Hey - what's up with Ubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on Hey - what's up with Ubuntu - Linux ; I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install from 6.x to 8.04. I'm trying to setup the machine the way it was before and I need to install some software that needs to compile it's own kernel modules. No problem since I ...

  1. Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install from 6.x to 8.04. I'm trying to setup
    the machine the way it was before and I need to install some software that
    needs to compile it's own kernel modules. No problem since I have gcc
    installed - or so I think. Because when the installer attempts to build the
    kernel module it gives this error:

    - 'Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
    trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.3". This configuration is not
    supported.'

    So what's up with this? Isn't a bug/error for Ubuntu to ship 8.04 with a
    different compiler than what the kernel was built with? I never explicitly
    upgraded my gcc version. After the initial install I downloaded the 158
    required updates that update manager told me that I needed. But what's the
    point of Ubuntu installing a version of the compiler that isn't compatible
    with the compiler the used to build the kernel?

  2. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install from 6.x to 8.04. I'm trying to setup
    > the machine the way it was before and I need to install some software that
    > needs to compile it's own kernel modules. No problem since I have gcc
    > installed - or so I think. Because when the installer attempts to build the
    > kernel module it gives this error:
    >
    > - 'Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
    > trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.3". This configuration is not
    > supported.'
    >
    > So what's up with this? Isn't a bug/error for Ubuntu to ship 8.04 with a
    > different compiler than what the kernel was built with? I never explicitly
    > upgraded my gcc version. After the initial install I downloaded the 158
    > required updates that update manager told me that I needed. But what's the
    > point of Ubuntu installing a version of the compiler that isn't compatible
    > with the compiler the used to build the kernel?

    That's to be expected, really. It happens in Debian, too.

    But you may be able to workaround it. I had to do this at work,
    as I update my system quite frequently, while the other developers working
    on Linux apparently do not. I run the build from the command line. Before
    starting it, though:

    $ export CC="gcc-4.1"
    $ export CXX="g++-4.1"

    The make process then uses this older compiler.

    On the desktop system, I have versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3
    installed.

    --
    Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the
    whole girl.

  3. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:20:48 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom it was written:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install from 6.x to 8.04. I'm trying to
    >> setup the machine the way it was before and I need to install some
    >> software that needs to compile it's own kernel modules. No problem
    >> since I have gcc installed - or so I think. Because when the installer
    >> attempts to build the kernel module it gives this error:
    >>
    >> - 'Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
    >> trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.3". This configuration is not
    >> supported.'
    >>
    >> So what's up with this? Isn't a bug/error for Ubuntu to ship 8.04 with
    >> a different compiler than what the kernel was built with? I never
    >> explicitly upgraded my gcc version. After the initial install I
    >> downloaded the 158 required updates that update manager told me that I
    >> needed. But what's the point of Ubuntu installing a version of the
    >> compiler that isn't compatible with the compiler the used to build the
    >> kernel?

    > That's to be expected, really. It happens in Debian, too.
    >
    > But you may be able to workaround it. I had to do this at work, as I
    > update my system quite frequently, while the other developers working on
    > Linux apparently do not. I run the build from the command line. Before
    > starting it, though:
    >
    > $ export CC="gcc-4.1"
    > $ export CXX="g++-4.1"
    >
    > The make process then uses this older compiler.
    >
    > On the desktop system, I have versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3
    > installed.

  4. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:20:48 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom it was written:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I recently upgraded my Ubuntu install from 6.x to 8.04. I'm trying to
    >> setup the machine the way it was before and I need to install some
    >> software that needs to compile it's own kernel modules. No problem
    >> since I have gcc installed - or so I think. Because when the installer
    >> attempts to build the kernel module it gives this error:
    >>
    >> - 'Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
    >> trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.3". This configuration is not
    >> supported.'
    >>
    >> So what's up with this? Isn't a bug/error for Ubuntu to ship 8.04 with
    >> a different compiler than what the kernel was built with? I never
    >> explicitly upgraded my gcc version. After the initial install I
    >> downloaded the 158 required updates that update manager told me that I
    >> needed. But what's the point of Ubuntu installing a version of the
    >> compiler that isn't compatible with the compiler the used to build the
    >> kernel?

    > That's to be expected, really. It happens in Debian, too.

    Ooops. Accidentally sent the old post before I was ready. This is a new
    Ubuntu 8.04 install and I don't recall running into this before.

    > But you may be able to workaround it. I had to do this at work, as I
    > update my system quite frequently, while the other developers working on
    > Linux apparently do not. I run the build from the command line. Before
    > starting it, though:
    >
    > $ export CC="gcc-4.1"
    > $ export CXX="g++-4.1"
    >
    > The make process then uses this older compiler.

    Question for you - If I do this will my installed gcc (4.2.x)
    automatically use the 4.1.x "compatibility mode" or do I also need to
    install the older compiler as well?

    Since I need to manually launch the install/build script from the CLI
    exporting these env-vars isn't a problem.

    > On the desktop system, I have versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3
    > installed.

    No previous installs here. Just what came with Ubuntu. And now I noticed
    there's another unrelated issue. The 'Update manager' keeps notifying me
    that I have updates to install. They all installed but these 6 keep
    failing with the same error (Below). Have you run into this? What's up...
    did these updates get pulled from the site for some reason?

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/
    libgvfscommon0_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/
    gvfs-backends_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/
    gvfs_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/
    gvfs-fuse_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/
    nautilus-sendto/nautilus-sendto_0.13.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/
    xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-
    intel_2.2.1-1ubuntu13.6_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

  5. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:20:48 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom it was written:
    >
    >> But you may be able to workaround it. I had to do this at work, as I
    >> update my system quite frequently, while the other developers working on
    >> Linux apparently do not. I run the build from the command line. Before
    >> starting it, though:
    >>
    >> $ export CC="gcc-4.1"
    >> $ export CXX="g++-4.1"
    >>
    >> The make process then uses this older compiler.

    > Question for you - If I do this will my installed gcc (4.2.x)
    > automatically use the 4.1.x "compatibility mode" or do I also need to
    > install the older compiler as well?

    I think the latter. I have 5 gcc executables installed, and a plain gcc
    soft link to the latest version.

    > Since I need to manually launch the install/build script from the CLI
    > exporting these env-vars isn't a problem.
    >
    >> On the desktop system, I have versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3
    >> installed.

    > No previous installs here. Just what came with Ubuntu.

    I installed the 3.x version explicitly, IIRC. You can do the same in
    synaptic, I'd bet.

    > And now I noticed
    > there's another unrelated issue. The 'Update manager' keeps notifying me
    > that I have updates to install. They all installed but these 6 keep
    > failing with the same error (Below). Have you run into this? What's up...
    > did these updates get pulled from the site for some reason?
    >
    > W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/
    > libgvfscommon0_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
    > 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    Cache problem? Beats the hell out of me. (And don't you tell that sounds
    like a good idea!!!)

    See if it goes away in a couple days

    --
    The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad
    trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and

  6. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:57:33 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom it was written:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out

    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:20:48 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom it was written:

    >>> But you may be able to workaround it. I had to do this at work, as I

    >>> update my system quite frequently, while the other developers working

    >>> on Linux apparently do not. I run the build from the command line.

    >>> Before starting it, though:

    >>> $ export CC="gcc-4.1"

    >>> $ export CXX="g++-4.1"

    >>> The make process then uses this older compiler.

    >> Question for you - If I do this will my installed gcc (4.2.x)

    >> automatically use the 4.1.x "compatibility mode" or do I also need to

    >> install the older compiler as well?

    > I think the latter. I have 5 gcc executables installed, and a plain gcc

    > soft link to the latest version.

    Most apps, and I'm guessing gcc usually create a link from the generic (ie
    gcc, db2, etc) to the latest version. If you upgrade then the old version is
    still there but you need to call it explicitly. Right now for example
    /usr/bin/gcc is a link to gcc-4.2.

    >> Since I need to manually launch the install/build script from the CLI

    >> exporting these env-vars isn't a problem.

    >>> On the desktop system, I have versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3

    >>> installed.

    >> No previous installs here. Just what came with Ubuntu.

    > I installed the 3.x version explicitly, IIRC. You can do the same in

    > synaptic, I'd bet.

    I'll have to try this all later. I'm in the middle of a huge backup right
    now (remember how I was earlier talking about ESXi and virtualization) so I
    need to let that finish before I retry building the kernel modules. (It's a
    network driver and part of the build is to restart the network which would
    disconnect the backup client.)

    >> And now I noticed

    >> there's another unrelated issue. The 'Update manager' keeps notifying

    >> me that I have updates to install. They all installed but these 6 keep

    >> failing with the same error (Below). Have you run into this? What's

    >> up... did these updates get pulled from the site for some reason?

    >> W: Failed to fetch

    >> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gvfs/

    >> libgvfscommon0_0.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb

    >> 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

    > Cache problem? Beats the hell out of me. (And don't you tell that

    > sounds like a good idea!!!)

    See if it goes away in a couple days

    Just got it "working" but this is weird. From the GUI Synaptic Package
    manager this fails every time. But I just went to the CLI and typed in:

    sudo apt-get update

    sudo apt-get upgrade

    And it worked the first time. Looking at the output there's:

    Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main libgvfscommon0
    0.2.5-0ubuntu3 [33.0kB]

    Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main gvfs-backends
    0.2.5-0ubuntu3 [684kB]

    So there's a difference in the URLs. The GUI is trying to fetch from
    ..../ubuntu/pool/main... and apt-get got it from .../hardy-updates/main/...

    DAMN - Another problem. I can't post this from pan. This is a new install
    and I was able to make a few posts. And then some failed. And then some
    worked again. And now this one is failing with a error 441 - No valid
    newsgroups. So I need to remote desktop into my Windows box to send this.

    ERRR!!!!! I set the RDP screen resolution a bit too high for this laptop so
    I can't see the entire bottom of the screen. But there's *no* scrollbars on
    the terminal services. You got to have scrollbars!!!

  7. Re: Hey - what's up with Ubuntu

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > See if it goes away in a couple days
    >
    > Just got it "working" but this is weird. From the GUI Synaptic Package
    > manager this fails every time. But I just went to the CLI and typed in:
    >
    > sudo apt-get update
    > sudo apt-get upgrade
    >
    > And it worked the first time. Looking at the output there's:
    >
    > Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main libgvfscommon0
    > 0.2.5-0ubuntu3 [33.0kB]
    >
    > Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main gvfs-backends
    > 0.2.5-0ubuntu3 [684kB]
    >
    > So there's a difference in the URLs. The GUI is trying to fetch from
    > .../ubuntu/pool/main... and apt-get got it from .../hardy-updates/main/...

    I like aptitude (the console "GUI").

    --
    Have a taco.
    -- P. S. Beagle