[News] Anti-Linux BBC Drone Flies Over to Microsoft - Linux

  1. [News] Anti-Linux BBC Drone Flies Over to Microsoft

    Highfield joins Microsoft after just four months at Project Kangaroo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As director of future media and technology, Highfield cut a controversial
    | figure at the BBC. Reg sources blamed him for the culture of commitees and
    | waste that saw iPlayer development take several years and run millions
    | over-budget. In the last months of his reign a new management team was
    | brought in to rapidly develop a streaming version that has proved much more
    | successful than the unwieldy P2P client he oversaw.
    |
    | Open source advocates also accused him of being too close to Microsoft...
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...uits_kangaroo/

    Ashley Highfield Goes to...Guess Where?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft.
    |
    | At least it's symmetric: Erik Huggers goes from Microsoft to the BBC, and
    | Highfield goes from the BBC to Microsoft, via Kangaroo. Let's keep it cosy,
    | eh?
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ess-where.html

    Recent:

    iPlayer coming to Macs... but no word on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Highlighting the marginal Linux audience is a risky move for Thomson, after
    | his director of future media and technology, Ashley Highfield, got himself
    | into hot water with open-source advocates last year by declaring the BBC
    | website had only 400-600 Linux users every week. * *
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/163722/i...-on-linux.html

    BBC to put shows on iTunes 'next week'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Worldwide services are distinct from the BBC iPlayer, which offers programmes
    | broadcast in the last seven days online for free. Ashley Highfield, the man
    | with ultimate responsibility for the BBC's online efforts, has indicated
    | iPlayer will be available via the AppleTV set-top box, however. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...ldwide_itunes/

    Related:

    Status Quo: Can't watch the news in Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you can see, we had one site that improved (CBS News) and one site that
    | has actually gotten worse (BBC News). Congratulations to CBS news for joining
    | the 21-century. I am not sure what to say about BBC News. Apparently, the BBC
    | is now using a new video player called the "BBC iPlayer", which only supports
    | Microsoft Windows operating systems. Because of this, there was a lot of
    | controversy about the highly restricted player, including this petition. * *
    `----

    http://useopensource.blogspot.com/20...-in-linux.html

    BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
    | fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
    | the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
    | information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
    | functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
    | end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
    | the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
    | neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
    | Open Rights Group. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...ps-on-iplayer/

    BBC Corrupted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
    | today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
    | duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
    | of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
    | system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
    | own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital *
    | Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
    | allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC. * * *
    `----

    http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

    BBC iPlayer Protests

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Who are the people responsible for creating this mess?
    |
    | * * * Mark Thompson, BBC director general (DG)
    | * * * Erik Huggers, group controller at BBC Future Media & Technology
    | * * * Ashley Highfield, director of new media and technology
    |
    | Right now, there is very considerable concern within the BBC that the actions
    | of the Director General and his team are sending the corporation in the wrong
    | direction. The BBC has been embroiled in a number of recent controversies,
    | all linked back to the DG's leadership. *
    `----

    http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest

    Why Linux Users Should Be Furious At BBC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently the BBC had a bit of a wake up call regarding numbers and how many
    | Linux users were really out there. Why does any of this matter? It has to do
    | with something the BBC provides called the iPlayer. Seriously, relying on
    | ActiveX is so "1990's" that it's painful, and as luck would have it, the
    | Linux users who wish to use this BBC player made sure that the BBC knew that
    | they were making the sought after content inaccessible to those people using
    | Linux. * * *
    |
    | No iPlayer for Linux Users, But There Will Be An Alternative. Based on what I
    | have been able to gather thus far, it looks like we will see an Adobe Flash
    | option coming out soon. Then again, who really cares? Seriously, if the BBC
    | is this foolish to ignore how much Linux growth is taking place both in the
    | UK as well as the surrounding countries, then maybe people ought to be
    | looking elsewhere? Is it because this is indeed, the BBC? So there is the
    | belief that this is the people's media? Up until now, I enjoyed much of what
    | the BBC had to offer, but this entire thing is enough to have pushed me away. * * *
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...731&Itemid=449

    Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
    | covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
    |
    | In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
    | Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
    | end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
    | the Vole vast coverage for free.
    |
    | In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
    | ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
    | website.
    |
    | But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
    | fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
    |
    | Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
    | bum that you could barely see her corset.
    `----

    http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

    BBC: Death by a thousand top-slices

    ,----[ Quoet ]
    | So it looks like the end of the unique, state-centric model for funding the
    | BBC. An incoming Conservative administration is unlikely to be more
    | sympathetic to the BBC, with its stifling bureucracy and monopoly control
    | over a compulsory tax. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...c_top_slicing/

  2. Re: [News] Anti-Linux BBC Drone Flies Over to Microsoft

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Highfield joins Microsoft after just four months at Project Kangaroo
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| As director of future media and technology, Highfield cut a controversial
    >| figure at the BBC. Reg sources blamed him for the culture of commitees and
    >| waste that saw iPlayer development take several years and run millions
    >| over-budget. In the last months of his reign a new management team was
    >| brought in to rapidly develop a streaming version that has proved much more
    >| successful than the unwieldy P2P client he oversaw.
    >|
    >| Open source advocates also accused him of being too close to Microsoft...
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...uits_kangaroo/

    Wow, there's a surprise. I wonder whether he went, Economy, Business or
    First Class at my expense?

> [...]
    >| the Vole vast coverage for free.
    >|
    >| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
    >| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
    >| website.
    >|
    >| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
    >| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
    >|
    >| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
    >| bum that you could barely see her corset.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37411
    >

    > http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias
    >

    > BBC: Death by a thousand top-slices
    >
    > ,----[ Quoet ]
    >| So it looks like the end of the unique, state-centric model for funding the
    >| BBC. An incoming Conservative administration is unlikely to be more
    >| sympathetic to the BBC, with its stifling bureucracy and monopoly control

  3. Re: [News] Anti-Linux BBC Drone Flies Over to Microsoft

  4. Re: [News] Anti-Linux BBC Drone Flies Over to Microsoft

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 November 2008 10:13 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>

    >>> Highfield joins Microsoft after just four months at Project Kangaroo
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...uits_kangaroo/

    >> Wow, there's a surprise. *I wonder whether he went, Economy, Business or
    >> First Class at my expense?

    > It's a one-way trip. He got a job there... maybe a 'reward' for the damage he
    > did in the MSBBC (formerly BBC).

    Ah, indeed, so the concerns about corruption were 100% well-founded,
    then. He was a Microsoft mole, spending my licence-fee cash. I wonder
    if it's possible to hold someone responsible for this?