Linux Netbooks came out with SSD *first*, ... remember that! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Netbooks came out with SSD *first*, ... remember that! - Linux ; As usual Linux powered devices are usually the FIRST to deploy new cool technologies for us to use. A friend who owns a 'conventional' (Linux/WindowsXP) dropped by the other day, and had a look at our Netbooks. Mine is a ...

  1. Linux Netbooks came out with SSD *first*, ... remember that!

    As usual Linux powered devices are usually the FIRST to deploy new cool
    technologies for us to use.

    A friend who owns a 'conventional' (Linux/WindowsXP) dropped by the other
    day, and had a look at our Netbooks.

    Mine is a Asus Eeepc900 running Debian Lenny
    Hers is a Acer Aspire One, Linux version.

    He had a look at mine, which is nicely set up with XFCE4 but soon was
    foldling the tiny Acer Aspire One with a look of love in his eyes.

    It's a lovely unit, 3 USB ports, two SD slots, audio sockets, lan socket
    and wifi. And it's thin and *tiny*. She has lost it several times
    already, once in her handbag!

    He pressed the on button, and in about 20 seconds Linpus Linux had
    booted, he clicked the network icon in the tooklbar, selected my wifi AP
    and seconds later was surfing the Internet.

    Then he clicked on the Open Office icon, and gasped "it booted OO faster
    than my desktop!" he exclaimed.

    He's right, it does boot OO *really* fast. It also boots OO faster than
    this workstation, a 2.5Ghz Quad Core with 4Gb ram!

    My Asus EeePC900 is the same, it also boots OO *really* fast.

    Remember this if you're tempted to by some lame all-back-of-the-bus XP
    Netbook because it has a 100+ GB hard drive compared to the Acer Linux
    4Gb SSD version.

    Hard drives are so SLOW, so yesterday, so unreliable.

    Kind of like Microsoft Windows ....

  2. Re: Linux Netbooks came out with SSD *first*, ... remember that!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Remember this if you're tempted to by some lame all-back-of-the-bus XP
    > Netbook because it has a 100+ GB hard drive compared to the Acer Linux
    > 4Gb SSD version.
    >
    > Hard drives are so SLOW, so yesterday, so unreliable.
    >
    > Kind of like Microsoft Windows ....

    0.5 Gb of RAM and a 4 SSD is plenty for doing the basic tasks: email, music,
    browsing, coding.

    It's a little surprsing to me that you can also pile OpenOffice onto the
    machine, too.

    Of course, with added memory and external drives, you only need a "little"
    memory for your current working project(s).

    Target may actually get it.

    I stopped by a Circuit City and a Walmart today. They don't get it. The
    hard drive XP versions only. The sales guy at CC tried to sell me the XP
    box (after I told him I was looking for a Linux netbook).

    He seemed taken aback when I told him I consider XP to be crap.

    --
    Reappraisal, n.:
    An abrupt change of mind after being found out.

+ Reply to Thread