    and plug it directly into the wall. As long as I don't have my battery in,
    it doesn't seem to be a problem, but I've only been having this problem
    since I installed 8.10 and it doesn't happen under Windows Vista."

    #1 at

  2. Re: "Upgrade" your Linux crapware == more and new problems...but not under Vista

    On 10 Nov 2008 04:31:31 GMT, ray wrote:
    >On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:26:08 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >> "Since I upgraded to 8.10, I've been having some weird issues. First of
    >> all, the little light next to my wireless card switch blinks orange and
    >> blue all the time. Second, I keep having a very strange crash - my
    >> computer will be working fine, then all of a sudden everyone will lock
    >> up and - very strangely - my capslock key light will blink until I
    >> reboot my computer. Usually I have to turn the computer off manually,
    >> and then I can't turn my computer on again until I remove the battery
    >> from the bottom of my computer and plug it directly into the wall. As
    >> long as I don't have my battery in, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but
    >> I've only been having this problem since I installed 8.10 and it doesn't
    >> happen under Windows Vista."
    >>
    >> #1 at

    >It is generally unwise to upgrade to the latest version of any OS until it
    >has been out for some time - that is a lesson I learned nearly 30 years
    >ago, and I still abide by it.

    It is generally unwise to listen to anything dun**** has to say. He hasn't
    the technical skills to tie his own shoelaces.

  3. Re: "Upgrade" your Linux crapware == more and new problems...but not under Vista

    ray wrote:

    > It is generally unwise to upgrade to the latest version of any OS until it
    > has been out for some time - that is a lesson I learned nearly 30 years
    > ago, and I still abide by it.

    Yep. And Vista's so "rock solid" even after the Service Pack.

    Yeah, right.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: "Upgrade" your Linux crapware == more and new problems...butnot under Vista

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:58:09 -0600, RonB wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> It is generally unwise to upgrade to the latest version of any OS until
    >> it has been out for some time - that is a lesson I learned nearly 30
    >> years ago, and I still abide by it.

    > Yep. And Vista's so "rock solid" even after the Service Pack.
    >
    > Yeah, right.

    Well, it is.

    Daddy-in-law's laptop, after the service pack and finally an automatic
    update, became *very* stable. Enough so that nothing would break the
    cycle of boot/reboot/try to repair/fail/boot/reboot/...

    You just cant _get_ much more stable than "will not stop, short of a
    power failure."

    Turns out this is a known problem, affecting many people, with a fix due
    "real soon now". Hmm... a fix? Isn't that what the automatic update was
    supposed to be, the very thing that caused all this?

    In any case, he reached a decision: XP or Linux. Since Linux isn't going
    to cost him anything to try, let's start there. He's now got Ubuntu
    Gutsy on it and he's trying it out as we speak. So far his only issues
    have been "How do I create a link to a website on my desktop" and "how do
    I connect to my wireless network at home" - I'd forgotten to show him the
    knetworkmanager icon.

+ Reply to Thread