Re: Learning Windows, mostly a waste of time compared to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Learning Windows, mostly a waste of time compared to Linux - Linux ; On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:27:31 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > To be fair, Terry, this is a lot of overlap in the concepts, even if the > implementations have different quirks. Well, they're both software, and they both run ...

  1. Re: Learning Windows, mostly a waste of time compared to Linux

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:27:31 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > To be fair, Terry, this is a lot of overlap in the concepts, even if the
    > implementations have different quirks.

    Well, they're both software, and they both run on hardware but I believe
    there is a big difference.

    Linux Tools: Free
    Windows tools: $$$ pay $$$

  2. Re: Learning Windows, mostly a waste of time compared to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:27:31 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >

    >> To be fair, Terry, this is a lot of overlap in the concepts, even if the
    >> implementations have different quirks.

    > Well, they're both software, and they both run on hardware but I believe
    > there is a big difference.
    >
    > Linux Tools: Free
    > Windows tools: $$$ pay $$$

    Although the $ is a significant factor for many users, to me its the freedom
    involved. Freedom to copy, modify, redistribute, and install as many copies
    as I like. Furthermore, pressure to promulgate these freedoms to others and
    pressure to keep them from taking these freedoms away.

    The other factor for me is that I just love the way the Linux environments
    work. You have a wide variety of ways to do most tasks, depending on your
    preferences, mood, and cognitive and physical limitations.

    --
    Why you say you no bunny rabbit when you have little powder-puff tail?
    -- The Tasmanian Devil

+ Reply to Thread