Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux! - Linux

This is a discussion on Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux! - Linux ; owl writes: > Hadron wrote: >> owl writes: >> >>> Hadron wrote: >>>> owl writes: >>>> >>>>> Hadron wrote: >>>>>> owl writes: >>>>>> >>>>>>> Hadron wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> But thousands of free programs are available from the Internet. Sound ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:

    >>> OMG, the irony...

    >> Repeating lies does not make it true.

    > What lies?

    >>> No **** they work on Windoze. In Windoze, you can run whatever you can
    >>> SQUEEZE ONTO THAT ONE DESKTOP.

    >> What are you talking about? mysql, apache etc listed are servers.
    >>

    > So?? Have you never used a desktop to configure, monitor, or develop
    > for those servers? I generally have half a dozen xterms running when
    > working on some apache/postgresql/php project. Not to mention a few
    > more for man pages and general system monitoring, file management,
    > etc.

    So what?

    You seem to miss the point. Again. Virtual Desktops are available for
    windows if you need them. I use things like Emacs with elscreen or
    screen in a gnome terminal if I want similar. I certainly do not need
    virtail desktops anyway. But IF YOU WANT THEM YOU CAN HAVE THEM.

    >>> Damn, you are illiterate. I make a two-sentence post, and you fail
    >>> to comprehend it. I can only imagine the confusion that would engulf
    >>> you if you were ever to attempt to read a book.

    >> Whats this squeeze nonsense? You can have multiple desktops on Windows
    >> too.

    > Alpha-quality bugware.

    Not at all.

    >> Or learn to use alt-tab or minimise/maxmise.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAAHA yeah right, Wintard. That's how I want to spend my
    > day.

    Wintard? Do you not hit a hot key to change desktops? I do to select the
    app I want. Or I select the elscreen I want which in itself might have 6
    buffers visible.

    >> I knew you were
    >> clueless a long time ago but please dont make it worse.
    >>
    >> Sheesh.

    > OMFG. You do realize that the words "wintard" and "clueless" were
    > coined on the same day, don't you.

    You seem to confuse using a VDM with Windows/Linux. Are you that stupid?
    I use emacs mostly for my development and certainly do not need
    different GUI desktops to remember what I am doing. You should try it -
    you might not come across as so clueless.....

    One can always tell a clueless noob because they fixate on the silly
    gimicky tools and thing they are l33t as opposed to the optimal way of
    working using less resources in a more efficient and timely manner.

    Try screen for a start. You can thank me another day.

  2. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl wrote:

    > Quack snotted:
    >>
    >> You can have multiple desktops on Windows too.

    >Alpha-quality bugware.

    Windows zealots like Quack are so hypocritical...

    --
    'What amazes me is the "zealots" continually harp on about the "number
    of apps". The fact that more than half are incomplete, forgotten,

  3. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > owl wrote:
    >
    >> Quack snotted:
    >>>
    >>> You can have multiple desktops on Windows too.

    >>Alpha-quality bugware.

    > Windows zealots like Quack are so hypocritical...
    >
    > --
    > 'What amazes me is the "zealots" continually harp on about the "number
    > of apps". The fact that more than half are incomplete, forgotten,
    > buggy and plain rubbish doesn't seem to matter.' - "True Linux
    > advocate" Hadron Quark

    Say, chrisv, how many gigabytes of data does your database of Self-Nuking
    Quark Quotes occupy, anyway?

    --
    To be a kind of moral Unix, he touched the hem of Nature's shift.
    -- Shelley

  4. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Repeating lies does not make it true.

    >> What lies?

    >>> What are you talking about? mysql, apache etc listed are servers.
    >>>

    >> So?? Have you never used a desktop to configure, monitor, or develop
    >> for those servers? I generally have half a dozen xterms running when
    >> working on some apache/postgresql/php project. Not to mention a few
    >> more for man pages and general system monitoring, file management,
    >> etc.

    > So what?

    So all that takes up space on ONE desktop. What about my news session
    and web browser? What about my OO spreadsheet with my budget? What
    about my chess game? What about my pr0n?

    > You seem to miss the point. Again. Virtual Desktops are available for
    > windows if you need them. I use things like Emacs with elscreen or
    > screen in a gnome terminal if I want similar. I certainly do not need
    > virtail desktops anyway. But IF YOU WANT THEM YOU CAN HAVE THEM.

    Everybody needs them. They may not realize it, but they need them.

    >>> Whats this squeeze nonsense? You can have multiple desktops on Windows
    >>> too.

    >> Alpha-quality bugware.

    > Not at all.

    Please. If it were beta, it would be included with Windoze.

    >>> Or learn to use alt-tab or minimise/maxmise.

    >> BWAHAHAHAHAAHA yeah right, Wintard. That's how I want to spend my
    >> day.

    > Wintard? Do you not hit a hot key to change desktops? I do to select the
    > app I want. Or I select the elscreen I want which in itself might have 6
    > buffers visible.

    And it still takes up a lot of real estate. If you're doing more than
    five or six things at a time, then it quickly becomes annoying.

    >>> I knew you were
    >>> clueless a long time ago but please dont make it worse.
    >>>
    >>> Sheesh.

    >> OMFG. You do realize that the words "wintard" and "clueless" were
    >> coined on the same day, don't you.

    > You seem to confuse using a VDM with Windows/Linux. Are you that stupid?
    > I use emacs mostly for my development and certainly do not need
    > different GUI desktops to remember what I am doing. You should try it -
    > you might not come across as so clueless.....

    It's not about remembering what you are doing. It's about organizing
    your work. That's a concept that is fundamental to efficiency, so it's
    not surprising that it would be difficult for a Wintard to grasp.

    > One can always tell a clueless noob because they fixate on the silly
    > gimicky tools and thing they are l33t as opposed to the optimal way of
    > working using less resources in a more efficient and timely manner.

    What is wrong with your mind? You think I'm p0sing because I think that
    multiple desktops are a NECESSITY that should be included with any
    so-called modern GUI?

    > Try screen for a start. You can thank me another day.
    >
    > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/34

    I tried screen about 10 years ago. It's more closely related to
    one desktop with multiple windows than it is to multiple desktops.
    Your talent for missing the point never ceases to amaze me.

  5. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > A fireman, by contrast, is occasionally called upon to
    > do daring rescues and/or to stop combustion of human-built
    > structures or combustion of forests threatening such.
    >
    > (He also gets to drive a rather neat truck.)

    I'm sure the Geek Squad and Firedog dudes get to drive neat vehicles, too.)

    You remind me a lot of Michael Swaine of Dr. Dobb's Journal.

    --
    The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.
    -- Kirk, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.8

  6. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > Because when I responded with the link to the Windows version, Terry's
    >> > claim was a general non-existence claim. He had not yet retconned it to
    >> > be a narrower, non-existence under the same licensing terms claim.

    >> So, you were waiting to be called on it.

    > Huh? Terry made a false claim. I called him on it. He then revised
    > his claim, saying he meant it wasn't available for free so that poor
    > Windows users could use it.
    >
    > What exactly do you think there was for me to "called on"?
    >
    > And, of course, Terry's revised claim is *not* what he originally meant,
    > as can be seen by considering his replies to Erik, where he said Erik
    > doesn't like it because it doesn't run on Windows, and the lack of such
    > tools was the reason Erik had trouble configuring a client's firewall in
    > the past. Terry basically said to Erik something like "ha ha, you got
    > in trouble with a client because you can't use fwbuilder on Windows!
    > You suck!". Do you seriously think Erik is so poor that he cannot
    > afford an $80 license if it will solve a problem he's having providing
    > service to a client?

    Would *you* spend $80 to earn $20?

  7. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, owl belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Alpha-quality bugware.

    >> Not at all.

    > Please. If it were beta, it would be included with Windoze.

    Worse, it's been alpha-quality bugware for many years. No progress.
    Microsoft doesn't think it would "sell any boxes".

    In spite of the large number of implementations of such desktops in the
    Windows world:

    http://www.filetransit.com/topfile.p...ual_Desktop_3d

    And that doesn't even include Windowblinds.

    --
    Nature is by and large to be found out of doors, a location where,
    it cannot be argued, there are never enough comfortable chairs.

  8. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    On Nov 10, 2:49 pm, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > A fireman, by contrast, is occasionally called upon to
    > > do daring rescues and/or to stop combustion of human-built
    > > structures or combustion of forests threatening such.

    > > (He also gets to drive a rather neat truck.)

    > I'm sure the Geek Squad and Firedog dudes get to drive neat vehicles, too.)

    I wouldn't know offhand regarding Firedog. Geek Squad
    vehicles, the ones that I've seen, look like black vans
    with orange trim, or a Volkswagen Beetle (new variant).

    > You remind me a lot of Michael Swaine of Dr. Dobb's Journal.

    I wouldn't know about that, either. ;-)

  9. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >chrisv belched:
    >>
    >> owl wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Quack snotted:

    >>>Alpha-quality bugware.

    >> Windows zealots like Quack are so hypocritical...
    >>
    >> --
    >> 'What amazes me is the "zealots" continually harp on about the "number
    >> of apps". The fact that more than half are incomplete, forgotten,
    >> buggy and plain rubbish doesn't seem to matter.' - "True Linux
    >> advocate" Hadron Quark

    >Say, chrisv, how many gigabytes of data does your database of Self-Nuking
    >Quark Quotes occupy, anyway?

    It's actually measure in liters, of snot. Quite a lot!

    --
    "Thanks beardies - a lot of people will become very rich from your
    hard work." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3