Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S. - Linux

This is a discussion on Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S. - Linux ; http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I wonder how this will ...

  1. Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx

    Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I wonder how this will affect their balance sheets.

  2. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    Anonymous Remailer wrote:

    > http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx
    >
    > Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in
    > the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list
    > billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I
    > wonder how this will affect their balance sheets.

    They will write it off as an accounting anomoly and downgrade
    their net worth.

    Perhaps this way, their true net worth becomes closer to reality
    than their virtual pudding and pie inflated worth that has
    no advantage to how society works in the real world
    and only serves to make more losers than winners.

  3. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    On Nov 9, 6:37 am, Anonymous Remailer
    wrote:
    > http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx
    >
    > Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I wonder how this will affect their balance sheets.

    Subtitled, "Microsoft has a problem ". It's an interesting
    development. I don't have a legal mind, and haven't tried to follow
    the nuances of this issue, but if I could do anything for innovation
    in this country (I live in the US) it would be to abolish software
    patents.

    It seems that Obama has definite ideas about promoting innovation in
    the technical sector, and seems to oppose software patents and to
    favor open document standards. This may be another problem for
    Microsoft, even if there is no renewal of antitrust.

    As for the businesses who have built up huge multibillion dollar
    portfolios in "intellectual property," too bad.

  4. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

  5. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    In article
    ,
    "nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 6:37 am, Anonymous Remailer
    > wrote:
    > > http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx
    > >
    > > Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in
    > > the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list
    > > billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I
    > > wonder how this will affect their balance sheets.

    > Subtitled, "Microsoft has a problem ". It's an interesting

    If "Microsoft has a problem", how come they submitted an amicus brief
    arguing *for* the position the court took?

    It's usually not considered a problem for one when the court rules the
    way one wanted the court to rule.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    On Nov 9, 1:11 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:
    > > On Nov 9, 6:37 am, Anonymous Remailer
    > > wrote:
    > > >http://www.itexaminer.com/us-court-t...e-patents.aspx

    > > > Software patents are now mostly worthless and open-source will flourish in
    > > > the U.S. because of this ruling. Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Yahoo list
    > > > billions and billions in software-patents with the stroke of a pen. I
    > > > wonder how this will affect their balance sheets.

    > > Subtitled, "Microsoft has a problem ". It's an interesting

    > If "Microsoft has a problem", how come they submitted an amicus brief
    > arguing *for* the position the court took?
    >
    > It's usually not considered a problem for one when the court rules the
    > way one wanted the court to rule.
    >
    > --
    > --Tim Smith

    Just because Microsoft submitted an amicus brief doesn't mean that
    they wanted to see the ruling come out the way it did. Or that their
    only interest is in ridding the world of the software patents. Here's
    what groklaw's Pamela Jones says: "If you want to know what
    Microsoft's thinking appears to be on that subject, assuming as I do
    that they very much want 'tied to a particular machine' to mean any
    old desktop running Microsoft software, read their amicus brief
    [PDF]."

    In other words, it sounds to her that Microsoft would like to see
    software patents allowed for Windows software running on PCs.

  7. Re: Software patents virtually prohibited in U.S.

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Sunday 09 November 2008 23:15 : \____

    > On Nov 9, 1:11 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >>
    >> "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu" wrote:

    >> > Subtitled, "Microsoft has a problem ". It's an interesting

    >> If "Microsoft has a problem", how come they submitted an amicus brief
    >> arguing *for* the position the court took?
    >>
    >> It's usually not considered a problem for one when the court rules the
    >> way one wanted the court to rule.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --Tim Smith

    > Just because Microsoft submitted an amicus brief doesn't mean that
    > they wanted to see the ruling come out the way it did. Or that their
    > only interest is in ridding the world of the software patents. Here's
    > what groklaw's Pamela Jones says: "If you want to know what
    > Microsoft's thinking appears to be on that subject, assuming as I do
    > that they very much want 'tied to a particular machine' to mean any
    > old desktop running Microsoft software, read their amicus brief
    > [PDF]."
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...81103134949355
    >
    > In other words, it sounds to her that Microsoft would like to see
    > software patents allowed for Windows software running on PCs.

    Just like IBM wanted BM patents eliminated (but SW patents to survive).

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Software patents destroy innovation

+ Reply to Thread