Newbie questions... - Linux

This is a discussion on Newbie questions... - Linux ; Hi I'm a very experienced Windows user and recently started to explore Linux - been playing with Knoppix and Ubuntu. I have a couple of newbie questions... Is it possible to create several user accounts and switch between them just ...

  1. Newbie questions...

    Hi

    I'm a very experienced Windows user and recently started to explore Linux -
    been playing with Knoppix and Ubuntu.

    I have a couple of newbie questions...

    Is it possible to create several user accounts and switch between them just
    like in Windows XP/Vista?

    Is there a utility which will tell me about the hardware devices just like
    System Properties in Windows?

    Is there a website to assist Windows users migrate to Linux? Somewhere
    where I can find the Linux equivalent of various Windows functions?

    Thanks for your time.

    Ian

  2. Re: Newbie questions...

    On November 9, 2008 12:53, in comp.os.linux, Ian R (sorry@nospamthanks.com)
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm a very experienced Windows user and recently started to explore Linux
    > - been playing with Knoppix and Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have a couple of newbie questions...
    >
    > Is it possible to create several user accounts and switch between them
    > just like in Windows XP/Vista?

    Yes, it is.

    > Is there a utility which will tell me about the hardware devices just like
    > System Properties in Windows?

    Yes, several. In fact, much of that information is recorded in regular text
    files, that can be read with a simple text editor. However, if you want a
    pretty gui, then there are many gui tools to report this information in an
    easy-to-read format (including the ubiquitous "tree" format that so many
    information apps use).

    > Is there a website to assist Windows users migrate to Linux? Somewhere
    > where I can find the Linux equivalent of various Windows functions?

    It depends on what sort of "equivalent functions" you are looking for.

    The Linux gui isn't locked into one form. Knoppix uses a gui form known
    as "KDE", while Ubuntu uses a form known as "Gnome". Each form has it's own
    gui tools, equivalent to the various Windows "Control Panel" facilities,
    but these tools differ in location and use between the two guis.

    Linux comes with a wide variety of standard GUI applications, which either
    have direct equivalents in Windows (Firefox:Firefox, OpenOffice:OpenOffice,
    VLC:VLC, etc.) or fill the same requirement (Firefox:Internet Explorer,
    OpenOffice:Microsoft Office, mplayer:Media Player). Other Linux gui
    applications have no direct Windows equivalent, and there are many Windows
    applications that do not have a direct Linux equivalent.

    Finally, there are the comprehensive commandline tools, that are always
    present in Linux. These allow you to manipulate your system, even when the
    GUI tools fail (unlike Windows, where you don't have the alternative if the
    GUI fails). There are direct equivalents between the linux command line
    tools and the MSDOS/MSWindows commandline tools (Microsoft used the Unix
    commandline tools as their startingpoint for MSDOS commands, and Linux uses
    the Unix commandline tools directly).

    For each of these "equivalent functions" there are numerous websites and
    books to tell you how to use them and what they are. Which sort are you
    interested in?

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Newbie questions...

    On November 9, 2008 13:28, in comp.os.linux, Lew Pitcher
    (lpitcher@teksavvy.com) wrote:

    > On November 9, 2008 12:53, in comp.os.linux, Ian R
    > (sorry@nospamthanks.com) wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm a very experienced Windows user and recently started to explore Linux
    >> - been playing with Knoppix and Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> I have a couple of newbie questions...

    [snip]
    >> Is there a website to assist Windows users migrate to Linux? Somewhere
    >> where I can find the Linux equivalent of various Windows functions?

    > It depends on what sort of "equivalent functions" you are looking for.
    >
    > The Linux gui isn't locked into one form. Knoppix uses a gui form known
    > as "KDE", while Ubuntu uses a form known as "Gnome". Each form has it's
    > own gui tools, equivalent to the various Windows "Control Panel"
    > facilities, but these tools differ in location and use between the two
    > guis.
    >
    > Linux comes with a wide variety of standard GUI applications, which either
    > have direct equivalents in Windows (Firefox:Firefox,
    > OpenOffice:OpenOffice, VLC:VLC, etc.) or fill the same requirement
    > (Firefox:Internet Explorer, OpenOffice:Microsoft Office, mplayer:Media
    > Player). Other Linux gui applications have no direct Windows equivalent,
    > and there are many Windows applications that do not have a direct Linux
    > equivalent.
    >
    > Finally, there are the comprehensive commandline tools, that are always
    > present in Linux. These allow you to manipulate your system, even when the
    > GUI tools fail (unlike Windows, where you don't have the alternative if
    > the GUI fails). There are direct equivalents between the linux command
    > line tools and the MSDOS/MSWindows commandline tools (Microsoft used the
    > Unix commandline tools as their startingpoint for MSDOS commands, and
    > Linux uses the Unix commandline tools directly).
    >
    > For each of these "equivalent functions" there are numerous websites and
    > books to tell you how to use them and what they are. Which sort are you
    > interested in?

    FWIW, you can start at
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20...uivalents.html

    --