Linux, netbooks threaten Microsoft's fat profits

,----[ Quote ]
| The story also cites a Citigroup study as saying that netbooks will
| represent "about a third" of PC growth in 2008, and will grow at an annual
| rate of 60 percent through 2010, when Citigroup expects 29 million netbooks
| to sell.
`----

Since over 40% are estimated to be running GNU/Linux (first reference below),
that makes well over 10% prebundling rate for GNU/Linux overall, on
so-called 'desktops'.

Recent:

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/onli..._netbooks_wave

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent [preinstalled, not installed base]

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
|
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

Sustainable computing for the masses

,----[ Quote ]