Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning - Linux ; http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BU54140O0T.DTL Microsoft is losing revenue to Linux and this is only the beginning. New ultra-low cost netbooks ( Frankly, I think that Microsoft has lasted much longer than I would have thought. Almost a decade ago, when I first got ...

  1. Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BU54140O0T.DTL

    Microsoft is losing revenue to Linux and this is only the beginning. New ultra-low cost netbooks (< $100 USD) will appear before the end of this year and next year. During the holiday season 2009, Microsoft's Windows 7 will need to battle dozens of sub $75 USD netbooks, dirt cheap, which lack even the ability to run Windows XP, turning every sale into a lost Windows customer. Many of these users will be thrilled to find that virusses and malware are simply non-existent on Linux and that these devices are extremely reliable, almost appliance like devices. Virus and malware writers will be worried since their ability to spam and perform DDoS attacks will be comprimised if not lost.

    Frankly, I think that Microsoft has lasted much longer than I would have thought. Almost a decade ago, when I first got involved with Linux, I was convinced that within 5 years the market would have moved on to Linux, due to its incredible reliability, security, flexibility and ultra-low cost. It took a little longer than I thought, but things are finally starting to accelerate and impending doom is near for Ballmer and Co (Bill got out just in time). Next year we will see an enormous uptake of Linux netbooks and PC's, quickly eating into Windows' marketshare. I suspect that in 2010 Ubuntu will be the distro chosen by most businesses for their standard desktop.

  2. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    On Nov 10, 12:02*pm, Dave U. Random inter.net> wrote:
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/09/BU54140O0....
    >
    > Microsoft is losing revenue to Linux and this is only the beginning. New ultra-low cost netbooks (< $100 USD) will appear before the end of this year and next year. During the holiday season 2009, Microsoft's Windows 7 willneed to battle dozens of sub $75 USD netbooks, dirt cheap, which lack eventhe ability to run Windows XP, turning every sale into a lost Windows customer. Many of these users will be thrilled to find that virusses and malware are simply non-existent on Linux and that these devices are extremely reliable, almost appliance like devices. Virus and malware writers will be worried since their ability to spam and perform DDoS attacks will be comprimised if not lost.
    >
    > Frankly, I think that Microsoft has lasted much longer than I would have thought. Almost a decade ago, when I first got involved with Linux, I was convinced that within 5 years the market would have moved on to Linux, due to its incredible reliability, security, flexibility and ultra-low cost. It took a little longer than I thought, but things are finally starting to accelerate and impending doom is near for Ballmer and Co (Bill got out just intime). Next year we will see an enormous uptake of Linux netbooks and PC's, quickly eating into Windows' marketshare. I suspect that in 2010 Ubuntu will be the distro chosen by most businesses for their standard desktop.

    I figure there will also be a taxpayer-funded bailout of Microsoft.
    There's already been a taxpayer-funded bailout of the credit/banker
    industry, and now there's talk of a taxpayer-funded bailout of the
    American auto industry.

  3. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    http://girishmallapragada.blogspot.c...out-story.html

    Sunday, April 13, 2008
    Microsoft, Fed and a future bailout story

    This might happen in the not too distant future. A Fed bailout of
    Microsoft. Just as the Fed bailed out Bear, it might have to
    eventually bail out Microsoft as well. It is no secret that Vista has
    been a big flop for Microsoft. What could now happen is Microsoft
    tries to scramble desperately to develop a new OS that is not like
    Vista and given that MS never learns from its mistakes all we will we
    get is some variant of XP and Vista. (gates has already called this
    Windows 7). As usual, due to to Microsoft's thoughtlessness it will
    be a flop and what the world will end up with is a monopoly that
    cannot address the needs of millions of consumers and firms. Very
    sensitive financial data and hosts of other things will be continue to
    be hosted on old legacy Microsoft offerings that lag behind other
    technologies. One the day of reckoning when no one is prepared, there
    will be a system wide crash and with it the stock markets. The Fed
    will be asked to bail out Microsoft because a further collapse needs
    to be prevented. The Fed will agree and rescue MS shareholders while
    leaving million sof MS consumers at a loss.

    I urge what we need is a consumer bill of rights from Microsoft. The
    right to be free and be able to insist for software that can work with
    other programs. Also, these rights should enforce hardware providers
    not to develop hardware that is OS dependent. The driver developers
    need to be arm-twisted as well. The reason we need the institutions
    to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
    forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
    on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear. We deserve much
    better and much more than that.

  4. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:15 : \____

    http://girishmallapragada.blogspot.c...out-story.html

    > Sunday, April 13, 2008
    > Microsoft, Fed and a future bailout story
    >
    > This might happen in the not too distant future. A Fed bailout of
    > Microsoft. Just as the Fed bailed out Bear, it might have to
    > eventually bail out Microsoft as well. It is no secret that Vista has
    > been a big flop for Microsoft. What could now happen is Microsoft
    > tries to scramble desperately to develop a new OS that is not like
    > Vista and given that MS never learns from its mistakes all we will we
    > get is some variant of XP and Vista. (gates has already called this
    > Windows 7). As usual, due to to Microsoft's thoughtlessness it will
    > be a flop and what the world will end up with is a monopoly that
    > cannot address the needs of millions of consumers and firms. Very
    > sensitive financial data and hosts of other things will be continue to
    > be hosted on old legacy Microsoft offerings that lag behind other
    > technologies. One the day of reckoning when no one is prepared, there
    > will be a system wide crash and with it the stock markets. The Fed
    > will be asked to bail out Microsoft because a further collapse needs
    > to be prevented. The Fed will agree and rescue MS shareholders while
    > leaving million sof MS consumers at a loss.
    >
    > I urge what we need is a consumer bill of rights from Microsoft. The
    > right to be free and be able to insist for software that can work with
    > other programs. Also, these rights should enforce hardware providers
    > not to develop hardware that is OS dependent. The driver developers
    > need to be arm-twisted as well. The reason we need the institutions
    > to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
    > forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
    > on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear. We deserve much
    > better and much more than that.

    Some say that Microsoft starts entering the medical scene (people's lives) and
    storting archives in OOXML for its impending bankruptcy protection (think
    SGI).

    "For instance, Microsoft, the world’s most valuable company, declared a profit
    of $4.5 billion in 1998; when the cost of options awarded that year, plus the
    change in the value of outstanding options, is deducted, the firm made a loss
    of $18 billion, according to Smithers."

    http://etheridge.ca/articles/economist-options.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
    compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
    the two."
    --Government official

  5. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:13 : \____

    > On Nov 10, 12:02*pm, Dave U. Random > inter.net> wrote:
    >> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/09/BU54140O0...
    >>
    >> Microsoft is losing revenue to Linux and this is only the beginning. New
    >> ultra-low cost netbooks (< $100 USD) will appear before the end of this year
    >> and next year. During the holiday season 2009, Microsoft's Windows 7 will
    >> need to battle dozens of sub $75 USD netbooks, dirt cheap, which lack even
    >> the ability to run Windows XP, turning every sale into a lost Windows
    >> customer. Many of these users will be thrilled to find that virusses and
    >> malware are simply non-existent on Linux and that these devices are
    >> extremely reliable, almost appliance like devices. Virus and malware writers
    >> will be worried since their ability to spam and perform DDoS attacks will be
    >> comprimised if not lost.
    >>
    >> Frankly, I think that Microsoft has lasted much longer than I would have
    >> thought. Almost a decade ago, when I first got involved with Linux, I was
    >> convinced that within 5 years the market would have moved on to Linux, due
    >> to its incredible reliability, security, flexibility and ultra-low cost. It
    >> took a little longer than I thought, but things are finally starting to
    >> accelerate and impending doom is near for Ballmer and Co (Bill got out just
    >> in time). Next year we will see an enormous uptake of Linux netbooks and
    >> PC's, quickly eating into Windows' marketshare. I suspect that in 2010
    >> Ubuntu will be the distro chosen by most businesses for their standard
    >> desktop.

    > I figure there will also be a taxpayer-funded bailout of Microsoft.
    > There's already been a taxpayer-funded bailout of the credit/banker
    > industry, and now there's talk of a taxpayer-funded bailout of the
    > American auto industry.

    There is a resemblance to be noted here. Big bosses with big bonuses amassed
    fortunes (maybe in overseas bank account) while leaving their companies at
    high risk or empty shells with no real assets. With the bailout, people pay
    the price while the Fat Cats get to keep their stash and get more bonuses for
    their corruption.

    Similarly, SweatyB, BillG and others built an empire of personal wealth but
    Microsoft is already nearing debt BASED ON PUBLIC DISCLOSURES. The /reality/
    could be more similar to Enron's.

    "For instance, Microsoft, the world’s most valuable company, declared a profit
    of $4.5 billion in 1998; when the cost of options awarded that year, plus the
    change in the value of outstanding options, is deducted, the firm made a loss
    of $18 billion, according to Smithers."

    http://etheridge.ca/articles/economist-options.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate

  6. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:13 : \____
    >
    >>> Frankly, I think that Microsoft has lasted much longer than I would have
    >>> thought. Almost a decade ago, when I first got involved with Linux, I was
    >>> convinced that within 5 years the market would have moved on to Linux, due
    >>> to its incredible reliability, security, flexibility and ultra-low cost. It
    >>> took a little longer than I thought, but things are finally starting to
    >>> accelerate and impending doom is near for Ballmer and Co (Bill got out just
    >>> in time). Next year we will see an enormous uptake of Linux netbooks and
    >>> PC's, quickly eating into Windows' marketshare. I suspect that in 2010
    >>> Ubuntu will be the distro chosen by most businesses for their standard
    >>> desktop.

    >> I figure there will also be a taxpayer-funded bailout of Microsoft.
    >> There's already been a taxpayer-funded bailout of the credit/banker
    >> industry, and now there's talk of a taxpayer-funded bailout of the
    >> American auto industry.

    > There is a resemblance to be noted here. Big bosses with big bonuses amassed
    > fortunes (maybe in overseas bank account) while leaving their companies at
    > high risk or empty shells with no real assets. With the bailout, people pay
    > the price while the Fat Cats get to keep their stash and get more bonuses for
    > their corruption.
    >
    > Similarly, SweatyB, BillG and others built an empire of personal wealth but
    > Microsoft is already nearing debt BASED ON PUBLIC DISCLOSURES. The /reality/
    > could be more similar to Enron's.

    Well, they all have 70 days to cash out.

    I hope a little balance comes back with the next administration.

    --
    Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little.

  7. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Darth Chaos belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://girishmallapragada.blogspot.c...out-story.html
    >
    > Sunday, April 13, 2008
    > Microsoft, Fed and a future bailout story
    >
    > This might happen in the not too distant future. A Fed bailout of
    > Microsoft. Just as the Fed bailed out Bear, it might have to
    > eventually bail out Microsoft as well. It is no secret that Vista has
    > been a big flop for Microsoft. What could now happen is Microsoft
    > tries to scramble desperately to develop a new OS that is not like
    > Vista and given that MS never learns from its mistakes all we will we
    > get is some variant of XP and Vista. (gates has already called this
    > Windows 7). As usual, due to to Microsoft's thoughtlessness it will
    > be a flop and what the world will end up with is a monopoly that
    > cannot address the needs of millions of consumers and firms. Very
    > sensitive financial data and hosts of other things will be continue to
    > be hosted on old legacy Microsoft offerings that lag behind other
    > technologies.

    Anybody remember this one?

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/95904...k_windows.html

    Gates Threatens to Yank Windows

    In his written direct testimony, Gates claimed that having to sell an
    unbound version of Windows would not only fragment the OS, but would
    force Microsoft to pull the product from the market. This is because it
    would be impossible for Microsoft to meet a requirement that the unbound
    version must be functionally equivalent to existing versions of Windows.

    > One the day of reckoning when no one is prepared, there
    > will be a system wide crash and with it the stock markets. The Fed
    > will be asked to bail out Microsoft because a further collapse needs
    > to be prevented. The Fed will agree and rescue MS shareholders while
    > leaving million sof MS consumers at a loss.
    >
    > I urge what we need is a consumer bill of rights from Microsoft. The
    > right to be free and be able to insist for software that can work with
    > other programs. Also, these rights should enforce hardware providers
    > not to develop hardware that is OS dependent. The driver developers
    > need to be arm-twisted as well. The reason we need the institutions
    > to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
    > forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
    > on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear. We deserve much
    > better and much more than that.

    Gates also told the court it would take hundreds of engineers working
    for years to produce the reference implementations of the Windows'
    programming interfaces that the states' proposed remedies ask.

    --
    Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near
    the earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people

  8. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Tuesday 11 November 2008 12:36 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:13 : \____

    >>> I figure there will also be a taxpayer-funded bailout of Microsoft.
    >>> There's already been a taxpayer-funded bailout of the credit/banker
    >>> industry, and now there's talk of a taxpayer-funded bailout of the
    >>> American auto industry.

    >> There is a resemblance to be noted here. Big bosses with big bonuses amassed
    >> fortunes (maybe in overseas bank account) while leaving their companies at
    >> high risk or empty shells with no real assets. With the bailout, people pay
    >> the price while the Fat Cats get to keep their stash and get more bonuses
    >> for their corruption.
    >>
    >> Similarly, SweatyB, BillG and others built an empire of personal wealth but
    >> Microsoft is already nearing debt BASED ON PUBLIC DISCLOSURES. The /reality/
    >> could be more similar to Enron's.

    > Well, they all have 70 days to cash out.
    >
    > I hope a little balance comes back with the next administration.

    All sorts of stores go titsup overnight, unexpected. There was another large
    chain yesterday, with rumours about DSG surfacing too.

    Remember how shocking SCO's bankruptcy seemed at the time? They had a visit
    from the SEC just a while earlier and the SEC found nothing wrong.

    With Microsoft on the other hand...

    SEC Investigating Microsoft Practices -- Earnings Manipulated, Former Employee
    Contends

    ,----[ Quote]
    | "The CFO to whom Charlie was reporting his concerns about illegality was the
    | biggest advocate for the very illegality that was going on," Vial argued in
    | court a year ago.
    `----

    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...1&slug=2969514

    Microsoft Agrees To Refrain From Accounting Violations in SEC Settlement
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has agreed to refrain from accounting violations to settle federal
    | regulators' allegations that it misrepresented its financial performance, the
    | government announced Monday.
    |
    | Under a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the software
    | giant neither admitted to nor denied wrongdoing. No fine was imposed.
    |
    | The SEC alleged that Microsoft's accounting practices from July 1994 through
    | June 1998 caused its income to be substantially misstated.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18819490

    Why settle if there was nothing amiss? Why pay Charlie $4 million to shut up
    and destroy the evidence of alleged fraud? <
    http://web.archive.org/web/200703080...microfraud.php

    Read the article above. It seems like Microsoft got chummy-chummy with the SEC.

    Maybe it's OK, but we don't know for sure. Microsoft was pretty caught cheating
    its investors before.

    We don't know... the answer might come out one day though.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"

  9. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    On Nov 11, 4:44*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> [...]

    > > other programs. *Also, these rights should enforce hardware providers
    > > not to develop hardware that is OS dependent. *The driver developers
    > > need to be arm-twisted as well. *The reason we need the institutions
    > > to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
    > > forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
    > > on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear. *We deserve much
    > > better and much more than that.

    > * *Gates also told the court it would take hundreds of engineers working
    > * *for years to produce the reference implementations of the Windows'
    > * *programming interfaces that the states' proposed remedies ask.
    >
    > --
    > Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near
    > the earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people

    Was he rocking back and forth as he said this?

  10. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Tuesday 11 November 2008 12:36 : \____
    >

    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:13 : \____

    >>> There is a resemblance to be noted here. Big bosses with big bonuses
    >>> amassed
    >>> fortunes (maybe in overseas bank account) while leaving their companies
    >>> at
    >>> high risk or empty shells with no real assets. With the bailout, people
    >>> pay
    >>> the price while the Fat Cats get to keep their stash and get more
    >>> bonuses
    >>> for their corruption.
    >>>
    >>> Similarly, SweatyB, BillG and others built an empire of personal wealth
    >>> but
    >>> Microsoft is already nearing debt BASED ON PUBLIC DISCLOSURES. The
    >>> /reality/
    >>> could be more similar to Enron's.

    >> Well, they all have 70 days to cash out.
    >>
    >> I hope a little balance comes back with the next administration.

    > All sorts of stores go titsup overnight, unexpected. There was another
    > large
    > chain yesterday, with rumours about DSG surfacing too.

    During tough economic times the weak companies often get hurt the most. Is
    this is surprise to anyone?

    > Remember how shocking SCO's bankruptcy seemed at the time? They had a
    > visit
    > from the SEC just a while earlier and the SEC found nothing wrong.
    >
    > With Microsoft on the other hand...

    On the other hand what??????

    > SEC Investigating Microsoft Practices -- Earnings Manipulated, Former
    > Employee
    > Contends
    >
    > ,----[ Quote]
    > | "The CFO to whom Charlie was reporting his concerns about illegality was
    > the
    > | biggest advocate for the very illegality that was going on," Vial argued
    > in
    > | court a year ago.
    > `----
    >
    > http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...1&slug=2969514

    What a load of bull****. Some disgruntled employee makes some false
    accusations back in 1999. There certainly isn't any current SEC
    investigation of these charges.

    > Microsoft Agrees To Refrain From Accounting Violations in SEC Settlement
    > ^^^^^^^^^^
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft has agreed to refrain from accounting violations to settle
    > federal
    > | regulators' allegations that it misrepresented its financial
    > performance, the
    > | government announced Monday.
    > |
    > | Under a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the
    > software
    > | giant neither admitted to nor denied wrongdoing. No fine was imposed.
    > |
    > | The SEC alleged that Microsoft's accounting practices from July 1994
    > through
    > | June 1998 caused its income to be substantially misstated.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18819490

    Wow... 1994 to 1998. And just when I thought it couldn't get any lamer than
    the "news" from 1999.

    > Why settle if there was nothing amiss? Why pay Charlie $4 million to shut
    > up
    > and destroy the evidence of alleged fraud? <
    > http://web.archive.org/web/200703080...microfraud.php
    >>

    > Read the article above. It seems like Microsoft got chummy-chummy with the
    > SEC.

    It would seem that way to an idiot.

    > Maybe it's OK, but we don't know for sure. Microsoft was pretty caught
    > cheating
    > its investors before.
    >
    > We don't know... the answer might come out one day though.

    When exactly did they get caught? There certainly isn't any BS^h^h "News"
    from the last millenium to support that false accusation.

  11. Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 11 November 2008 14:11 : \____

> [...]

    >> > need to be arm-twisted as well. *The reason we need the institutions
    >> > to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
    >> > forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
    >> > on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear. *We deserve much
    >> > better and much more than that.

    >> Gates also told the court it would take hundreds of engineers working
    >> for years to produce the reference implementations of the Windows'
    >> programming interfaces that the states' proposed remedies ask.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near
    >> the earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people
    >> to do so.
    >> -- Bertrand Russell

    > Was he rocking back and forth as he said this?

    "Windows Threatens to Yank Gates"

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
    Swap: 4088500k total, 417880k used, 3670620k free, 264040k cached

+ Reply to Thread