Experimental ATI Driver Gets DRI2 Support

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a while since Jerome Glisse last had any major announcements to
| share, but today he's announcing that he is in the progress of bringing DRI2
| (Direct Rendering Infrastructure 2) to the open-source Radeon driver.

Ubuntu 8.10 does away with xorg.conf

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest Ubuntu stories on the net is the elimination of xorg.conf.
| They haven’t made it unnecessary, they’ve completely eliminated it. If you
| create one and edit it - it will have no effect.

"Mr. Emerson and I discussed a variety of investment structures wherein
Microsoft would 'backstop,' or guarantee in some way, BayStar's investment....
Microsoft assured me that it would in some way guarantee BayStar's investment
in SCO."

--Larry Goldfarb, BayStar

AMD's X-Video Bitstream Acceleration

,----[ Quote ]
| In early September we shared that UVD2 and XvMC is coming to Linux and that
| two new library files had begun shipping with the ATI Catalyst driver:
| AMDXvBA and XvBAW. Earlier this month the Unified Video Decoding 2 (UVD2)
| support was then enabled by default in the Catalyst 8.10 driver. These video
| acceleration improvements to the ATI Linux driver aren't exactly end-user
| friendly yet, but today we have information on how those interested can begin
| using the X-Video Motion Compensation extension with their ATI hardware along
| with what the XvBA extension will provide users in regards to advanced video
| acceleration that is very similar to Microsoft's DirectX Video Acceleration.

ATI to Show Linux Some Love

,----[ Quote ]
| According to recent reports, AMD's graphics subsidiary is set on becoming
| more Linux-friendly. The company plans to release new Catalyst drivers for
| Linux-based operating systems, which will allow playback of protected
| high-definition content on a Linux OS. The new drivers should become
| available sometime in October 2008, thus enabling the company to address the
| market of Linux-based computers by bringing to the table a feature currently
| unavailable.

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

,----[ Quote ]
| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
| currently available.

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.

ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who has
| been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly about
| the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
| evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were that
| TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon, DRM
| and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on the *
| road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
| and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future. * * *

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
| register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
| they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
| may have questions concerning these documents. *

AMD Delivers OpenGL Performance Increase for Linux Professional

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 8.49.7 of the ATI Catalyst Driver is now available for download via
| the ATI Catalyst Linux software suite...

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)