Independence Day Take II - Linux

This is a discussion on Independence Day Take II - Linux ; Re Intellectual Ventures, Nathan Myhrvold's patent trolling company... Just like in the story-line of Independence Day, where the alien death ships slowly but surely positioned themselves over each major city...so too is Intellectual Ventures (I.V.) slowly positioning itself as the ...

  1. Independence Day Take II

    Re Intellectual Ventures, Nathan Myhrvold's patent trolling company...

    Just like in the story-line of Independence Day, where the alien death
    ships slowly but surely positioned themselves over each major
    city...so too is Intellectual Ventures (I.V.) slowly positioning
    itself as the patent overlord over many major industry segments. [The
    eventual outcome:] Complete usurpation of the U.S. Patent system... a
    gigantic tax/toll collector controlling the pulse of innovation in the
    U.S. or, like the move, extermination of innovation.

    [Most patents worthless...] But, owing to the excessive cost...most
    victims of this licensing extortion racket meekly pay-up. What
    Myhrvold has wrought is an obscene abuse of the patent system. It
    should be stopped, either by industry groups banding together to file
    reexaminations, or by Congress, or both.

    .... I.V. and other Trolls are vacuuming away investment into their
    collective war chests. Innovation is being actively mugged, and all
    we’re doing is talking, and talking, and talking, and talking....The
    speed and depth of debate with respect to Patent Reform is laughable
    given the consequences. The debate is factional and shallow and
    useless. We must return to first principles....The future of
    innovation in the U.S. rides on the outcome of these efforts.

  2. Re: Independence Day Take II

  3. Re: Independence Day Take II

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Re Intellectual Ventures, Nathan Myhrvold's patent trolling company...
    >
    > Just like in the story-line of Independence Day, where the alien death
    > ships slowly but surely positioned themselves over each major
    > city...so too is Intellectual Ventures (I.V.) slowly positioning
    > itself as the patent overlord over many major industry segments. [The
    > eventual outcome:] Complete usurpation of the U.S. Patent system... a
    > gigantic tax/toll collector controlling the pulse of innovation in the
    > U.S. or, like the move, extermination of innovation.
    >
    > [Most patents worthless...] But, owing to the excessive cost...most
    > victims of this licensing extortion racket meekly pay-up. What
    > Myhrvold has wrought is an obscene abuse of the patent system. It
    > should be stopped, either by industry groups banding together to file
    > reexaminations, or by Congress, or both.
    >
    > ... I.V. and other Trolls are vacuuming away investment into their
    > collective war chests. Innovation is being actively mugged, and all
    > we?re doing is talking, and talking, and talking, and talking....The
    > speed and depth of debate with respect to Patent Reform is laughable
    > given the consequences. The debate is factional and shallow and
    > useless. We must return to first principles....The future of
    > innovation in the U.S. rides on the outcome of these efforts.

    Myhrvold is a loose cannon. I don't care how intelligent he is, he may be
    treading on the boundaries of evil.

    --
    A watched clock never boils.

+ Reply to Thread