Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    On 2008-11-11, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    >>> 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    >>> Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    >>> all.

    > And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their logo.
    > What does that tell you? You could figure out that there is more to

    ...that there's something missing.

    They get 95% by default.

    This "glass half empty" approach cuts both ways.

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-11, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >> news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .

    >> And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their logo.
    >> What does that tell you? You could figure out that there is more to

    > ...that there's something missing.
    >
    > They get 95% by default.
    >
    > This "glass half empty" approach cuts both ways.
    >
    >> business and retail commerce than bits and bytes and brands and marketing
    >> are strong factors or you could come up with some store that MS can
    >> illegally exert mind control on tens of millions of buyers. Take your pick.

    amicus_egregious always looks on the bright side of things -- for Microsoft.

    --
    Ducks? What ducks??

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:28:57 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    >>
    >> 25%? According to what the windows loonies post, this is not
    >> possible...
    >>

    > From most accounts, though, the return rate for Linux is very high,

    One manuf using a Suse based distro had problems as the distro was't well
    sorted. Microsoft are in bed with Novel Who own Suse, and their distro is
    becoming old, buggy and generally avoided like the plague by Linux
    coders. Oh what a surprise its buggy.

    > some
    > 4 times the rate for the XP machines, and the net effect is that
    > distributors are scaling back their stock for Linux versions. I suspect
    > that the Windows 7 version for netbooks that will be targeted at the low
    > end hardware capabilities of these devices will Linux back to
    > effectively zero as it is now in desktops and conventional notebooks.

    You 'didnt even think about things like Netbooks' until recently. What
    you *think* about what may happen in this market is hardly informed.

    The cat is out of the bag Wintroll, the horse has bolted and the milk is
    spilt. All that's left for you is the crying ..

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:43:13 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:PFjSk.58498$XT1.8204@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> What nobody mentions is that initially, these netbooks were entirely,
    >>> 100%, linux-based machines. This market only exists because of Linux.
    >>> Microsoft had to un-EOL XP in order to get a position in the market at
    >>> all.

    > And MS got an immediate 70 -80% of the business, just by waving their

    BIG STICK!

    > What does that tell you?

    That they are a monopoly.

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

  5. Re: Microsoft hurting from Linux Netbook sales

    ab71-794ce6feca01@r37g2000prr.googlegroups.com...

    >> More "innovation" from Redmond!
    >>

    > More limp noodlery from the Linux advocates, more likely. They don't
    > know how to sell, they want everything for free.

    Petty tyrants have always raged against liberty. The sad thing is that
    Wintrolls like you build the very cage that imprisons them.

    Rage all you like Wintroll, rattle your bars, scream and shout, I'm not
    listening.

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2