Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012 - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012 - Linux ; philo added these comments in the current discussion du jour ... > >> What are you saying, exactly? Wasn't the Bradley Effect >> expected to have been the deciding factor in this election? > > As to Raymond, yes I ...

  1. Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012

    philo added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >> What are you saying, exactly? Wasn't the Bradley Effect
    >> expected to have been the deciding factor in this election?

    > As to Raymond, yes I am sure he was prejudiced (aren't we
    > all?) Maybe I meant that he was merely not the bigot I thought
    > him to be.

    Yeah he was, yeah you are, yeah I am ...

    > Bradley effect?

    Some guy named Bradley, a black man, ran for California's
    governor sometime back but supposedly lost because the polls said
    he was ahead but people changed their minds in the privacy of the
    voting booth. This is what is wrong with PC bull****. If you are
    for someone or against someone - for ANY reason, why not say so?
    Thus, it is now being widely reported that among other important
    historical things about the Obama win, is that he crashed the
    Bradley Effect.

    > Well it seems that those who said they were going to vote for
    > Obama but actually voted for McCain...
    > would probably be cancelled by those who said just the
    > opposite.

    Well, 48% of us did. But, the screwball "winner take all"
    Electoral College system made it seem like a lopsided victory and
    some sort of "mandate." I don't quite see how being pretty much
    neck-and-neck amounts to any mandate at all, nor would there have
    been one if McCain had won.

    > The polls called it fairly closely...it seems they did their
    > homework quite well.

    No, they didn't. Depending on who you listened to, Obama was up
    at least 5 or 6 points and maybe even 9 or above, yet the popular
    vote was about 52-48%, IIRC.

    > Well you have said a lot here
    > and I have rambled on a bit too long.
    >
    > But there is one thing I have forgotten on my comments about
    > the South.
    >
    > In the North, there are plenty of racists...
    > but they pretend not to be...
    > that's why some people say the South is better...
    > at least you know who your enemies are.

    See my story of riding a bus in Detroit, circa 1952 or so.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Most people with power would like to use it wisely, if someone
    believable would tell them how", Robert Townsend in the book "Up
    The Organization"

  2. Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012

    "HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
    > philo added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >

    > >> What are you saying, exactly? Wasn't the Bradley Effect
    > >> expected to have been the deciding factor in this election?

    > > As to Raymond, yes I am sure he was prejudiced (aren't we
    > > all?) Maybe I meant that he was merely not the bigot I thought
    > > him to be.

    > Yeah he was, yeah you are, yeah I am ...
    > >
    > > Bradley effect?

    > Some guy named Bradley, a black man, ran for California's
    > governor sometime back but supposedly lost because the polls said
    > he was ahead but people changed their minds in the privacy of the
    > voting booth. This is what is wrong with PC bull****. If you are
    > for someone or against someone - for ANY reason, why not say so?
    > Thus, it is now being widely reported that among other important
    > historical things about the Obama win, is that he crashed the
    > Bradley Effect.
    >
    > > Well it seems that those who said they were going to vote for
    > > Obama but actually voted for McCain...
    > > would probably be cancelled by those who said just the
    > > opposite.

    > Well, 48% of us did. But, the screwball "winner take all"
    > Electoral College system made it seem like a lopsided victory and
    > some sort of "mandate." I don't quite see how being pretty much
    > neck-and-neck amounts to any mandate at all, nor would there have
    > been one if McCain had won.
    >
    > > The polls called it fairly closely...it seems they did their
    > > homework quite well.

    > No, they didn't. Depending on who you listened to, Obama was up
    > at least 5 or 6 points and maybe even 9 or above, yet the popular
    > vote was about 52-48%, IIRC.
    > >
    > > Well you have said a lot here
    > > and I have rambled on a bit too long.
    > >
    > > But there is one thing I have forgotten on my comments about
    > > the South.
    > >
    > > In the North, there are plenty of racists...
    > > but they pretend not to be...
    > > that's why some people say the South is better...
    > > at least you know who your enemies are.
    > >

    > See my story of riding a bus in Detroit, circa 1952 or so.

    One comment...as I have gotten pretty busy here:

    I think the Electoral College ***Sucks***

  3. Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012

    philo added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    [snip]
    > One comment...as I have gotten pretty busy here:
    >
    > I think the Electoral College ***Sucks***

    Have you been keeping track of how many things we agree on here?!
    The Electoral College was invented by wealthy intelligencia who
    were deathly afraid of a bunch of illiterate farmers running off
    with the presidency and there hasn't been even one president since
    Washington that has the political courage to say "hey, why in Hell
    do we do this nonsense thing, anyway?".

    Again, to this years tally, the popular vote was something like
    52%/48% give or take but the EC was about 360 to 180, or maybe some
    such. Worse than this oblique stat was the 2000 race where George,
    Jr was that rare bird - a minority president not for his race but
    because he won less than 50% of the popular vote and needed the
    Supreme Court to count those 150 or so hanging ****ing chads!

    If you ever get bored, grab a digital copy of the Declaration of
    Independence and the full text of the Consitution and Bill of
    Rights and we'll have us one helluva debate! But, I dare say we
    might have some DISagreement on the true intent of "A well
    regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be
    infringed.". There's 3 commas and 4 clauses to this short sentence
    yet nobody EVER quotes the first part, right?

    See ya, the better half's bugging me to go to some restaurant.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Most people with power would like to use it wisely, if someone
    believable would tell them how", Robert Townsend in the book "Up
    The Organization"

  4. Re: 64% or republicans want Palin to run in 2012

    > philo added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    > [snip]
    > > One comment...as I have gotten pretty busy here:
    > >
    > > I think the Electoral College ***Sucks***
    > >

    > Have you been keeping track of how many things we agree on here?!
    > The Electoral College was invented by wealthy intelligencia who
    > were deathly afraid of a bunch of illiterate farmers running off
    > with the presidency and there hasn't been even one president since
    > Washington that has the political courage to say "hey, why in Hell
    > do we do this nonsense thing, anyway?".
    >
    > Again, to this years tally, the popular vote was something like
    > 52%/48% give or take but the EC was about 360 to 180, or maybe some
    > such. Worse than this oblique stat was the 2000 race where George,
    > Jr was that rare bird - a minority president not for his race but
    > because he won less than 50% of the popular vote and needed the
    > Supreme Court to count those 150 or so hanging ****ing chads!
    >
    > If you ever get bored, grab a digital copy of the Declaration of
    > Independence and the full text of the Consitution and Bill of
    > Rights and we'll have us one helluva debate! But, I dare say we
    > might have some DISagreement on the true intent of "A well
    > regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    > the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be
    > infringed.". There's 3 commas and 4 clauses to this short sentence
    > yet nobody EVER quotes the first part, right?
    >
    > See ya, the better half's bugging me to go to some restaurant.

    OK!!!

+ Reply to Thread