It is Time to Stop Looking Over Our Shoulder

,----[ Quote ]
| So Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has stuck it to the open source
| community, yet again. They have shut us out of Hotmail. Yawn. Like, who
| cares? Even Microsoft devotees hate the new Hotmail. Yet, to some people they
| see this as one more sign that Microsoft is out to get us. “The sky is
| falling! The sky is falling!” cry all of the open source Chicken Littles. Has
| it come to this?
| When I read headlines that show outrage at Microsoft’s audacity and hubris at
| ignoring the open source community, I chuckle. It is such a common occurance
| and the fact that they think anyone cares is beyond me. What would be
| newsworthy is if Microsoft actually produced a product worthy of our use.
| Then perhaps we might care. Until then, I am all for not caring what
| Microsoft does and anyone who suggests that we do care is worthy of our
| contempt.
| It would be nice if the open source community was large enough that Microsoft
| could not ignore us, but that isn’t the case. Even if it was the case, we
| shun overpriced and underperforming proprietary junk on principle.

Hotmail users bitch and moan about new interface

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked Microsoft if it would respond to Hotmail users and their grumbles by
| providing the option to switch between modes, but at time of writing the
| company had not responded to our request for comment

Microsoft breaks HotMail for Linux users?

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux-Watch reader today reported difficulties using Microsoft's Hotmail
| service with Firefox browsers running on Linux operating systems. We
| confirmed that creating a new Hotmail account was not possible, due to an
| error message suggesting a "browser upgrade."

Microsoft Announces Changes for Accessing Hotmail with Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| Important news if you currently access your Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook
| Express, come June 30th. this will no longer be possible.
| * * A change is coming for users that access Hotmail with Outlook Express.
| * * Outlook Express uses a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and
| * * Versioning protocol) to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account.
| * * DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a
| * * web-based mail server.

Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
to Outlook Express"

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I
| subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail’s interface was overhauled: it now
| has a “classic” interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
| limited, and a supposedly “Full” interface that should make it the equal of
| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.

Hotmail engine overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
| a total wash, however.
| [...]
| With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
| Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.

A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

,----[ Quote ]
| Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
| support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
| future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
| allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
| desktops or infrastructure.
| [...]
| A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
| network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
| on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
| really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
| not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
| Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
| storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
| as Active Directory.

Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

,----[ Quote ]
| Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
| caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
| casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
| well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
| with absolutely no notice and little recourse.

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| [...]
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.

It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
| blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
| policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
| to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
| Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”

If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

,----[ Quote ]
| The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
| Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
| there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
| 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
| email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
| the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
| where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
| you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
| Vanish.

Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

,----[ Quote ]
| "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
| spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
| instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
| spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
| to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)