[News] VirtualLogix Plays Nice with Linux - Linux

  1. [News] VirtualLogix Plays Nice with Linux

    VirtualLogix Extends Virtualization to Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since the vendor started life developing virtualization for networking gear,
    | particularly for the carrier market (switches, media gateways, base stations
    | and so on), it clearly has a background in virtualizing both proprietary OSes
    | and Linux. This is particularly pertinent, as Linux is the open source OS of
    | choice for vendors in the space when they want to offer new applications on
    | their boxes while retaining legacy applications on their own OSes.
    |
    | Thus, Linux on handsets is no challenge for VirtualLogix.
    `----

    http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...d_2778547.html

    Recent:

    Virtualization design targets wireless base stations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | VirtualLogix and 6Wind announced a Linux-based multi-core networking
    | reference design aimed at 4G wireless base stations and smart media gateway
    | equipment. The reference design combines Linux, the 6WindGate multi-core
    | networking stack, and VirtualLogix's VLX-NI (network infrastructure)
    | virtualization technology, all running on Texas Instruments C6000 multi-core
    | digital signal processors (DSPs).
    `----

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3...44.html?kc=rss

    Sunnyvale's VirtualLogix bringing virtualization to mobile phones

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Why would you want to do this? Well, you could create a phone that works off
    | a manufacturer's legacy OS, but can also support Linux, which is fast
    | becoming a favorite of mobile developers.
    `----

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=25830

    Related:

    Real-time virtualization targets Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Takafumi Nishijima, president of ARM Japan, stated, "VirtualLogix's
    | real-time virtualization solution increases the market value of ARM
    | processors. With VirtualLogix, we can keep the real-time performance
    | of an RTOS combined with Linux, while simultaneously adding improved
    | security and device management capabilities."
    |
    | Ryutaro Tanaka, manager of TI's DSP platform business development in
    | Japan, added, "With VirtualLogix virtualization software, our
    | customers can run the DSP/BIOS kernel and Linux simultaneously."
    `----

    Single-core 3G phone design runs Linux on virtualized processor

    ,----[ Quote]
    | VirtualLogix will demonstrate a multimedia-enabled Linux-based
    | mobile phone reference design powered by a single ARM9 processor,
    | at 3GSM next week in Barcelona. The NXP Nexperia 7210 design could
    | spawn some of the world's first single-core mobile phones
    | running open, "rich" operating systems, such as Linux.
    `----

    VirtualLogix Launches Mobile eXperimentation Edition for Handsets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to ABI Research, an open, commercial operating system that
    | supports third-party applications promotes competition in the software
    | space and produces products that add value to the device. As an open
    | operating system, Linux is proving to be disruptive to the handheld
    | market by enabling feature and smart phones to securely adopt
    | third-party applications.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/M...n_for_Handsets
    http://tinyurl.com/3cu2h8

  2. Re: [News] VirtualLogix Plays Nice with Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > VirtualLogix Extends Virtualization to Mobile Devices
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Since the vendor started life developing virtualization for networking
    > | gear, particularly for the carrier market (switches, media gateways,
    > | base stations and so on), it clearly has a background in virtualizing
    > | both proprietary OSes and Linux. This is particularly pertinent, as
    > | Linux is the open source OS of choice for vendors in the space when they
    > | want to offer new applications on their boxes while retaining legacy
    > | applications on their own OSes.
    > |
    > | Thus, Linux on handsets is no challenge for VirtualLogix.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...d_2778547.html

    I'd love to see a virtualised mobile phone (e.g. an Android) put out there
    under GPL. That will create immense number of applications in next to no
    time for the investment put into it.

+ Reply to Thread