is very similar to the T-Mobile Dash. Around 3GSM, there were rumors that
    | Google, Orange and HTC were working together on mobile devices. * *
    `----

    http://gigaom.com/2007/09/03/google-phone-facts/

    Linux-Powered Smartphone Use on the Rise

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux smartphone technology will see its fastest growth, with annual growth
    | rates as high as 75 percent, in the 2007 to 2012 period.
    `----

    http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21243

  2. Re: [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Linux and iPhone both showed double-digit gains, up better than 18%
    >> and 28%, respectively. . `----

    > http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...stalled-b.html

    All of a sudden Linux market share CAN be measured, and NetApps is suddenly
    a valid source of Linux data.

    You bozos change your story about as often as you change your distros.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>> Linux and iPhone both showed double-digit gains, up better than 18%
    >>> and 28%, respectively. . `----

    >> http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...stalled-b.html

    > All of a sudden Linux market share CAN be measured, and NetApps is suddenly
    > a valid source of Linux data.
    >
    > You bozos change your story about as often as you change your distros.

    Person A saying X and Person B saying Y isn't "changing stories".

    --
    Tux rox!

  4. Re: [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to JoinThis Party

    Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...stalled-b.html

    >> All of a sudden Linux market share CAN be measured, and NetApps is suddenly
    >> a valid source of Linux data.
    >>
    >> You bozos change your story about as often as you change your distros.

    > Person A saying X and Person B saying Y isn't "changing stories".

    Careful with that data! How browsers report their OS is subject to the
    whim of the user who inputs that data in the reporting option!
    " Net Applications samples operating system data from visitors to a network

    of some 40,000 websites scattered around the world, a method that tends
    to skew

    results toward computers that are heavily used and away from those that are

    gathering dust. It is less a measure of market share than of active
    installed

    base.

    Many Linux and BSD OS users report their system to be a Microsoft one.

    Also, to quote, it is more an indicator of "web user base".

    More importantly, the huge number of Corporate network, Clustering
    systems, and servers, that are in the 76 percentile of all web servers,
    are ignored!

    What was it that was intended to be measured, again?

    Hey, are they counting the servers at the school systems in at least 41
    states, whose school Boards have endorsed GNU/Linux? Coubtful that the
    millions of desktops that switched to GNU/Linux counted but report
    themselves to be Microsoft systems for ease of use on IE only websites
    are even counted properly.

    The figures are probably skewed by an unfathomable amount! Is Google
    counted (Linux on a million servers)? Yahoo (FreeBSD on hundreds of
    thousands of servers)? Microsoft.com on at least 15,000 leased Akamai
    Linux Servers? Hotmail.com on it's 15,000 BSD servers? The Sandia
    National Labs Beowulf Cluster of >10,000 processors, running GNU/Linux?

    Who is left out of the tally?:

    * 8The workstations and servers of industry, assembly, like the
    480,000 desktops and servers at IBM. How many, since 2004, have switched
    to Linux in that corporate plan to cut license fees paid to MS?

    * The many huge clusters at Hollywood Movie studios, in Dream Works,
    Pixar, Disney Studios? NASA, the CIA, the NSA, the DIA, the DOD,
    National Weather Service, NOAA, DOT, FAA Army, Air Force, and Navy
    clusters in Simulation commands, Weather Predicting Commands.

    * The 677 municipalities of Germany that run GNU/Linux. The entire
    infrastructure of Largo, Florida, with 650+ Linux workstations, 1400+
    employees, and emergency services and police online to the server, who
    rarely go 'surfing' on the web.

    * The 56,000 Red Flag Linux workstations and servers that run the
    infrastructure of Beijing, China?

    * The 400 GNU/Linux systems in Microsoft's Redmond Campus Linux Lab?

    * The government and commercial world of computing is huge, and,
    together, reputed to be more extensive than the personal computing user
    base. Are the major Financial markets included? How about the NYSE?
    They all run on GNU/Linux servers, and have millions of GNU/Linux
    workstations!

    * Reuters News Service and Reuters Financial Service are two seperate
    entities that run GNU/Linux. How many of their Linux thousands are counted?

    I have to place the entire market hype program of Microsoft, trying to
    convince the world that they aren't running scared, since at least 2004,
    over in the FUD category.

    Microsoft pads their reports of market share with the entire listing of
    'shipped' product, and product forced into the pipeline, and license
    quantities predicted to be foisted upon OEMs. Much of which is un-used,
    and returned to the Mothership.

    It is all a Shell Game, using figures created by advertising executives
    and shills, to try to convince everyone to get on the Titanic with
    Microsoft, and help re-arrange the rotten deck chairs.

    A million Microsoft virus/malware/trojan/exploits are out there, waiting
    for Microsoft to slip up, or to deny you the 80 security updates (Oops,
    done deal, after any reinstall from the CD Restore set in XP!).

    Just simply try out a LiveCDrom like http://www.mepis.org or
    http://ubuntu.org or http://livecdlist.com ! Join the successful,
    silent majority who are free to own our data, and to function on up to
    200 open windows in 20 Desktop environments, in a concurrent
    multi-tasking, multi-processing system!

  5. Re: [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

    AHappyCamper wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> All of a sudden Linux market share CAN be measured, and NetApps is
    >>> suddenly a valid source of Linux data.
    >>>
    >>> You bozos change your story about as often as you change your
    >>> distros.

    >> Person A saying X and Person B saying Y isn't "changing stories".
    >>

    > Careful with that data! How browsers report their OS is subject to
    > the whim of the user who inputs that data in the reporting option!
    > " Net Applications samples operating system data from visitors to a
    > network

    So now NetApps ISN'T a valid source of Linux data? I'm confused. One
    "advocate" says one thing, another "advocate" says another. Why can't they
    keep their stories straight from one minute to the next?

    > Just simply try out a LiveCDrom like http://www.mepis.org or
    > http://ubuntu.org or http://livecdlist.com ! Join the successful,
    > silent majority who are free to own our data, and to function on up to
    > 200 open windows in 20 Desktop environments, in a concurrent
    > multi-tasking, multi-processing system!

    Linuxiac, don't forget to lie that Linux runs 50x faster than Windows.

  6. Re: Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

    On Oct 3, 6:12 am, AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
> [...]

    > 'shipped' product, and product forced into the pipeline, and license
    > quantities predicted to be foisted upon OEMs. Much of which is un-used,
    > and returned to the Mothership.
    >
    > It is all a Shell Game, using figures created by advertising executives
    > and shills, to try to convince everyone to get on the Titanic with
    > Microsoft, and help re-arrange the rotten deck chairs.
    >
    > A million Microsoft virus/malware/trojan/exploits are out there, waiting
    > for Microsoft to slip up, or to deny you the 80 security updates (Oops,
    > done deal, after any reinstall from the CD Restore set in XP!).
    >
    > Just simply try out a LiveCDrom likehttp://www.mepis.orgorhttp://ubuntu.orgorhttp://livecdlist.com! Join the successful,
    > silent majority who are free to own our data, and to function on up to
    > 200 open windows in 20 Desktop environments, in a concurrent

    Right, the accounting method (hits on selected web sites) does not
    count servers, where Linux has a big market share. They count 0.8%
    Linux, 6.6% Mac, about 90% Windows. DFS obviously didn't read the
    article, or he would have cited the low Linux figure (and he would
    have liked the report better). The article also says that although
    Vista is showing large gains, Windows systems overall are down. Very
    interesting. Also, the Mac gains are mostly due to Intel-based
    machines, which are up sharply.

    The Mac gains are more significant because they are high end
    machines. Mac doesn't sell and $600 loss leaders that have the
    absolute minimum to run the OS (or maybe less than the minimum, when
    it comes to Vista).

  7. Re: [News] Linux Shows Double-digit Growth,Google Poised to Join This Party

    AHappyCamper wrote:

    > Many Linux and BSD OS users report their system to be a Microsoft one.

    All mine do. I have 2 FreeBSD and 4 Linux boxes on my home network, and
    every one of them that has a web browser installed says it's an XP
    machine running IE6.

    Two reasons for that...

    1. Compatibility. Some web authors are too lazy to develop standards
    compliant content and so brain dead they parse USER_AGENT strings to
    discriminate against standards compliant browsers.

    2. Curiosity. I like to see what sort of gaping holes nefarious site
    administrators are poking at these days. No better way to do that than
    pretending to have as many holes as possible.

    > Also, to quote, it is more an indicator of "web user base".

    It's hardly an indication of anything really. Diddling your USER_AGENT
    is one of the oldest and most wide spread tricks in the book. Non-IE
    users do it for various reasons, and the poor sots who are forced to
    run IE do it because they think it makes them safer.

    > What was it that was intended to be measured, again?

    HTTP_USER_AGENT strings. It's sort of like putting on rose colored
    glasses and counting stuff that looks oddly pink.

+ Reply to Thread