Help needed with IDE-> SATA upgrade and mandriva/windows dual boot - Linux

This is a discussion on Help needed with IDE-> SATA upgrade and mandriva/windows dual boot - Linux ; Im having problems upgrading from a 160GB IDE drive to a Seagate 500GB SATA drive on an MS-6728 Motherboard. The original system had a single windows NTFS partition on the 160GB drive and was configured so I could dual boot ...

  1. Help needed with IDE-> SATA upgrade and mandriva/windows dual boot

    Im having problems upgrading from a 160GB IDE drive to a Seagate 500GB SATA drive on an MS-6728 Motherboard.

    The original system had a single windows NTFS partition on the 160GB drive and was configured so I could dual boot to Windows or Mandriva Linux. Linux and the GRUB loader are installed on a second 20GB IDE drive.

    First I cloned the 160GB drive onto the 500GB SATA drive using Acronis True Image.

    If I leave the 160GB IDE drive unplugged and modify the BIOS to boot from the new SATA drive then everything works fine. I can boot into Windows or Linux as before with no problems.

    However, I thought it would be useful to leave the old drive connected, so I added another entry to the GRUB menu.lst file such that I could choose to boot into windows on the old drive or the new drive:-

    title Windows_hd2
    map (hd0) (hd2)
    map (hd2) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    The GRUB device.map is as follows:-

    (hd0) /dev/sda - the old 160GB IDE drive
    (hd1) /dev/sdb - the 20GB Linux drive
    (hd2) /dev/sdc - the new 500GB SATA drive

    Now if I set the BIOS to boot the old IDE drive, the GRUB menu appears as espected. If I choose the old IDE drive then it boots fine. However, if I choose the new SATA drive then GRUB reports a disk read error and it will not boot.

    After some experimentation, I discovered that if I change the BIOS setting for the IDE controller from Legacy mode to Native mode, then things works as expected: I get no read error and I can boot into windows on either disk. However, choosing Native Mode means I can now no longer see my two DVD drives on the second IDE channel. Hence this is not an option.

    I tried fitting a jumper to the new SATA drive to limit the transfer rate to 150Mb/s but it made no difference.

    Is there really a read error or is there some config issue that I need to correct?
    I have spent all afternoon struggling with this and am getting nowhere. Help!

  2. Re: Help needed with IDE-> SATA upgrade and mandriva/windows dual boot

    This is a limitation of your hardware. I suggest picking up a 24-35$ SATA DVD burner from your local pc shop.

    Time to cut the cord on PATA hardware my friend.

+ Reply to Thread