[News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales - Linux ; Quote Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and decreased revenues. Unquote Quote The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    decreased revenues.
    Unquote

    The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.

    The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    off shelves.

    So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    Unquote

    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=88701

    Of course Microsoft are spinning the problem without mentioning Linux,
    but that's SOP for them.

    Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    of growth records.

    Windows ... too bloated, too slow, all back-of-the-bus, today

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    > Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    > decreased revenues.
    > Unquote

    > The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    > pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    > expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    > 2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    > considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.
    >
    > The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    > approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    > by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    > out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    > off shelves.
    >
    > So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    > cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    > because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    > memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    > watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    > Unquote

    25%? According to what the windows loonies post, this is not possible...

    However, I find it all very gratifying.

    Thank you, for the illuminating post.
    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    18:02:10 up 15 days, 6:36, 2 users, load average: 1.98, 2.00, 2.10

    ************************************************** ***************************

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    ____/ Terry Porter on Monday 10 November 2008 22:53 : \____

    > Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    > Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    > decreased revenues.
    > Unquote

    > The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    > pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    > expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    > 2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    > considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.
    >
    > The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    > approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    > by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    > out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    > off shelves.
    >
    > So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    > cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    > because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    > memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    > watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    > Unquote
    >

    > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=88701
    >
    > Of course Microsoft are spinning the problem without mentioning Linux,
    > but that's SOP for them.
    >
    > Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    > important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    > of growth records.
    >
    > Windows ... too bloated, too slow, all back-of-the-bus, today

    BillG has seen the worth of his software sinking close to $0. It's
    patent-trolling time:

    http://techdirt.com/articles/20081108/1744562771.shtml
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...rvold_patents/

    Linux has won the technical battle. Now get the lawyers and shoot down the
    lobbyists. It's the next battle.

    “Intellectual property is the next software.”

    –Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft patent troll

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Swap: 4088500k total, 417880k used, 3670620k free, 264040k cached

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Terry Porter writes:

    > Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    > Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    > decreased revenues.
    > Unquote

    Where do they blame them? That is interesting as I never saw that.

    > The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    > pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    > expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    > 2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    > considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.
    >
    > The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    > approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    > by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    > out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    > off shelves.
    >
    > So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    > cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    > because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    > memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    > watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    > Unquote
    >

    > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=88701
    >
    > Of course Microsoft are spinning the problem without mentioning Linux,
    > but that's SOP for them.

    The great majority of netbooks ship with Windows thats why.

    > Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    > important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    > of growth records.
    >
    > Windows ... too bloated, too slow, all back-of-the-bus, today

    And shipped on the majority of netbooks.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Terry Porter wrote:

    >> Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    >> Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    >> decreased revenues.
    >> Unquote

    >> The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    >> pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    >> expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    >> 2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    >> considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.
    >>
    >> The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    >> approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    >> by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    >> out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    >> off shelves.
    >>
    >> So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    >> cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    >> because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    >> memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    >> watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    >> Unquote
    >>

    > 25%? According to what the windows loonies post, this is not
    > possible...

    Who said that? This is 25% of NEW NETBOOKS. Not laptops. You have been
    reading too many Richard Rasker fabrications.

    I can well believe that 25% of netbooks are Linux.

    And I even pointed out ages ago that linux is perfect for small devices
    for web and email on the move. I wrote a small review telling COLA how
    good I thought the EEE was.

    Don't believe me? Go on. Ask for a link. Dont listen to liars like Willy
    all your life.

    > However, I find it all very gratifying.
    >
    > Thank you, for the illuminating post.

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    > important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    > of growth records.

    And, as more home users realize that Linux works well for browsing, email,
    writing letters, collecting photos and all the things most home users use a
    computer for -- the less of a monopoly Windows will have.

    Not only that, but Microsoft wanted to kill XP -- now they're forced to
    support it (for less money than Vista would have brought in) until at least
    Vaporware 7 comes out. Even then, it'll be hard to sell Vaporware 7 for
    full price on Netbooks, considering that the whole computer costs $300
    (probably less by then). And even 25% of 11 million sales means that close
    to 3 million Linux Netbook computers (not servers) have sold this year --
    many of them to people who have never used Linux before.

    Not too shabby, no matter how the WinTrolls try to spin it. Add that to the
    number embedded devices that are running Linux, its success in the server
    world and the fact that Vista computers are being converted into Linux ones
    and it's been a good year for Linux. Microsoft's monopoly is folding in at
    the edges.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 10 November 2008 23:03 : \____

    > Terry Porter wrote:

    >> Netbooks may be little, but they seem to be causing big problems for
    >> Microsoft, which blames them for a drop in first-quarter earnings and
    >> decreased revenues.
    >> Unquote

    >> The report goes on to note that netbooks are not only growing at a steady
    >> pace, their sales are literally blowing the roof off any analyst
    >> expectations. Sales of the little laptops are set to reach 11 million in
    >> 2008 and shoot up to 41 million by 2012, an outstanding growth level
    >> considering only half a million netbooks were sold last year.
    >>
    >> The little Eee PC from Asus as well as Acer Aspire have counted for
    >> approximately a third of total growth in the PC market in 2008, a record
    >> by anyone standards. And in Europe, where wireless providers are handing
    >> out free netbooks with service contracts, the little machines are flying
    >> off shelves.
    >>
    >> So, how does this affect Microsoft? Well, for starters, a full 25 per
    >> cent of all netbooks run a Linux OS instead of a Microsoft one. Secondly,
    >> because Vista is too demanding in terms of systems requirements and
    >> memory guzzling, most netbooks which do run Windows are running the
    >> watered down version of XP, XP Home.
    >> Unquote
    >>

    > 25%? According to what the windows loonies post, this is not possible...
    >
    > However, I find it all very gratifying.
    >
    > Thank you, for the illuminating post.

    Other sources say over 40%.

    Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
    | for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
    | Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
    | world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
    | ago.
    |
    | For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
    | in Germany...
    `----

    http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/onli..._netbooks_wave

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    In article <2032917.npor2WT10t@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Other sources say over 40%.

    The president of Asus says 30% for their netbooks.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message

    > 25%? According to what the windows loonies post, this is not possible...

    From most accounts, though, the return rate for Linux is very high, some 4
    times the rate for the XP machines, and the net effect is that distributors
    are scaling back their stock for Linux versions. I suspect that the Windows
    7 version for netbooks that will be targeted at the low end hardware
    capabilities of these devices will Linux back to effectively zero as it is
    now in desktops and conventional notebooks.

  10. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    RonB espoused:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    >> important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    >> of growth records.

    > And, as more home users realize that Linux works well for browsing, email,
    > writing letters, collecting photos and all the things most home users use a
    > computer for -- the less of a monopoly Windows will have.
    >
    > Not only that, but Microsoft wanted to kill XP -- now they're forced to
    > support it (for less money than Vista would have brought in) until at least
    > Vaporware 7 comes out. Even then, it'll be hard to sell Vaporware 7 for
    > full price on Netbooks, considering that the whole computer costs $300
    > (probably less by then). And even 25% of 11 million sales means that close
    > to 3 million Linux Netbook computers (not servers) have sold this year --
    > many of them to people who have never used Linux before.
    >
    > Not too shabby, no matter how the WinTrolls try to spin it. Add that to the
    > number embedded devices that are running Linux, its success in the server
    > world and the fact that Vista computers are being converted into Linux ones
    > and it's been a good year for Linux. Microsoft's monopoly is folding in at
    > the edges.

    What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    all.

  11. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Mark Kent belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > RonB espoused:
    >
    >> Not too shabby, no matter how the WinTrolls try to spin it. Add that to the
    >> number embedded devices that are running Linux, its success in the server
    >> world and the fact that Vista computers are being converted into Linux ones
    >> and it's been a good year for Linux. Microsoft's monopoly is folding in at
    >> the edges.

    > What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    > 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    > Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    > all.

    Not only that, it is XP Home (XP Crap).

    --
    Proper treatment will cure a cold in seven days, but left to itself,
    a cold will hang on for a week.

  12. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    On Nov 11, 7:34 am, Mark Kent wrote:
    > RonB espoused:
    >

    > > Terry Porter wrote:

    > >> Our resident genius Flatfish the Wintroll, never considered Netbooks
    > >> important, oddly neither did Microsoft, yet Netbooks are setting unheard
    > >> of growth records.

    > > And, as more home users realize that Linux works well for browsing, email,
    > > writing letters, collecting photos and all the things most home users use a
    > > computer for -- the less of a monopoly Windows will have.

    > > Not only that, but Microsoft wanted to kill XP -- now they're forced to
    > > support it (for less money than Vista would have brought in) until at least
    > > Vaporware 7 comes out. Even then, it'll be hard to sell Vaporware 7 for
    > > full price on Netbooks, considering that the whole computer costs $300
    > > (probably less by then). And even 25% of 11 million sales means that close
    > > to 3 million Linux Netbook computers (not servers) have sold this year --
    > > many of them to people who have never used Linux before.

    > > Not too shabby, no matter how the WinTrolls try to spin it. Add that to the
    > > number embedded devices that are running Linux, its success in the server
    > > world and the fact that Vista computers are being converted into Linux ones
    > > and it's been a good year for Linux. Microsoft's monopoly is folding in at
    > > the edges.

    > What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    > 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    > Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    > all.

    More "innovation" from Redmond!

  13. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    > 100%, linux-based machines. *This market only exists because of Linux.
    > Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    > all.

    Exactly. Once again someone else innovates and Microsoft gloms on.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  14. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .

    >> What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    >> 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    >> Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    >> all.

    And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their logo.
    What does that tell you? You could figure out that there is more to
    business and retail commerce than bits and bytes and brands and marketing
    are strong factors or you could come up with some store that MS can
    illegally exert mind control on tens of millions of buyers. Take your pick.

  15. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    wrote in message

    > More "innovation" from Redmond!

    More limp noodlery from the Linux advocates, more likely. They don't know
    how to sell, they want everything for free.

  16. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    >>> 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    >>> Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    >>> all.

    > And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their
    > logo.

    It tells me that they're a monopoly who have ways of pressuring OEMs to do
    what they want them to do. It also tells me that Microsoft had to back down
    on their "getting rid of XP" pledge and that, to get the business, they had
    to reduce the prices of their OEM licenses significantly -- which is
    why "Microsoft is hurting from Linux Netbook sales." (Read the subject line
    of this thread.)

    So what will Microsoft do when the price of Netbooks drop into the $200
    range? -- which they will. Are they going to give away their cut down
    versions of XP or Vaporware 7 Lite to "compete" (remain a monopoly)? It's
    going to be interesting.

    And 3 million new Linux Netbooks this year alone is still significant number
    and will remain significant, no matter how much WinTrolls try to spin away
    from the facts.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  17. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > More limp noodlery from the Linux advocates, more likely.

    Asus knows how to sell, and their Netbook revolution was made possible by
    Linux.

    Live with it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  18. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, RonB belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> More limp noodlery from the Linux advocates, more likely.

    > Asus knows how to sell, and their Netbook revolution was made possible by
    > Linux.
    >
    > Live with it.

    He can't. It makes him itchy inside his skull.

    --
    The Great Movie Posters:

    *A Giggle Gurgling Gulp of Glee*
    With Pretty Girls, Peppy Scenes, and Gorgeous Revues -- plus a good story.
    -- Tea with a Kick (1924)

    Whoopie! Let's go!... Hand-picked Beauties doing cute tricks!
    GET IN THE KNOW FOR THE HEY-HEY WHOOPIE!
    -- The Wild Party (1929)

    YOU HEAR HIM MAKE LOVE!
    DIX -- the dashing soldier!
    DIX -- the bold adventurer!
    DIX -- the throbbing lover!
    -- The Wheel of Life (1929)

    SEE CHARLES BUTTERWORTH DRIVE A STREETCAR AND SING LOVE
    SONGS TO HIS MARE "MITZIE"!
    -- The Night is Young (1934)

    THAR SHE BLOWS!
    -- Moby Dick

  19. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, amicus_curious belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    >>> 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    >>> Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    >>> all.

    > And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their logo.
    > What does that tell you? You could figure out that there is more to
    > business and retail commerce than bits and bytes and brands and marketing
    > are strong factors or you could come up with some store that MS can
    > illegally exert mind control on tens of millions of buyers. Take your pick.

    Thanks for the corroboration of our understanding of the Microsoft monopoly
    at the /present point in time/ (i.e. diminished from what it was a decade
    ago, but by no means moribund.)

    --
    The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older
    people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood.

  20. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    On 2008-11-11, amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >>
    >> More "innovation" from Redmond!
    >>

    > More limp noodlery from the Linux advocates, more likely. They don't know
    > how to sell, they want everything for free.

    Not at all. I would have gladly paid big money for NeXT or Solaris
    back in the day. Unfortunately neither ran on normal consumer PC's.
    Now of course I can't sell. I am a geek. I BUILD things. I appreciate
    others that appreciate BUILDING things rather than just selling them.

    Detroit vs. Tokyo

    Some people can do more than just tell pleasant lies (sell).

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast