More bloated Linux crapware - Linux

This is a discussion on More bloated Linux crapware - Linux ; 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png...

  1. More bloated Linux crapware

  2. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    DFS wrote:

    > 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by the KDE
    libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE app in a GNOME
    environment.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  3. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    > Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    > Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by
    > the KDE libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE
    > app in a GNOME environment.

    Not sure I understand: are you saying abakus will run without all those
    libraries?

    Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    right there.

  4. Re: More crap from DFS

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:31:27 +0100, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    > Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint. Abakus
    > itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by the KDE
    > libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE app in a
    > GNOME environment.
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    Which only goes to show that DFS doesn't even read the links he posts, &
    doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  5. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    DFS wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    >> Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    >> Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by
    >> the KDE libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE
    >> app in a GNOME environment.

    > Not sure I understand: are you saying abakus will run without all those
    > libraries?

    No. Abakus needs KDE libraries to run. If you have GNOME installed, but not
    KDE, those KDE libraries are installed as a dependency for abakus.

    > Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    > right there.

    No-one is lying. It's simple: abakus is a mere 167kb, but it needs KDE
    libraries to run -- and those latter are some 65MB in size. If you had
    installed, say, Kaffeine, you would have had to install those same KDE
    libraries. Want to run KDE apps? Then you need KDE libs.

    I usually have Mandriva/KDE installed; the moment I install the first GNOME
    app, I also have to install several dozen megabytes of dependencies, in the
    form of GNOME libraries.

    But surely you know about libraries, dependencies and the differences
    between KDE and GNOME?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  6. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    On 2008-11-11, DFS wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    >> Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    >> Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by
    >> the KDE libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE
    >> app in a GNOME environment.

    > Not sure I understand: are you saying abakus will run without all those
    > libraries?
    >
    > Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    > right there.

    root@nomad:/home/jedi# apt-get install abakus
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    abakus
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 253 not upgraded.
    Need to get 370kB of archives.
    After this operation, 758kB of additional disk space will be used.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  7. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    > Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    > Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by the KDE
    > libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE app in a GNOME
    > environment.

    DFS lying his ass off? Say it ain't so!

    You're a LIAR anyway Richard Rasker! It weighs in at 745 kB of disk space,
    not 170kB.

    Looks like Richard Rasker is telling "porkies" again! Haven't you learned
    from your royal ass-kicking from Hadron the Magnificent on dishwashers?

    And, actually, it's a nice little app, for a GUI. I already like it better
    than gcalctool -- it has an RPN mode.

    --
    .... The things love can drive a man to -- the ecstasies, the
    the miseries, the broken rules, the desperate chances, the glorious

  8. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    >>> Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by
    >>> the KDE libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE
    >>> app in a GNOME environment.

    >> Not sure I understand: are you saying abakus will run without all those
    >> libraries?

    Ay yi yi.

    > No. Abakus needs KDE libraries to run. If you have GNOME installed, but not
    > KDE, those KDE libraries are installed as a dependency for abakus.
    >
    >> Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    >> right there.

    > No-one is lying. It's simple: abakus is a mere 167kb, but it needs KDE
    > libraries to run -- and those latter are some 65MB in size. If you had
    > installed, say, Kaffeine, you would have had to install those same KDE
    > libraries. Want to run KDE apps? Then you need KDE libs.
    >
    > I usually have Mandriva/KDE installed; the moment I install the first GNOME
    > app, I also have to install several dozen megabytes of dependencies, in the
    > form of GNOME libraries.
    >
    > But surely you know about libraries, dependencies and the differences
    > between KDE and GNOME?

    DFS is, to put it politely, an idiot.

    --
    And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX
    -- Alan Cox

  9. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    On 2008-11-11, DFS was urged to write the following:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> 15 packages and 65mb of disk space for a piece of OSS junk
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_abakus.png
    >>>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...us_install.png

    >> Sure enough, you managed to fabricate another false complaint.
    >> Abakus itself is less than a maesly 170kb; the 'bloat' is caused by
    >> the KDE libraries, which are required when you install the first KDE
    >> app in a GNOME environment.

    > Not sure I understand: are you saying abakus will run without all those
    > libraries?

    It /may/ not need *all* the libs pulled in. It all depends on how the
    package maintainer configured the package.

    > Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    > right there.

    Oops, you misspelled synaptic. Don't worry, it happens to the best.

    Anyway, synaptic just pulls in the deps required by the package. This
    happens only once. On installing subsequential packages that require
    the same libs nothing extra has to be installed. It's already there.

    Imho this is a thing of beauty rather than an annoyance. A lot of
    libraries are shared among many different programs, decreasing the
    total amount of software to be installed. This is unlike a lot of
    Windows applications, each implementing their own way of performing a
    certain task. Mind that I'm not saying that Windows doesn't have
    shared libs, but it is not as common as in GNU/Linux.

    ~ Tommy
    --
    Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.
    ~ Billy Crystal

  10. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    Dumb****.

    >> Either syncraptic is lying, or you are. But I'm sure not - the proof is
    >> right there.

    Nope, you are clueless fscking asshole, who should know better then to
    jump to such conclusions, considering that you *are* clueless.

  11. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> DFS lying his ass off? Say it ain't so!
    >>
    >> You're a LIAR anyway Richard Rasker! It weighs in at 745 kB of disk
    >> space, not 170kB.

    > Uh-oh! Caught again! I got the file size info from this place:
    > http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp...bakus.0.0.html
    >
    > "163.40 KB 2006-04-06abakus_0.90-6ubuntu1_i386.deb"

    Well, that's the /packed/ version. The current bzip tar file looks to be
    about 367k.

    > I should know better than to reproduce information from the Internet!
    > I always lie my ass off when I do that!

    That's okay. Compared to Hadron and DFS, you're a piker in the lying
    department. And Hadron doesn't even need the Internet to lie his ass off.

    > You can say what you want, but these trolls are often a nice diversion from
    > my current (and frankly extremely boring) translation job :-)
    >
    >> And, actually, it's a nice little app, for a GUI. I already like it
    >> better than gcalctool -- it has an RPN mode.

    > Nah, all those disciples from the Microsoft Church and Bill the Saviour will
    > claim that it's stupid to have yet another calculator, and that everyone
    > should be better off using just the built-in Windows Calculator ...

    Yeah, I'm sure the Windoze version has the feature mentioned here:

    http://purinchu.net/abakus/

    --
    First off - Quake is simply incredible. It lets you repeatedly kill your
    boss in the office without being arrested.

  12. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    [snips]

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:21:52 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >> But surely you know about libraries, dependencies and the differences
    >> between KDE and GNOME?

    > DFS is, to put it politely, an idiot.

    Is he still around? Presumably he and Hadron are still doing their
    little mating dance, flashing their plumage for each other, seeing who
    has the shiniest tail feathers.

    It's just _so_ nice not to have to see their stuff anymore.

  13. Re: More bloated Linux crapware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:21:52 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >>> But surely you know about libraries, dependencies and the differences
    >>> between KDE and GNOME?

    >> DFS is, to put it politely, an idiot.

    > Is he still around? Presumably he and Hadron are still doing their
    > little mating dance, flashing their plumage for each other, seeing who
    > has the shiniest tail feathers.
    >
    > It's just _so_ nice not to have to see their stuff anymore.

    Well, it would be, if people didn't respond to them.

    --
    Secretary's Revenge:
    Filing almost everything under "the".