Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!! - Linux ; http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run under Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old Windows XP box............. --...

  1. Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!!

    --

  2. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!!

    Clogwog wrote:
    > http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    > I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run under
    > Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old Windows XP
    > box.............

    Ain't it just like a cola "advocate*" to say one thing and do another?

    Wonder what he'll do with a webcam...

  3. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!!

    "DFS" schreef in bericht
    news:MuXRk.63575$De7.45303@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > Clogwog wrote:
    >> http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >> I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run under
    >> Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old Windows XP
    >> box.............

    > Ain't it just like a cola "advocate*" to say one thing and do another?
    >
    > Wonder what he'll do with a webcam...

    I bet he's forced to run Windows to be able to webcam chat on MSN, cos (as
    always) webcams on a Linux box have many compatibility issues with MSN
    messenger.
    And that webcam (as always) has no Linux drivers.
    Big investment for Marti though!, to be able to chat with his poofter
    "friends" (Roy, HPT, TV) ;-)
    Windows Vista license: $99 to $389
    Windows XP Pro SP3 (1-Pack) $147.95

  4. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista & XP!!

    "Clogwog" writes:

    > "DFS" schreef in bericht
    > news:MuXRk.63575$De7.45303@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> Clogwog wrote:
    >>> http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >>> I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run under
    >>> Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old Windows XP
    >>> box.............

    >> Ain't it just like a cola "advocate*" to say one thing and do another?
    >>
    >> Wonder what he'll do with a webcam...

    > I bet he's forced to run Windows to be able to webcam chat on MSN, cos
    > (as always) webcams on a Linux box have many compatibility issues with
    > MSN messenger.

    And Skype.

    > And that webcam (as always) has no Linux drivers.

    Heh. I have been trying to get a Quickcam Express working on Ubuntu for
    a friend. I found about 100 howtos all subtly different none of which
    work.

    Which is weird since when I was using Ubuntu way back the same web cam
    worked fine using the install script.

    > Big investment for Marti though!, to be able to chat with his poofter
    > "friends" (Roy, HPT, TV) ;-)
    > Windows Vista license: $99 to $389
    > Windows XP Pro SP3 (1-Pack) $147.95

    In fairness to Marti at least he USES open source SW which is more than
    can be said for half the others who still do not understand the
    difference between OSS and Linux v Windows.

  5. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista &XP!!

    Clogwog schreef:

    > http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >
    > I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run under
    > Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old Windows XP
    > box.............
    > --

    Whoo, stop the press: I use Windows occasionally, besides GNU/Linux, to
    help my Windows using friends solve their problems.

    Beside that, this is another example of Windows Crapware - Windows Just
    Works -

    I wonder when DFS will repost this :-)

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  6. Re: Good news: clogwog (Rick Mathers) and DFS look stupid again!!

    Clogwog (Rick Mathers) schreef:
    > "DFS" schreef...
    >> Clogwog wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >>>

    >>> I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to
    >>> run under Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on
    >>> my old Windows XP box.............

    Let's continue the translation, shall we?

    [Translation]
    It concerns this webcam:

    http://www.kijkshop.nl/product/24777...ce-webcam-wit/

    that uses this chip set: Vimicro zs0211

    The moment I plugged in the USB connector, up came a pop-up
    programme, I chose then that Vista should automatically configure
    it. Nothing was found, thus I selected to install the driver
    from CD. Put the provided mini-CD in the DVD/RW station and that
    also did not work.

    As an alternative, I started up the SetUp.exe from the disk. This
    seemed to go well and it added an icon named Amcap to the office
    menu folder. However when I click on it, I get the message:
    "Sorry, you have no video capture hardware". Today, I have spent
    the whole day searching the web for a solution. (finding update
    drivers etc.).

    I found a tip to copy the software to the office folder and try
    again. However, this did not work. Finally, I started the
    programme Amcap in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2). This also
    did not help.

    Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get this thing to
    work under Vista? MVG, Mart
    [/translation]

    >> Ain't it just like a cola "advocate*" to say one thing and
    >> do another?
    >>
    >> Wonder what he'll do with a webcam...

    Bwahaaahaahaa! (Had to clean the coffee spray off my monitor, LOL!)

    > I bet he's forced to run Windows to be able to webcam chat on
    > MSN, cos (as always) webcams on a Linux box have many
    > compatibility issues with MSN messenger. And that webcam (as
    > always) has no Linux drivers.

    First, the poster will have to find the illusive Vista driver, LOL!

    > Big investment for Marti though!, to be able to chat with his
    > poofter "friends" (Roy, HPT, TV) ;-) Windows Vista license:
    > $99 to $389 Windows XP Pro SP3 (1-Pack) $147.95

    Here is the trolls punch line, another ad for Microsoft. This is
    an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows
    needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind share of its
    targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how wonderful
    it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup and its
    charter.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  7. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista &XP!!

    ml2mst wrote:
    > Clogwog schreef:
    >
    >> http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >>
    >> I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run
    >> under Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old
    >> Windows XP box............. --

    > Whoo, stop the press: I use Windows occasionally, besides
    > GNU/Linux, to help my Windows using friends solve their
    > problems.
    >
    > Beside that, this is another example of Windows Crapware -
    > Windows Just Works -
    >
    > I wonder when DFS will repost this :-)

    I don't think you have to worry about that. May he and
    idiootsleeplijn clogwog rest in humiliated peace.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  8. Re: Good news: clogwog (Rick Mathers) and DFS look stupid again!!

    High Plains Thumper schreef:

    > Clogwog (Rick Mathers) schreef:

    > Let's continue the translation, shall we?
    >
    > [Translation]
    > It concerns this webcam:
    >
    > http://www.kijkshop.nl/product/24777...ce-webcam-wit/
    >

    > that uses this chip set: Vimicro zs0211
    >
    > The moment I plugged in the USB connector, up came a pop-up
    > programme, I chose then that Vista should automatically configure
    > it. Nothing was found, thus I selected to install the driver
    > from CD. Put the provided mini-CD in the DVD/RW station and that
    > also did not work.
    >
    > As an alternative, I started up the SetUp.exe from the disk. This
    > seemed to go well and it added an icon named Amcap to the office
    > menu folder. However when I click on it, I get the message: "Sorry, you
    > have no video capture hardware". Today, I have spent
    > the whole day searching the web for a solution. (finding update
    > drivers etc.).
    >
    > I found a tip to copy the software to the office folder and try
    > again. However, this did not work. Finally, I started the
    > programme Amcap in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2). This also
    > did not help.

    A small correction: "Bureaublad" should be translated as Desktop, not
    Office folder.

    > Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get this thing to
    > work under Vista? MVG, Mart
    > [/translation]
    >
    >>> Ain't it just like a cola "advocate*" to say one thing and
    >>> do another?
    >>>
    >>> Wonder what he'll do with a webcam...

    > Bwahaaahaahaa! (Had to clean the coffee spray off my monitor, LOL!)

    That was funny indeed, unfortunately for DFS and his fantasies, I'm
    planing to do something similar to this guy:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/TechAnvil

    Loved it. Unfortunately he posted his last video about a year ago and I
    think someone should follow his footsteps. The world needs more "Geek TV".

    Beside that it's just fun to communicate with relatives using a webcam,
    especially my relatives in Canada.

    >> I bet he's forced to run Windows to be able to webcam chat on
    >> MSN, cos (as always) webcams on a Linux box have many
    >> compatibility issues with MSN messenger. And that webcam (as
    >> always) has no Linux drivers.

    There's quite list of webcams that work out of the box in Linux. The
    majority of the Logitech QuickCam series for example (however not all of
    them IIRC).

    > First, the poster will have to find the illusive Vista driver, LOL!

    After searching for 6 days, it is clear that /there are no Vista drivers
    for this particular webcam/

    So here we have it: Windows Vista suffers from the same problem as
    Linux: HW manufacturers are not interested in supporting both OS-es.

    >> Big investment for Marti though!, to be able to chat with his
    >> poofter "friends" (Roy, HPT, TV) ;-) Windows Vista license:
    >> $99 to $389 Windows XP Pro SP3 (1-Pack) $147.95

    > Here is the trolls punch line, another ad for Microsoft.

    Plus another insulting made up bunch of nonsense to denigrate Linux
    Advocates.

    > This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >

    > 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics
    >
    > 32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows needs a
    > lot of help to be successful in the mind share of its targeted user
    > base. Point out to everybody on COLA how wonderful it is. Ignore the
    > meaning of the name of the newsgroup and its charter.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  9. Re: Good news: ml2mst AKA Marti van Lin moved to Windows Vista &XP!!

    High Plains Thumper schreef:
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >> Clogwog schreef:
    >>
    >>> http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-en-vista.html
    >>>

    >>> I bought a cheap webcam at Kijkshop, which I do like to run
    >>> under Windows Vista (32 bit) as it runs seamlessly on my old
    >>> Windows XP box............. --

    >> Whoo, stop the press: I use Windows occasionally, besides
    >> GNU/Linux, to help my Windows using friends solve their
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Beside that, this is another example of Windows Crapware -
    >> Windows Just Works -
    >>
    >> I wonder when DFS will repost this :-)

    > I don't think you have to worry about that. May he and idiootsleeplijn
    > clogwog rest in humiliated peace.

    Well of course that's what I was afraid of. DFS only reposts issues from
    Linux forums, and ignores the problems from Windows forums.

    In many cases he shots himself in the foot, because often these problems
    are solved.

    This treat is an example of an unsolved problem.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com