What if the Matrix ran under Windows ? - Linux

This is a discussion on What if the Matrix ran under Windows ? - Linux ; A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :- http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html -- If we wish to reduce our ignorance, there are people we will indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or less ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-

    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

  2. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >
    > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    Thanks Terry! That was WONDERFUL! Personally... I took thered pill...

    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    19:57:55 up 15 days, 8:32, 3 users, load average: 1.05, 1.36, 1.75

    ************************************************** ***************************

  3. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:32:04 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >
    > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    That was funny and a great production job.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  4. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    > A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-

    > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    Hilarious and true.

    The ending was pretty good too, "Ubuntu? I'm going to learn ... Ubuntu?"

    But they missed a great opportunity to end it the way the original did,
    with Neo's "Imagine a world" speech, adapted to be a bit more like this:

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHjT5-XM9o

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:47:34 up 5 days, 9:30, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.02

  5. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-

    >> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    > Hilarious and true.
    >
    > The ending was pretty good too, "Ubuntu? I'm going to learn ... Ubuntu?"

    The whole thing was funny as hell, but Neo bending Clippy was a
    masterstroke.

  6. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    ____/ owl on Tuesday 11 November 2008 02:11 : \____

    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >>> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-

    >>> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    >> Hilarious and true.
    >>
    >> The ending was pretty good too, "Ubuntu? I'm going to learn ... Ubuntu?"
    >>

    > The whole thing was funny as hell, but Neo bending Clippy was a
    > masterstroke.

    Clippy was malware [2] and it had to go, but Microsoft brought [1] it back and
    patented it [3]. It's actually a good patent, ensuring that nobody will put a
    digital brat in charge of non-Microsoft programs.

    ___
    [1] The horrible history of Clippy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Born again: Clippy returns to haunt Office XP
    |
    | Rumours of Clippy's demise were premature, it seems. Now, just when you
    | thought it was safe to return to Office, Microsoft resurrects the infamous
    | paperclip [01 Jun 2001] ┬*
    `----

    http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/article...92,00.htm?r=14

    [2] Microsoft and the Clippy of death

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has issued five new critical security bulletins, offering
    | patches for 14 vulnerabilities in Windows products, including one
    | that could allow the much-derided Clippy software assistant to take
    | full control of a PC on behalf of a bad guy.
    `----

    http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...7-29E6BE17BB81

    [3] Has Microsoft Patented A Successor To Clippy?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Remember Microsoft's Clippy, the annoying animated assistant featured
    | in Office, until it was retired in 2004? Like most people, I found
    | Clippy variously unnerving, obnoxious, and superfluous.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...crosoft_p.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
    Cpu(s): 22.6%us, 5.0%sy, 0.1%ni, 70.6%id, 1.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.4%si, 0.0%st

  7. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:
    >> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-

    >> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    > Hilarious and true.

    That guy reminded me of the Apple dude in the commercials.

    Cookies.

    Clippy.

    Error reports.

    Your free trial of kung fu has expired. "Loading..." bullet

    > The ending was pretty good too, "Ubuntu? I'm going to learn ... Ubuntu?"

    Attention-deficit kicking in. Will stop watching.

    > But they missed a great opportunity to end it the way the original did,
    > with Neo's "Imagine a world" speech, adapted to be a bit more like this:
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHjT5-XM9o

    Well, gizmodo works, but youtube claims my 64-bit box requires the latest
    flash player. Fsck that.

    --
    The Roman Rule:
    The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the

  8. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >
    > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    Cute, but of course they got the OS wrong.

    It's Linux crapware that's the freezing, stuttering, unreliable, glitchy
    mess that reports 17 exabytes of memory being used, dbl-clicks the mouse
    each time you click it, boots to a black screen and hard-freezes randomly.

  9. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    On 2008-11-11, DFS was urged to write the following:
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >>
    >> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    > Cute, but of course they got the OS wrong.

    Actually, the "real" matrix does run on a Unixy system, as can be seen
    in the following screenshot, taken from "Reloaded":

    http://nmap.org/images/matrix/trinit...le-418x250.jpg

    (Thriniy's PC as she tries to gain access to the matrix)

    ~ Tommy
    --
    The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
    they start making vacuum cleaners.

  10. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    TomB espoused:

    > On 2008-11-11, DFS was urged to write the following:
    >> Terry Porter wrote:
    >>> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    >> Cute, but of course they got the OS wrong.

    > Actually, the "real" matrix does run on a Unixy system, as can be seen
    > in the following screenshot, taken from "Reloaded":
    >
    > http://nmap.org/images/matrix/trinit...le-418x250.jpg
    >
    > (Thriniy's PC as she tries to gain access to the matrix)

    That has to be one of the most terrible films I've ever seen... "The
    Matrix", I mean. It's subsequent spin-offs were even worse, the final
    one being totally unwatchable. It wasn't even funny...

  11. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Mark Kent wrote:

    >That has to be one of the most terrible films I've ever seen... "The
    >Matrix", I mean. It's subsequent spin-offs were even worse, the final
    >one being totally unwatchable.

    The first one was excellent, IMO.

  12. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    On 2008-11-11, chrisv wrote:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >>That has to be one of the most terrible films I've ever seen... "The
    >>Matrix", I mean. It's subsequent spin-offs were even worse, the final
    >>one being totally unwatchable.

    > The first one was excellent, IMO.

    It was a clear improvement in American cinema.

    That's not saying much really though. We're talking a pretty low bar there.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  13. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> But they missed a great opportunity to end it the way the original did,
    >> with Neo's "Imagine a world" speech, adapted to be a bit more like this:
    >>
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHjT5-XM9o

    > Well, gizmodo works, but youtube claims my 64-bit box requires the latest
    > flash player. Fsck that.

    Why not try gnash?
    I've heard it can work with flash video now.

  14. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    > Mark Kent wrote:

    >> That has to be one of the most terrible films I've ever seen...
    >> "The Matrix", I mean. It's subsequent spin-offs were even worse,
    >> the final one being totally unwatchable.

    > The first one was excellent, IMO.

    Yeah, it's definitely a Sc-Fi classic, in the same league as Blade
    Runner and Dark City. I have to agree with Mark that the sequels were
    utter garbage though. Then again, most sequels are.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:17:37 up 6 days, 1:00, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.03

  15. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> But they missed a great opportunity to end it the way the original did,
    >>> with Neo's "Imagine a world" speech, adapted to be a bit more like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHjT5-XM9o

    >> Well, gizmodo works, but youtube claims my 64-bit box requires the latest
    >> flash player. Fsck that.
    >>

    > Why not try gnash?
    > I've heard it can work with flash video now.

    It does. But it can't do all the flash formats yet

    For these cases, I keep a 32bit Firefox around
    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  16. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, TomB belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-11, DFS was urged to write the following:
    >> Terry Porter wrote:
    >>> A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    >> Cute, but of course they got the OS wrong.

    > Actually, the "real" matrix does run on a Unixy system, as can be seen
    > in the following screenshot, taken from "Reloaded":
    >
    > http://nmap.org/images/matrix/trinit...le-418x250.jpg
    >
    > (Thriniy's PC as she tries to gain access to the matrix)

    That's what happens when you use ssh1, too.

    Or telnet!

    --
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at
    your side.

  17. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter K÷hlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >>> Well, gizmodo works, but youtube claims my 64-bit box requires the latest
    >>> flash player. Fsck that.
    >>>

    >> Why not try gnash?
    >> I've heard it can work with flash video now.

    > It does. But it can't do all the flash formats yet
    >
    > For these cases, I keep a 32bit Firefox around

    Yeah, I have no troubles on my 32-bit laptop.

    I should be able to get it all to work on my 64-bit system, either via the
    32-bit chroot or nspluginwrapper, but it is one of the lowest of priorities
    for me.

    --
    University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.
    -- C. P. Snow

  18. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Yeah, kind of like "Hadron II". Except the original was pretty ****ty, too.

    --
    A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used.
    -- D. Gries

  19. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Terry Porter wrote:
    > A bit of light relief, and a very well done film :-
    >
    > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/wh...windows-2.html

    Nice one :-)

    --
    Firefox 3.0.3 .::. Thunderbird: 2.0.0.17.::. Ubuntu 8.10

  20. Re: What if the Matrix ran under Windows ?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Homer belched:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

    >>> The first one was excellent, IMO.

    >> Yeah, it's definitely a Sc-Fi classic, in the same league as Blade
    >> Runner and Dark City. I have to agree with Mark that the sequels were
    >> utter garbage though. Then again, most sequels are.

    >Yeah, kind of like "Hadron II". Except the original was pretty ****ty, too.

    LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast