[News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7 - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

    Windows 7 early promise: Passes the Vista test

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A day spent with a Windows 7 preview build - Milestone 3, running on a laptop
    | loaned for the purpose (Dell XPS M1330, Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz, with 3GB RAM)
    | tends to confirm that view. Windows 7 feels more polished than Vista, even in
    | the preview, and performance is good.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._seven_review/

    Windows 7 unveiled; hands on report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here at PDC in Los Angeles, Microsoft’s Chief Architect Ray Ozzie and Windows
    | VP Steven Sinofsky are introducing Windows 7. A couple of days ago,
    | journalists were loaned Windows 7 laptops to try and I’ve been using this
    | over the last day or so.
    `----

    http://www.itwriting.com/blog/1010-w...on-report.html

    Re:Actually, maybe not fair

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Based on the announcements on Windows 7 and the reviews I thought too that
    | they had improved the performance of Windows 7 vs. Vista. Then I found an
    | article by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols that might explain the "glowing" reviews
    | at Microsoft's PDC. It seems that Microsoft may have permanently "loaned"
    | $2,000 laptops with 2.4GHz Intel dual cores + 3GB ram to the "reviewers" to
    | review Windows 7. If so, that's not the first time they tried that stunt
    | (Vista was the first that I recall). So in the answer to the question, "Can a
    | leopard change its spots?" if the above is correct then the answer in
    | Microsoft's case seems to be "No."
    `----

    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?...30253&from=rss

    Recent:

    Microsoft bribes again?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But, if as appears may be the case Microsoft is letting people have Dell XPS
    | M1330 laptops with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processors and 3GBs of RAM
    | on 'indefinite loans (wink, wink) then it's a bribe in my book. What do you
    | think? If you knew someone had been given a PC with a list price of $1,956
    | and then wrote nice things about the operating system that came with it would
    | you be inclined to think that they might be just a wee bit influenced by the
    | almost two grand worth of computer?
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    Blacklisted by Microsoft!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, they blacklisted me from certain super-secret (i.e.
    | pre-conference, NDA, off-the books) sessions at their Professional Developer
    | Conference (PDC) –- this after formally inviting me to attend those sessions
    | as an "esteemed reviewer" representing InfoWorld.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Oct. 9, 2008 -- A short while later, I get my first hit. It seems that the
    | whole mess started when the Windows Server team made the mistake of inviting
    | yours truly to an event hosted by the Windows Client team. Apparently, the
    | folks on the Server team were unaware of my decidedly negative views towards
    | Vista, and when the Client folks found out they had invited Randall C.
    | Kennedy -– a.k.a. Vista's most vocal and effective critic -– to their
    | special, "for fanbois only" (nice photos, Paul) shindig, they went ballistic.
    |
    | First, it appears that someone high up on the Client Team (Steve?) really
    | doesn't like me. I mean, really, truly loathes me. And it's not just your
    | run-of-the-mill frustration with a journalist who picks on them. This thing
    | is personal, and the executive in question is allowing his or her personal
    | feelings to spill over into the company's handling of formal press relations
    | with InfoWorld.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...listed_by.html

    Related:

    PC Mag May Boycott Edelman PR

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Transparency is a word that's been kicked around a lot lately. But
    | too much transparency is what got Edelman PR pro and blogebrity
    | Steve Rubel kicked around this week, instead. An early Friday
    | 13th comment about PC Magazine is fueling a potential boycott,
    | as well as fulfilling what the PR world had feared about blogging.
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ott-edelman-pr

    Getting a Vaio [with Vista, from Microsoft]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Belgium rang me yesterday (I don?t think they realised it
    | was a public holiday here!).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The phone call yesterday was to confirm my address - the laptop (a
    | Sony Vaio - dunno which model or spec yet) is en route with Vista
    | Ultimate and Office Ultimate pre-installed.
    `----

    http://www.tomrafteryit.net/getting-a-vaio/

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
    | things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
    | you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
    | better things about us.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
    | (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
    | It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
    | (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
    | people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
    | recommended me
    `----

    http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-s...windows-vista/

    Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has announced the "Microsoft BlogStars" contest, to Hunts
    | for Developer Bloggers in India. After feeling the power and increase of
    | the Bloggers community in India, Microsoft tries to trap and hunt Bloggers
    | in India to buildup the blogging community, for writing blog posts
    | supporting towards Microsoft Technologies.
    `----

    http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/m...-bloggers.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Microsoft bribes again?
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    Jesus God, Roy. Three times repeated /and/ used as the Subject teaser?

    --
    Do not incinerate: contents under pressure.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:2jYRk.58933$kh2.17377@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Microsoft bribes again?
    >>
    >> http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    > Jesus God, Roy. Three times repeated /and/ used as the Subject teaser?

    Yep. And Roy still claims that none of this is "scripted" and that he does
    his posts by hand.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Microsoft bribes again?
    >>
    >> http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    > Jesus God, Roy. Three times repeated /and/ used as the Subject
    > teaser?

    Only 3?

    I estimate Spamowitz has posted 'feeling the heat at Microsoft' 300 times.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] The Register 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

    On 2008-11-10, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Windows 7 early promise: Passes the Vista test
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A day spent with a Windows 7 preview build - Milestone 3, running on a laptop
    >| loaned for the purpose (Dell XPS M1330, Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz, with 3GB RAM)
    >| tends to confirm that view. Windows 7 feels more polished than Vista, even in
    >| the preview, and performance is good.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._seven_review/

    Supposedly Fisted looked pretty good to people testing it. It was only
    after it was released on an unsuspecting public, after it started
    getting put on hardware that wasn't carefully crafted to make it
    perform OK, that it was shown to be the pig it was all along.

    So, Windwoes 7 /looks/ better, more polished? Good. It's still going to
    run like a turd for the average user.

    2 MEs in a row! Wanna go for 3, MICROS~1?

    --
    Microsoft: The company that made computing dangerous.

+ Reply to Thread