Is Smolt the Key to Counting Linux Users?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users are not an easy bunch to profile or to count. Many Linux users
| download the operating system for free and never perform any kind of systems
| registration to enumerate their hardware.
|
| That's where Smolt may be able to help fill the gap. Smolt is an open source
| hardware profiling technology that is already being used by Red Hat's Fedora
| and is set for inclusion in the upcoming Novell OpenSUSE 11.1 release.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software...inux+Users.htm

Linux growth: The Asus connection

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek is not a name most people know. The Taiwan-based hardware maker
| traditionally operates in the PC-board sector. But a few years ago the
| company began to make its own notebook PCs.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3584

Recent:

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...the_asus_eeepc

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

Acer bets big on Linux