Sun releases MySQL 5.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has released the updated 5.1 version of the MySQL open
| source database software it recent acquired, promising improved performance
| and management of larger database applications.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...?scid=rss_z_nw

Sun Microsystems launches database software, optimistic about Philippines

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL is one of the most popular open source database software in the world.
| Web giants such as Google, Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, eBay, Wikipedia and
| Travelocity all run on the MySQL database program. More than 100 million
| copies of MySQL's open source database software have been downloaded and
| distributed since it was created, while another 70,000 copies are downloaded
| each day.
`----

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/...ut-philippines

Avnet Technology Solutions: Warming Up to Sun Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| β€œThe download volume [for MySQL and other Sun open source offerings] is
| tremendous,” says Hurst. β€œBut we have to figure out how we can execute and
| monetize that momentum.”
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/11/06/...n-open-source/

EnterpriseDB finds its Postgres feet against Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| And, critically, it means emphasizing its drop-in Oracle compatibility as a
| way to immediately cut Oracle costs for non-mission critical applications,
| rather than going for the expensive, sales executive-driven rip-and-replace
| sales strategy.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10086134-16.html

With the Web accounted for, it's likely that most of the world's databases are
Free software.

Recent:

All MySQL's children

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL, the premier open-source database, has decided to steal the script from
| All My Children, addressing some of the most challenging issues in
| open-source software, like commercial extensions and now, in lurid detail,
| the fork with Drizzle, as well as an alternative patch community, OurDelta.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10074386-16.html

Drizzle makes MySQL lean, mean again

,----[ Quote ]