Get to know the Wintrolls! - Linux

This is a discussion on Get to know the Wintrolls! - Linux ; Recently I asked COLA Linux advocates, "what was their defining moment for switching to Linux full time" and quite a few replied with a detailed account and a personal look into their Linux lives. Thanks Guys, it was great reading, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Get to know the Wintrolls!

    Recently I asked COLA Linux advocates, "what was their defining moment
    for switching to Linux full time" and quite a few replied with a detailed
    account and a personal look into their Linux lives.

    Thanks Guys, it was great reading, and I feel I know you just that little
    bit better, I can see where you're coming from!

    However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    use Linux.

    They love Windows, and Bill Gates is their ICON, the American Dream of a
    poor spoilt rich kid, making it big, with only a little help from his
    father, Bostons most prominent Lawyer, William Gates the 2nd.

    It's a riches to riches bedtime story for losers.

    I admit Wintrolls, after hassling you for years, I barely know you all,
    to me you're like an elusive Asian Bambi, hiding in the forest shadows,
    terrified of being seen in the open, afraid of being eaten by the next
    Linux tiger that comes along.

    Now that's gotta be hard on a Wintroll, with only Microsoft, or your
    shrink ever being able to appreciate the great work you do on COLA ?

    So I'm saying to all Wintrolls, now is your chance to tell us a little
    about yourselves, we know you can't, but we suspect that deep down inside
    you probably hate being a faceless one dimensional shadow and want to be
    known as a real person, someone with substance.

    So lets get the ball rolling, now's your chance!

    I know you're keen to tell us about yourselves in your own words, so
    I'll just give a few suggestions below to help you get started :-

    * How long have you worked for Microsoft ?

    * What defining moment caused you to post on COLA like a plague, was it a
    car accident that left you crippled and bitter, perhaps your wife left
    you for another woman and her parting words made unkind remarks about a
    certain part of you that has, shall we say always been a constant source
    of embarrassment ?
    Does her gay laughter as she drove off in your car, still echo in your
    ears Clogwog

    * Is it your friends and neighbours, do they fail to see your true
    genius, and just look confused when you tell them of your enormous
    intellect ?
    Why can't they understand you, WHY oh WHY Flatfish ?

    * Perhaps it's your mother, sure, shes 93 and rules with an iron fist,
    and she has always hated your girlfriends and scared them off, but one
    day you'll have the last laugh and that 2 bedroom apartment .. IT will
    be all YOURS.
    COLA is your only respite from her, and after you have spewed all your
    built up venom there, you can handle another day without going totally
    mad!
    That's her now, "ERIK where is my dinner you lazy good for nothing
    slob, ... oh I don't believe a horror like you could have ever come from
    these loins ..."!

    So Wintrolls, don't be a stranger now, this thread is for YOU

  2. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:11:24 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    > like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    > switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    > use Linux.

    The thing that really amuses me to no end is how people like Terry are so
    stupid that they don't even recognize their own dichotomies.

    Premise 1: Linux is so easy to use, even a grandmother can use it!

    Premise 2: Wintrolls haven't spent the time and energy to learn how to use
    Linux and/or they're too stupid to be among us elites.

    Of course you can't have it both ways. Either Linux is an intuitive
    environment that even the most ignorant user can use without problems, or
    it's a complex and difficult system that needs years to master and all
    those that judge it aren't qualified to do so.

    It's amusing beyond belief to watch people like Terry squirm one way, then
    spin the other depending on how smart they're trying to pretend to be, all
    the while not even realizing that most people can see precisely what he's
    doing.

    The sad part is that people like Terry can't even see their own stupidity,
    they think they're smart and witty, yet even a casual disecting of any of
    his posts reveals that it's all smoke and mirrors.

  3. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    Poor effort Erik Wintroll, your followup gets an F or 3/100.

    Next time, take big breaths, try and keep that angry Wintroll persona
    under control and think before you write.

    Another underwhelming effort.

  4. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:24:54 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    > Poor effort Erik Wintroll, your followup gets an F or 3/100.
    >
    > Next time, take big breaths, try and keep that angry Wintroll persona
    > under control and think before you write.
    >
    > Another underwhelming effort.

    Another case of Terry completely snipping all context and making up what he
    wants to respond to.

    More intellectual dishonesty from Terry.

  5. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:11:24 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    >> like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    >> switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    >> use Linux.

    > The thing that really amuses me to no end is how people like Terry are so
    > stupid that they don't even recognize their own dichotomies.
    >
    > Premise 1: Linux is so easy to use, even a grandmother can use it!
    >
    > Premise 2: Wintrolls haven't spent the time and energy to learn how to
    > use Linux and/or they're too stupid to be among us elites.

    Correct. Linux is not windows, and to use it you have to learn the
    differences. You have to unlearn especially the idiocy burned into yourt
    tiny brains by years of getting raped by MS

    Premise 1: Windows is so easy to use, even a grandmother can use it!

    Premise 2: Whenever windows barfs all over the table because it is infected
    by hundreds of viruses *again* it is because the user is too incompetent to
    admin it correctly.

    We hear #2 time and again from you wintendo fanbois.

    You can't have both

    < snip more Erik F idiocy >
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  6. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:24:54 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >> Poor effort Erik Wintroll, your followup gets an F or 3/100.
    >>
    >> Next time, take big breaths, try and keep that angry Wintroll persona
    >> under control and think before you write.
    >>
    >> Another underwhelming effort.

    > Another case of Terry completely snipping all context and making up what
    > he wants to respond to.

    Nope. He responded to *you* as your content is meaningless
    Face it, Erik Funkenbusch, whatever you write has as much chance to be taken
    seriously as flatfish posts

    > More intellectual dishonesty from Terry.

    Hardly. Whenever you post something, I will assume that it is completely,
    100% a total fabrication and lie on your part. You have no credibility left
    at all.
    --
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
    the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the

  7. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    On Nov 9, 3:11*am, Terry Porter wrote:
    > Wintrolls
    > Windows, Bill Gates
    > William Gates the 2nd
    > Wintrolls
    > Wintroll, Microsoft
    > Wintrolls
    > Microsoft
    > Wintrolls

    This is a Linux advocacy group. Please take your obsession with
    Windows and Microsoft to a more appropriate place.

  8. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:34:34 -0800, cc wrote:

    > On Nov 9, 3:11Â*am, Terry Porter wrote:

    < see above>

    > This is a Linux advocacy group. Please take your obsession with Windows
    > and Microsoft to a more appropriate place.

    Hi "cc", just thought I'd share a few things with you ...

    1) Complete Children like you shouldn't post on COLA
    2) You're a Wintroll apprentice, a Complete Cretin and not very good yet,
    keep trying tho

    I thought I'd share some of your COLA posts here "cc", so the readers can
    get to know you better. It's kind of an informal "get to know the
    Chaffing Churl" sort of thing :-

    Well for all that money being spent trying to take Microsoft to court,
    maybe the government could help out the poor instead.

    You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    than 5%.

    Kelsey Bjarnason is regarded as a retard no matter where he posts (see
    comp.lang.c). Are you going to tell me that clc is full of Microsoft
    astroturfers now?

    That's fine. My point is that if my system is fast enough, secure
    enough, and runs the software I want/need (and mine is a yes to all
    three, as are most XP users I imagine), then why would I switch? Terry
    Porter seems to think it's a travesty that a majority of people are
    running an 8 year old OS, but what major advances have there been in
    SW or HW over that time that would necessitate an upgrade?

    What is unreasonable is the bible-thumpers of this group like Roy,
    Mark, Peter, HPT, and Homer, to go way beyond technical criticisms of
    Windows, and into Microsoft is evil talk. Ballmer is evil.
    Intellectual property is evil. Windows users are stupid. Then they
    turn around and put Microsoft technologies on resumes, work for
    companies that advertise intellectual property rights, and generally
    use Windows for work and play. That's hypocritical. You're going way
    beyond a reasonable dislike, and then using the thing you hate
    anyway.

    Wintrolls like Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker?

  9. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:11:24 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    >> like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    >> switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    >> use Linux.

    > The thing that really amuses me to no end is how people like Terry are
    > so stupid that they don't even recognize their own dichotomies.
    >
    > Premise 1: Linux is so easy to use, even a grandmother can use it!
    >
    > Premise 2: Wintrolls haven't spent the time and energy to learn how to
    > use Linux and/or they're too stupid to be among us elites.
    >
    > Of course you can't have it both ways. Either Linux is an intuitive
    > environment that even the most ignorant user can use without problems,

    Interesting bit of ageism there - the assumption that Granny must be
    ignorant. Some are, some aren't; what sets "Granny" apart from a
    teenager in this regard tends to be less knowledge versus ignorance and
    more a matter of flexibility - younger minds tend to adapt to things
    which are different more readily.

    Despite that, Granny _can_ use Linux, with ease for most things and a
    mere modicum of effort for most other things. Writing emails, browsing
    the web, using word processing, keeping her system up to date, no
    problem. Setting up a printer to be shared across the network, maybe a
    little difficult but hardly impossible.

    So yeah, Granny can almost certainly use Linux - the key term there being
    "use". It is readily apparent several of the less sane wintrolls do not
    in fact _use_ Linux, as they fail, consistently, to show even the
    slightest ability to manage the simplest of Linux-related feats, the sort
    which would take Granny maybe five minutes to figure out for herself
    without help.

    There is no dichotomy involved; these guys really do portray themselves
    as simply too barking stupid to manage feats which even a relatively
    unskilled novice should be able to manage, unaided, in minutes.

  10. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:11:24 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    >> like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    >> switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    >> use Linux.

    > The thing that really amuses me to no end is how people like Terry are so
    > stupid that they don't even recognize their own dichotomies.
    >
    > Premise 1: Linux is so easy to use, even a grandmother can use it!
    >
    > Premise 2: Wintrolls haven't spent the time and energy to learn how to use
    > Linux and/or they're too stupid to be among us elites.
    >
    > Of course you can't have it both ways. Either Linux is an intuitive
    > environment that even the most ignorant user can use without problems, or
    > it's a complex and difficult system that needs years to master and all
    > those that judge it aren't qualified to do so.
    >
    > It's amusing beyond belief to watch people like Terry squirm one way, then
    > spin the other depending on how smart they're trying to pretend to be, all
    > the while not even realizing that most people can see precisely what he's
    > doing.
    >
    > The sad part is that people like Terry can't even see their own stupidity,
    > they think they're smart and witty, yet even a casual disecting of any of
    > his posts reveals that it's all smoke and mirrors.

    Actually, the sad part is that you simply turn the Windows puzzle back to
    Linux. Squirm, Erik.

    --
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
    -- J.R.R. Tolkien

  11. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:24:54 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >> Poor effort Erik Wintroll, your followup gets an F or 3/100.
    >>
    >> Next time, take big breaths, try and keep that angry Wintroll persona
    >> under control and think before you write.
    >>
    >> Another underwhelming effort.

    > Another case of Terry completely snipping all context and making up what he
    > wants to respond to.
    >
    > More intellectual dishonesty from Terry.

    How so? First, backtracking is easy. Second, your effort was
    underwhelming.

    --
    A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.

  12. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    Terry Porter writes:

    > Recently I asked COLA Linux advocates, "what was their defining moment
    > for switching to Linux full time" and quite a few replied with a detailed
    > account and a personal look into their Linux lives.
    >
    > Thanks Guys, it was great reading, and I feel I know you just that little
    > bit better, I can see where you're coming from!
    >
    > However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    > like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    > switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    > use Linux.

    I know how to use Linux. And it would appear I know more about Linux
    applications than you. You have been wrong on two of your last
    ridiculous rants. The only one more ignorant yet convinced of their own
    knowledge is Liarnut. I see he has been at his tricks again recently,

    > They love Windows, and Bill Gates is their ICON, the American Dream of a
    > poor spoilt rich kid, making it big, with only a little help from his
    > father, Bostons most prominent Lawyer, William Gates the 2nd.

    Hmm. You're either a total wanker or simply insane. I wonder which? Do
    people love the president of Ford because they drive a Mondeo? It sounds
    though that you wear Penguin panties and a picture of Linus adorns your
    bedroom ceiling. Did your Mommy tape it up?

    > It's a riches to riches bedtime story for losers.

    You define people as successful or losers based on the OS they use? Even
    if that OS allows them to run the applications they need to run their
    businesses? Interesting. So 94% of the world's pc users are losers. Only
    Terry Porter the Great knows better eh? But wait! What's your business?
    Oh yes! You rip people off by re-selling branded wireless
    routers. hahahahhahaha! What a sad pathetic little man you are judging
    others when your own existence consists of reselling other peoples work!

    I wonder how much you donate back to OSS funds either financially or
    otherwise? Let me guess : zero.

    > I admit Wintrolls, after hassling you for years, I barely know you
    > all,

    I suspect you do not hassle these fictional Wintrolls. Certainly enough
    posters here laugh at you and your ridiculous posturing and self
    assurance of your position as "Wintroll fighter". You're not. You're
    simply an idiot.

    > to me you're like an elusive Asian Bambi, hiding in the forest shadows,
    > terrified of being seen in the open, afraid of being eaten by the next
    > Linux tiger that comes along.

    Your garbage would be less excruciatingly embarrassing to read if you were at
    least slightly amusing. As it is your clearly embellished, child like
    prose could certainly be improved on by Roy or 7.

  13. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    Terry Porter writes:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:58:54 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    > Poor effort Erik Wintroll, your followup gets an F or 3/100.
    >
    > Next time, take big breaths, try and keep that angry Wintroll persona
    > under control and think before you write.
    >
    > Another underwhelming effort.

    His post was spot on. And being the sad little man you are, you snipped
    it. But for the interested reader here is a precis:

    Terry Porter is a self important little arse who contradicts himself
    more often than his mommy changes his Penguin bed sheets.

  14. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    "Terry Porter" schreef in bericht
    news:sP2dne9_G9eAQovUnZ2dnUVZ_r3inZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:34:34 -0800, cc wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 9, 3:11 am, Terry Porter wrote:

    > < see above>
    >
    >> This is a Linux advocacy group. Please take your obsession with Windows
    >> and Microsoft to a more appropriate place.

    > Well for all that money being spent trying to take Microsoft to court,
    > maybe the government could help out the poor instead.

    Yes

    > You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    > statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    > than 5%.

    Yes

    > Kelsey Bjarnason is regarded as a retard no matter where he posts (see
    > comp.lang.c).

    Yes

    > That's fine. My point is that if my system is fast enough, secure
    > enough, and runs the software I want/need (and mine is a yes to all
    > three, as are most XP users I imagine), then why would I switch? Terry
    > Porter seems to think it's a travesty that a majority of people are
    > running an 8 year old OS, but what major advances have there been in
    > SW or HW over that time that would necessitate an upgrade?

    > What is unreasonable is the bible-thumpers of this group like Roy,
    > Mark, Peter, HPT, and Homer,

    Ha ha, Yes

    > Ballmer is evil.

    No

    > Intellectual property is evil.

    No

    > Windows users are stupid.

    No

    > Then they
    > turn around and put Microsoft technologies on resumes, work for
    > companies that advertise intellectual property rights, and generally
    > use Windows for work and play. That's hypocritical.

    Yes

    > You're going way
    > beyond a reasonable dislike, and then using the thing you hate
    > anyway.

    Yes

    > Wintrolls like Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker?

    Yes
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Get to know the Terry Porter

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:11:24 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post
    >> articles like that, because of course, they have no defining
    >> moment when they switched to Linux because they don't use
    >> Linux, they don't know how to use Linux.

    > The thing that really amuses me to no end is how people like
    > Terry are so stupid that they don't even recognize their own
    > dichotomies.
    >
    > Premise 1: Linux is so easy to use, even a grandmother can
    > use it!

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....24b82d5feb8a11

    "Time needed for a Windows-using high school student to acclimate
    him or herself to the Linux desktop: 10 minutes."

    > Premise 2: Wintrolls haven't spent the time and energy to
    > learn how to use Linux and/or they're too stupid to be among
    > us elites.

    Finally, Erik has made sense.

    > Of course you can't have it both ways. Either Linux is an
    > intuitive environment that even the most ignorant user can use
    > without problems,

    An old, worn strategy - binary (all or nothing) conditions, which
    of course is totally false. My daughter in 3rd grade could
    figure it out, there were many applications and games I had
    loaded from the SuSE distro that catered to her. (Back then, if
    you wanted something better than the evaluation version, you paid
    for it. It was worth every penny at the same cost as Windows 98
    Upgrade.)

    > or it's a complex and difficult system that needs years to
    > master

    Depends, if you're a systems programmer, learning the kernel
    sufficiently to write one's own distro for an unsupported
    processor may.

    > and all those that judge it aren't qualified to do so.

    Sounds like it is a very apt statement for our trolls here.

    > It's amusing beyond belief to watch people like Terry squirm
    > one way, then spin the other depending on how smart they're
    > trying to pretend to be, all the while not even realizing that
    > most people can see precisely what he's doing.

    Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy of Erik Funkenbusch.

    > The sad part is that people like Terry can't even see their
    > own stupidity, they think they're smart and witty, yet even a
    > casual disecting of any of his posts reveals that it's all
    > smoke and mirrors.

    The sad part is this troll Erik fits the description as an ad
    hominem troll:

    http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    Ad hominem troll

    Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
    rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

    The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
    about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
    being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
    troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
    discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
    indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
    emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
    self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
    most troll types.

    The simple ad hominem troll is easily detected and dealt with by
    calling them on their ad hominem attacks.

    However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with
    seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using
    rational tone, they may lull you into thinking that they are
    rational in general and thus their entire message should be
    considered rational. Once they have established such an
    impression, then they will then descend into personal attacks
    which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
    for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.

    Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous comment
    (which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's earlier
    statements), repeating himself (see the section below on
    Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy. Afterwards he
    continues with personal attacks, starting subtly worded, then
    increasingly harsh:

    * "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
    the parallels"
    * "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the
    proverbial bark."
    * "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and
    ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame."
    But here is a bit of bright news, one can purchase a computer
    with Linux already preconfigured:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?Sort=3D=
    4&Nav=3D|c:2814|&Recs=3D30

    PC's configured with Linux:

    1. Everex CloudBook CE1200V Refurbished Netbook - VIA C7-M ULV
    1.2GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 30GB HDD, 7" WVGA,
    Integrated Webcam, gOS V2
    Item #: E80-7001 RB
    Sporting a 7-inch WVGA display, this light as a cloud computer
    weighs a scant 2 pounds, and offers as much as 5 hours of battery
    life.
    $289.99

    2. Sylvania G Netbook - VIA C7-M ULV Processor 1.2GHz, 802.11b/g
    Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 30GB HDD, 7" WVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linux
    Based gOS Operating System
    Item #: D516-7001
    At just under two pounds, the netbook by Sylvania brings you
    ultra light portability and wireless Internet connectivity built
    right in.
    $299.96

    3. Acer Aspire One AOA110-1295 Netbook - Intel Atom=99 Processor
    N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 8GB SSD, 8.9"
    WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite
    Item #: A180-8001
    Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
    productive Acer Aspire One =96 the new thin & light notebook that
    weighs only 2.19 pounds.
    $349.96

    4. Acer Aspire One AOA110-1295 Netbook - Intel Atom=99 Processor
    N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 8GB SSD, 8.9"
    WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite
    Item #: S445-8001
    Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
    productive Acer Aspire One =96 the new thin & light netbook that
    weighs only 2.19 pounds.
    $349.99

    7. Asus Eee PC 4G Netbook - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g Wireless,
    512MB DDR2, 4GB SSD, 7" WVGA, Webcam, Linux, Pearl White
    Item #: A455-7212
    The new Asus Eee PC 4G brings portable computing to the next
    level. At 7-inches and weighing only 2 pounds, you can take the
    Eee PC anywhere.
    $369.99

    9. Acer Aspire One AOA110-1626 Netbook - Intel Atom=99 Processor
    N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 16GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA,
    Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite (Onyx Black)
    Item #: A180-8002
    Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
    productive Acer Aspire One =96 the new thin & light netbook that
    weighs only 2.19 pounds.
    $369.99

    10. Sylvania G Netbook Meso - Intel Atom Processor 1.60GHz,
    802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated
    Webcam, Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Onyx)
    Item #: D516-7003
    Free yourself from clumsy electronics and enjoy uncompromising
    mobility with the g netbook.
    $379.99

    11. Sylvania G Netbook Meso - Intel Atom Processor 1.60GHz,
    802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated
    Webcam, Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Solar)
    Item #: D516-7004
    Free yourself from clumsy electronics and enjoy uncompromising
    mobility with the g netbook.
    $379.99

    12. Sylvania G Netbook Meso - Intel Atom Processor 1.60GHz,
    802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated
    Webcam, Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Snow)
    Item #: D516-7006
    Free yourself from clumsy electronics and enjoy uncompromising
    mobility with the g netbook.
    $379.99

    18. Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g
    Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 20GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam,
    Linux (Galaxy Black)
    Item #: A455-9504
    You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus
    Eee PC 900. It=92s easy to learn, work and play when you own an
    Asus Eee PC 900.
    $429.99

    26. Asus Eee PC 901 Netbook - Intel Mobile Atom Processor,
    Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 20GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA,
    Webcam, Linux (Fine Ebony)
    Item #: A455-8001
    While plenty of PCs promise a revolutionary impact, few deliver
    the goods. That=92s not the case with our new Asus Eee PC 901.
    $519.99

    27. Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g
    Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 20GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam,
    Linux (Pearl White)
    Item #: A455-9500
    You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus
    Eee PC 900. It=92s easy to learn, work and play when you own an
    Asus Eee PC 900.
    $564.99

    28. Asus Eee PC 1000 Netbook - Intel Mobile Atom Processor,
    Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 40GB SSD, 10" WSVGA,
    Webcam, Linux (Fine Ebony)
    Item #: A455-10002
    While plenty of PCs promise a revolutionary impact, few deliver
    the goods. That=92s not the case with our new Asus Eee PC 1000.
    $599.99

    29. Asus Eee PC 1000 Netbook - Intel Atom Processor, Bluetooth,
    802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 40GB SSD, 10" WSVGA, Webcam,
    Linux (Pearl White)
    Item #: A455-10001
    While plenty of PCs promise a revolutionary impact, few deliver
    the goods. That=92s not the case with our new Asus Eee PC 1000.
    $629.99

    Page 1 of 2
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  16. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:rMSdnUh2D4CxBovUnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > Recently I asked COLA Linux advocates, "what was their defining moment
    > for switching to Linux full time" and quite a few replied with a detailed
    > account and a personal look into their Linux lives.

    I would find it kind of lame to even have a "defining moment" in such at
    thing. Do you class Liniux as a kind of religious experience, a
    techno-dweebish sort of rebirth? That is just too cute!

    > Thanks Guys, it was great reading, and I feel I know you just that little
    > bit better, I can see where you're coming from!
    >
    > However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    > like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    > switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    > use Linux.

    At the very least they apparently do not see any reason to use Linux.
    Certainly many Windows platform product developers would know how to do
    that, but they do not.

    > They love Windows, and Bill Gates is their ICON, the American Dream of a
    > poor spoilt rich kid, making it big, with only a little help from his
    > father, Bostons most prominent Lawyer, William Gates the 2nd.
    >
    > It's a riches to riches bedtime story for losers.

    I think that you have the senior Gates located on the wrong coast. You
    should understand that concept, I would think, being an islander yourself.

    > I admit Wintrolls, after hassling you for years, I barely know you all,
    > to me you're like an elusive Asian Bambi, hiding in the forest shadows,
    > terrified of being seen in the open, afraid of being eaten by the next
    > Linux tiger that comes along.

    I think you are far too proud of your (and Linux) meager achievements in
    this regard. Is this the best you can do? Do you have any opinion on the
    GPL? Why would it be necessary for any useful purpose? What might happen
    if it were found to be completely unenforceable? Who could benefit? Try
    thinking about it.

    > Now that's gotta be hard on a Wintroll, with only Microsoft, or your
    > shrink ever being able to appreciate the great work you do on COLA ?
    >
    > So I'm saying to all Wintrolls, now is your chance to tell us a little
    > about yourselves, we know you can't, but we suspect that deep down inside
    > you probably hate being a faceless one dimensional shadow and want to be
    > known as a real person, someone with substance.

    You are grasping at straws and finding none even so. That is the fault of
    the technician mindset.

    > So lets get the ball rolling, now's your chance!
    >
    > I know you're keen to tell us about yourselves in your own words, so
    > I'll just give a few suggestions below to help you get started :-
    >
    > * How long have you worked for Microsoft ?

    One must qualify that as whether being an enthusiastic supporter of the
    platform itself qualifies as "working for Microsoft" or does one have to be
    an actual direct employee to fit your sense of it?

    > * What defining moment caused you to post on COLA like a plague, was it a
    > car accident that left you crippled and bitter, perhaps your wife left
    > you for another woman and her parting words made unkind remarks about a
    > certain part of you that has, shall we say always been a constant source
    > of embarrassment ?

    In my case I was led by some opposed folks in a USA vs Microsoft trial
    discussion to review statments made in this newsgroup. I was amused by the
    naivete of the Linux advocates and then somewhat apalled by their general
    rudeness to those not mired in the cult. I was further apalled when I
    learned of the shameless association claimed by Richard Stallman, a mere
    Harvard BS in Physics, to an alliance with MIT. Such puffery could not go
    unchallenged. Then there was the copycat efforts of Linus Torvalds to ape
    the work of Andy Tannebaum '65. It seemed to me that the whole group was a
    secondary and tertiary level of wannabes who lacked any real credentials and
    were out to make a mockery of the business.

    > Does her gay laughter as she drove off in your car, still echo in your
    > ears Clogwog
    >
    > * Is it your friends and neighbours, do they fail to see your true
    > genius, and just look confused when you tell them of your enormous
    > intellect ?
    > Why can't they understand you, WHY oh WHY Flatfish ?
    >
    > * Perhaps it's your mother, sure, shes 93 and rules with an iron fist,
    > and she has always hated your girlfriends and scared them off, but one
    > day you'll have the last laugh and that 2 bedroom apartment .. IT will
    > be all YOURS.
    > COLA is your only respite from her, and after you have spewed all your
    > built up venom there, you can handle another day without going totally
    > mad!
    > That's her now, "ERIK where is my dinner you lazy good for nothing
    > slob, ... oh I don't believe a horror like you could have ever come from
    > these loins ..."!

    You seem to have an odd point of reference. Is it some kind of
    self-projection? Do you have a college degree or are you yet another
    self-taught techie?

    > So Wintrolls, don't be a stranger now, this thread is for YOU

    So back at you, silly!

  17. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    On Nov 9, 8:01*am, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 04:34:34 -0800, cc wrote:
    > > On Nov 9, 3:11*am, Terry Porter wrote:

    > < see above>
    >
    > > This is a Linux advocacy group. Please take your obsession with Windows
    > > and Microsoft to a more appropriate place.

    > Hi "cc", just thought I'd share a few things with you ...

    Hello "Terry Porter"

    > 1) Complete Children like you shouldn't post on COLA
    > 2) You're a Wintroll apprentice, a Complete Cretin and not very good yet,
    > keep trying tho

    You've become an expert at idiocy though, I see.

    > I thought I'd share some of your COLA posts here "cc", so the readers can
    > get to know you better. It's kind of an informal "get to know the
    > Chaffing Churl" sort of thing :-

    > Well for all that money being spent trying to take Microsoft to court,
    > maybe the government could help out the poor instead.

    Please explain what is wrong with that?

    > You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    > statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    > than 5%.

    Still waiting.

    > Kelsey Bjarnason is regarded as a retard no matter where he posts (see
    > comp.lang.c). Are you going to tell me that clc is full of Microsoft
    > astroturfers now?

    Take a look at how Kelsey is received in other groups. It was a fact.

    > That's fine. My point is that if my system is fast enough, secure
    > enough, and runs the software I want/need (and mine is a yes to all
    > three, as are most XP users I imagine), then why would I switch? Terry
    > Porter seems to think it's a travesty that a majority of people are
    > running an 8 year old OS, but what major advances have there been in
    > SW or HW over that time that would necessitate an upgrade?

    Please explain what was wrong with that statement?

    > What is unreasonable is the bible-thumpers of this group like Roy,
    > Mark, Peter, HPT, and Homer, to go way beyond technical criticisms of
    > Windows, and into Microsoft is evil talk. Ballmer is evil.
    > Intellectual property is evil. Windows users are stupid. Then they
    > turn around and put Microsoft technologies on resumes, work for
    > companies that advertise intellectual property rights, and generally
    > use Windows for work and play. That's hypocritical. You're going way
    > beyond a reasonable dislike, and then using the thing you hate
    > anyway.

    I stand by everything I wrote there.

    > Wintrolls like Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker?

    Hah, I had to look that up to see if I really did write that. That
    looks pretty stupid when you remove all context. Here is a link to
    Chris's reply which shows the full context and shows his complete
    understanding that I was being sarcastic (unlike that idiot Terry
    Porter)

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....n&dmode=source

    A topic was being discussed by many people and Phil Da Lick told us
    "wintrolls" to take it to another group, when the very obvious anti-
    windows posters Chris Ahlstrom and Richard Rasker were also discussing
    the topic.

    As a final note, out of all the stuff I posted here, I can't believe
    you picked those posts for your thesis on me...

  18. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    Ha! Thanks for the laugh!

    Seriously, I do think some (not all) of the wintrolls actually like
    Linux. But that's not why they're here. They're here to disrupt
    this newgroup and to harass anyone saying anything positive about
    Linux or negative about their beloved Monopoly.

  19. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

  20. Re: Get to know the Wintrolls!

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:10:58 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    > news:rMSdnUh2D4CxBovUnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >> Recently I asked COLA Linux advocates, "what was their defining moment
    >> for switching to Linux full time" and quite a few replied with a
    >> detailed account and a personal look into their Linux lives.

    Nice response amicus_curious the Wintroll, thanks for the effort.

    > I would find it kind of lame to even have a "defining moment" in such at
    > thing. Do you class Liniux as a kind of religious experience, a
    > techno-dweebish sort of rebirth? That is just too cute!

    Actually the religious connotations are yours.

    For most Linux users their defining Linux moment is more akin to a car
    wreck, you know ... being pulled from the burning wreck of your Windows
    PC by a selfless stranger.

    One tends to remember these events.

    >> Thanks Guys, it was great reading, and I feel I know you just that
    >> little bit better, I can see where you're coming from!
    >>
    >> However it's a little unfair to the Wintrolls for me to post articles
    >> like that, because of course, they have no defining moment when they
    >> switched to Linux because they don't use Linux, they don't know how to
    >> use Linux.
    >>

    > At the very least they apparently do not see any reason to use Linux.

    But they see a need to post here year after year nevertheless attempting
    to disrupt Linux Advocacy.

    > Certainly many Windows platform product developers would know how to do
    > that, but they do not.

    And I doubt they post anti Linux articles on COLA for two reasons:-
    1) They are too busy
    2) If they actually know how to use Linux, they probably like it.

    >> They love Windows, and Bill Gates is their ICON, the American Dream of
    >> a poor spoilt rich kid, making it big, with only a little help from his
    >> father, Bostons most prominent Lawyer, William Gates the 2nd.
    >>
    >> It's a riches to riches bedtime story for losers.
    >>

    > I think that you have the senior Gates located on the wrong coast. You
    > should understand that concept, I would think, being an islander
    > yourself.

    Ahh, ok, thanks for that correction.

    >> I admit Wintrolls, after hassling you for years, I barely know you all,
    >> to me you're like an elusive Asian Bambi, hiding in the forest shadows,
    >> terrified of being seen in the open, afraid of being eaten by the next
    >> Linux tiger that comes along.
    >>

    > I think you are far too proud of your (and Linux) meager achievements in
    > this regard.

    Then you should see my collection of Wintroll ears!

    > Is this the best you can do?

    Not at all, like you I'm always working on improving my techniques.

    > Do you have any opinion on
    > the GPL?

    Sure, doesn't everyone ?

    > Why would it be necessary for any useful purpose?

    In my case it has proved to be very useful indeed.

    > What might
    > happen if it were found to be completely unenforceable?

    Then we will create one that is unenforceable. So far it has been found
    to be 100% effective.

    > Who could
    > benefit?

    From an unenforceable GPL ?

    Microsoft mainly.

    > Try thinking about it.

    I have, Flatfish. Personally I'm completely comfortable with the GPL V3.

    >> Now that's gotta be hard on a Wintroll, with only Microsoft, or your
    >> shrink ever being able to appreciate the great work you do on COLA ?
    >>
    >> So I'm saying to all Wintrolls, now is your chance to tell us a little
    >> about yourselves, we know you can't, but we suspect that deep down
    >> inside you probably hate being a faceless one dimensional shadow and
    >> want to be known as a real person, someone with substance.
    >>

    > You are grasping at straws and finding none even so.
    > That is the fault
    > of the technician mindset.

    Technicians grasp at straws, you must mean a beverage industry
    technician ?

    Electronics Dictionary: technician

    Expert in troubleshooting circuit and system malfunctions. Along with a
    thorough knowledge of test equipment and how to use it to diagnose
    problems, the technician is also familiar with how to repair or replace
    faulty components. Technicians basically translate theory into action.

    >> So lets get the ball rolling, now's your chance!
    >>
    >> I know you're keen to tell us about yourselves in your own words, so
    >> I'll just give a few suggestions below to help you get started :-
    >>
    >> * How long have you worked for Microsoft ?
    >>

    > One must qualify that as whether being an enthusiastic supporter of the
    > platform itself qualifies as "working for Microsoft" or does one have to
    > be an actual direct employee to fit your sense of it?

    Excellent point, and you could have elaborated, you don't need my
    permission

    >> * What defining moment caused you to post on COLA like a plague, was it
    >> a car accident that left you crippled and bitter, perhaps your wife
    >> left you for another woman and her parting words made unkind remarks
    >> about a certain part of you that has, shall we say always been a
    >> constant source of embarrassment ?

    > In my case I was led by some opposed folks in a USA vs Microsoft trial
    > discussion to review statments made in this newsgroup.

    Opposed to what ?

    > I was amused by
    > the naivete of the Linux advocates and then somewhat apalled by their
    > general rudeness to those not mired in the cult.

    Aha, then your actions are a bit like a skinhead entering a church and
    screaming at the churchgoers that their religion stinks, there is no God,
    that sort of thing ?

    > I was further apalled
    > when I learned of the shameless association claimed by Richard Stallman,
    > a mere Harvard BS in Physics, to an alliance with MIT.

    I pasted the following from MIT's "oldest and largest newspaper & the
    first newspaper publishedon the web." I guess they would know the truth ?

    http://tech.mit.edu/V121/N59/59stallman.59n.html

    "The GNU project began in 1984 when Stallman resigned his position at
    MIT’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory."

    > Such puffery
    > could not go unchallenged.

    It's the truth according to the MIT link above.

    > Then there was the copycat efforts of Linus
    > Torvalds to ape the work of Andy Tannebaum '65.

    Such emotion. Perhaps he should have just bought MINIX from Tannebaum,
    with a loan from his dad in the same way Gates acquired DOS ?

    > It seemed to me that
    > the whole group was a secondary and tertiary level of wannabes who
    > lacked any real credentials and were out to make a mockery of the
    > business.

    Ouch. Your sentiment is so Flatfish. If you're not him, then you are his
    twin brother.

    >> Does her gay laughter as she drove off in your car, still echo in your
    >> ears Clogwog
    >>
    >> * Is it your friends and neighbours, do they fail to see your true
    >> genius, and just look confused when you tell them of your enormous
    >> intellect ?
    >> Why can't they understand you, WHY oh WHY Flatfish ?
    >>
    >> * Perhaps it's your mother, sure, shes 93 and rules with an iron fist,
    >> and she has always hated your girlfriends and scared them off, but one
    >> day you'll have the last laugh and that 2 bedroom apartment .. IT will
    >> be all YOURS.
    >> COLA is your only respite from her, and after you have spewed all your
    >> built up venom there, you can handle another day without going totally
    >> mad!
    >> That's her now, "ERIK where is my dinner you lazy good for nothing
    >> slob, ... oh I don't believe a horror like you could have ever come
    >> from these loins ..."!
    >>

    > You seem to have an odd point of reference. Is it some kind of
    > self-projection?

    I'm a voracious reader, and there is no shortage of ideas to draw upon,
    just the Troll FAQ below is a great source of material:

    Subject: 6. Why do they do it?

    No one knows why the Trolls act as they do, but there are
    several theories. Clearly an individual Troll may be in
    one, or several of these groups, or indeed in none at all.
    It is difficult to believe, but possible, that a totally
    normal person would become a Troll.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.1 The Infant or Attention Seeker theory

    Some believe that the trolls are just adults whos brains and
    morals have not developed beyond childhood, and they are
    just behaving as attention seeking children.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.2 The retired bitter old person theory.

    There is evidence that some Trolls are retired persons,
    with a good pension and little to do with their lives.
    They may have suffered a personal loss such as the death of
    a much loved spouse which warped their outlook on life.

    This type is particularly dangerous, because they may have
    ample funds to buy computer equipment, own multiple domain
    names, and multiple access to the internet. Worse they
    may have, say 8 hour per day to invest in their "hobby".

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.3 The insane person theory.

    Some Trolls may be clinically insane, indeed one posts as
    Mogadon John which may indicate that he/she is taking this
    *major* tranquiliser, or it may just be a joke.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.4 The just evil theory.

    There are people in this world who enjoy destruction. Some
    enjoy murdering children. Some enjoy sexually abusing
    children. Some Trolls may be in a similar category.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.5 The sad git theory.

    There are unfortunately people with such restricted lives
    that they cannot think of anything useful or constructive
    to do with the powerful and expensive kit which they are
    using.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6.6 The loser theory.

    This theory is that the Trolls are just losers who cannot
    succeed in anything in their real lives. They can however
    disrupt usenet with relative impunity.

    > Do you have a college degree or are you yet another
    > self-taught techie?

    Who is asking ?

    >> So Wintrolls, don't be a stranger now, this thread is for YOU
    >>

    > So back at you, silly!

    Well done Flatfish or his twin brother, thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast