OpenOffice.org Conference 2008 – everything is different

,----[ Quote ]
| Attending the 6th OpenOffice.org conference is a special experience. This
| when I compare it with the three previous conferences I attended.
|
| For the first time in the history of the open source project, the conference
| is held in a non European country. In this way, the project shows its world
| wide strength. Emphasize this strength, is something that can be trusted to
| be done the Chinese speakers. At least 8 representatives from (semi-)
| governmental organizations, IT-industry and education did so: "open source is
| important for the own industry and people". OpenOffice.org is closed into the
| hearts and the project fully supported.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/200...ence-2008.html

Try OpenOffice.org. I dare you!

,----[ Quote ]
| But Belinda has now been using
| OpenOffice.org for several months. Her interest in the program rapidly
| increased as she realised that the program isn’t just free of cost, but free
| in so many other ways as well. After using the program at work for a couple
| of weeks, she started noticing features in OpenOffice.org that she actually
| preferred to her old way of working. After several months, Belinda’s boss
| offered to purchase Microsoft Office for her computer. “I wouldn’t use it if
| you bought it. This is better!”
`----

http://www.adriantry.com/try-openofficeorg-i-dare-you/

Recent:

OpenOffice 3.0 Beefs Up Collaboration, Extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice has hit version 3, and the free alternative to Microsoft Office
| and other commercial office suites is looking more professional and fully
| featured than ever before.
|
| The suite counts a user base of over 100 million users, and has had over 160
| million downloads since it began, according to community manager Louis
| Suarez-Potts. It's the work of many different collaborators, whether paid
| employees from Sun or dedicated individuals working in their off hours.
|
| If you'd like to see what you're getting before you download, here are the
| most important new features to OpenOffice 3.
`----

http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic...11_03_08a.html

OpenOffice 3: Look out MS Office!

,----[ Quote ]
| How long have we been using OpenOffice 2.x? 2.0 was released Oct 20, 2005. So
| over three years was 3.0 in the making. And just what comes with that three
| years in development? Here’s the list of major features:
|
| * * * Mac OS X support
| * * * ODF 1.2 support
| * * [...]
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=292

Musical interlude

,----[ Quote ]
| But I’d download five million times
|
| And I’d download five million more…
|
| Which is a musical way of proclaiming that as of midnight last night UTC,
| OpenOffice.org had recorded over five million downloads since the official
| announcement of the availability of version 3.0...
`----

http://www.mealldubh.org/index.php/2...cal-interlude/

Review: OpenOffice.org 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The six applications contained in OpenOffice are the Writer word processor,
| the Calc spreadsheet, the Impress presentation program, the Base database
| package, the Draw vector graphics application and the Math formulae editing
| tool.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/softwar...openoffice-org

OpenOffice 3.0 reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine years after Sun Microsystems bought StarOffice, the resulting
| OpenOffice.org project is has rolled out its 3.0 release. Enhanced format
| compatibility and features put it on par with Microsoft Office.
`----

OpenOffice.org Breaks Records Everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| All around the world, it seems, people just can't get enough of this amazing
| free office suite, which is now turning in serious market shares in some
| countries. For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million
| users in Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market there.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14

ODF approved as Swedish Standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Without making a press release or public announcement the Swedish Standards
| Institute has formally approved ODF 1.0 as a national standard. Only the “SS”
| prefix in SS-ISO/IEC 26300:2008 give away the status of the document.
`----

http://www.peterkrantz.com/2008/odf-...dish-standard/

Brazilian Government Formalizes its Intention to Adopt ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Some very significant bodies of the Brazilian Government and government-owned
| corporations have just signed an agreement to adopt Open Document Format as
| their standard format for the exchange of electronic documents.
`----

http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/thompson/...nt-adopts-odf/

Melaka City Council's OSS migration and savings

,----[ Quote ]
| In our ongoing series of Free and Open Source Software deployments in
| Malaysia, OpenMalaysiaBlog is proud to highlight the efforts of the City
| Council of Melaka. They were one of the first few departments to migrate
| completely to OpenOffice.org (98% of their 300 hundred seats. They need to
| retain a few copies of MS Office for some difficult proprietary files). Back
| in 8 December 2006, the Mayor of Melaka, Y.Bhg. Dato’ Haji Zaini bin Mohd
| Nor, presented "Successful Deployment Of OpenOffice In The Public Sector
| Seminar" and was very enthusiastic about OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-city-cou.html

The State of Kedah moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| A case study submitted to the Open Source Competency Center by the Center of
| Information Technology, Office of the Chief Minister and State Secretary of
| Kedah, has indicated that OpenOffice.org has been installed in 70% of the
| computers in the Kedah state government agencies. There are currently 2,202
| installed seats and by the looks of it, the numbers will just keep rising!
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...tudy-on-t.html

The entire State of Pahang moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Its just been made official that the State of Pahang is migrating all its
| productivity suites to OpenOffice.org. This succint memo from the State
| Secretary of Pahang entitled "Perlaksanaan Penggunaan Perisian OpenOffice.Org
| Di Semua Agensi dan Pentadbiran Negeri" (translated: "Implementation of
| OpenOffice.org suite in all State Agencies and Administrative centres")
| outlines the reasons for migrating, the benefits and how to proceed.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...tire-stat.html

French hospital migrates to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this French article, the French hospital of Thiers is migrating
| its 150 desktops to OpenOffice.org in order to spend money on training
| instead of licenses.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/fr..._to_openoffice

Huge Success for the ODF Community