CAPTCHA captchas decode old books .. - Linux

This is a discussion on CAPTCHA captchas decode old books .. - Linux ; This is the first step in the Architect enslaving us to the Matrix .. "A weapon used to fight spammers is now helping university researchers preserve old books and manuscripts" 'The test, known as a CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Turing Test ...

  1. CAPTCHA captchas decode old books ..

    This is the first step in the Architect enslaving us to the Matrix ..

    "A weapon used to fight spammers is now helping university researchers
    preserve old books and manuscripts"

    'The test, known as a CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Turing Test To Tell
    Computers and Humans Apart), was originally designed at Carnegie Mellon
    to help to keep out automated programs known as "bots."'

  2. Re: CAPTCHA captchas decode old books ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Tuesday 02 October 2007 11:14 : \____

    > This is the first step in the Architect enslaving us to the Matrix ..
    >
    > "A weapon used to fight spammers is now helping university researchers
    > preserve old books and manuscripts"
    >
    > 'The test, known as a CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Turing Test To Tell
    > Computers and Humans Apart), was originally designed at Carnegie Mellon
    > to help to keep out automated programs known as "bots."'

    These bots are not necessarily a horse of compromised Microsoft Windows PCs. A
    Perl script might be sufficient to establish what's needed. So by 'bots' here
    they refer to an automated task as opposed to a DDOS-like operation. That
    said, many CAPTCHA hacking methods are used by spammers to contaminate the
    Web. The spammers find zombie Microsoft Windows PCs very attractive because
    they serve as a dedicated proxy and make it harder to track down the criminal.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    Cpu(s): 27.2%us, 4.8%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.6%id, 4.9%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: CAPTCHA captchas decode old books ..

    Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:

    > This is the first step in the Architect enslaving us to the Matrix ..
    >
    > "A weapon used to fight spammers is now helping university
    > researchers preserve old books and manuscripts"
    >
    > 'The test, known as a CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Turing Test To
    > Tell Computers and Humans Apart), was originally designed at Carnegie
    > Mellon to help to keep out automated programs known as "bots."'

    Actually, this is a brilliant idea. Get the whole world to proof-read
    OCRed old books using CAPTCHAs (or reCAPTCHAs, as they're calling them).

    It certainly beats Microsoft's vision of the future of CAPTCHAs, which
    was to just blatantly steal somebody else's idea:

    http://www.seopher.com/articles/micr..._as_their_own_

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    02:19:45 up 55 days, 1:14, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.11

+ Reply to Thread