Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated, With CompatibilityIssues - Linux

This is a discussion on Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated, With CompatibilityIssues - Linux ; If early testing holds true, so much for running Windows 7 reliably on a netbook One key Windows 7 feature driven home again and again by Microsoft's Windows team is the superior system performance with respect to Vista. The team, ...

  1. Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated, With CompatibilityIssues

    If early testing holds true, so much for running Windows 7 reliably on
    a netbook

    One key Windows 7 feature driven home again and again by Microsoft's
    Windows team is the superior system performance with respect to
    Vista. The team, at the recent Professional Developers Conference
    (PDC), showed off a netbook apparently running the OS smoothly,
    leading many to hope that their prayers of a smaller-footprint
    Microsoft OS had been answered....

    InfoWorld has done some extensive early testing on the pre-beta of
    Windows 7 and the results aren't very impressive in terms of
    improvement over Vista....The results were that Windows Vista actually
    beat Windows 7's pre-beta by 5 percent in database tasks, while
    Windows 7 scraped by with a 2 percent win in workflow tasks. [No
    improvement in memory use, but...]

    The reviewer praised the updated UI, stating it was far more than an
    OS X clone. He argues this is the key feature of the new version of
    Windows, not improved performance.

    When the author tried to use the compatibility tab, he found himself
    stuck in an "endless loop of failed installations and mandatory
    reboots". Additionally, Skype 3.8 would randomly crash with no
    apparent cause. Also, VMware Workstation would not launch virtual
    machines, though the exact cause of this problem was not able to be
    determined.

    ....with only a year to go, initial testing is indeed showing a
    troublesome resemblance to Vista in terms of performance and
    compatibility problems, a stark departure from the cheery picture
    painted at Microsoft's PDC.

    http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Benc...ticle13405.htm

  2. Re: Benchmarks Show Windows 7 Pre-Beta to be Bloated, With Compatibility Issues

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > If early testing holds true, so much for running Windows 7 reliably on
    > a netbook
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > ...with only a year to go, initial testing is indeed showing a
    > troublesome resemblance to Vista in terms of performance and
    > compatibility problems, a stark departure from the cheery picture
    > painted at Microsoft's PDC.
    >

    > http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Benc...ticle13405.htm

    Nessuno, Nessuno, Nessuno. What are we going to do with you?

    No one here cares about Windows 7.

    Even were it the greatest Windows ever.

    --
    Marigold: Jealousy
    Orange blossom: Your purity equals your loveliness

+ Reply to Thread