Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux! - Linux

This is a discussion on Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux! - Linux ; After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom: > Terry Porter wrote: > >> Nebulous claims with no supporting evidence, why am I not >> surprised with you Flatfish Wintroll ? > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

  1. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> Nebulous claims with no supporting evidence, why am I not
    >> surprised with you Flatfish Wintroll ?

    > See http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...lwg-troll.html
    >
    > Home page link mentioned doesn't work, but if one goes to URL
    > root, then faculty will find it there.

    I wonder why Tim didn't acknowledge that Windows users require a completely
    different license, and a /purchase/ to use FWBuilder for more than 30 days?

    --
    With/Without - and who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
    -- Pink Floyd

  2. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Terry Porter writes:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:27:32 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    >> newssqdnXFnKOzWqIjUnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@netspace.net.au...
    >>>
    >>> Before the Wintrolls start shouting that all the applications for Linux
    >>> are also available for Windows, you should be aware that this claim is
    >>> only half true.
    >>>
    >>> FwBuilder (www.fwbuilder.org) is one example of a Linux application NOT
    >>> available for Windows, much to Erik Wintrolls distress.
    >>>

    >> Are you suspecting that your child will want to grow up to be a firewall
    >> builder?

    > Your mate, little Erik Wintroll could have benefited enormously with
    > FwBuilder, perhaps even saved a business from his incompetence.
    >
    >> That is truly odd.

    > Only to a Wintroll. Go back to your card game, or write a nice memo to
    > Erik on Msworks.
    >

    >> Another odd thing is that this application is available for Windows
    >> also, in spite of the claim made here.

    > Nebulous claims with no supporting evidence, why am I not surprised with
    > you Flatfish Wintroll ?

    You mean like the links on their web page?

    You're really letting the side down.

  3. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Terry Porter writes:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:00:34 +0000, Rob Schwenk wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 00:44:27 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> [snipped]
    >>
    >> Excellent Linux advocacy post Terry. Your posts are a breath of fresh
    >> air in this windows trolls infected newsgroup. Keep up the good work.

    > Thanks Rob!
    >
    > I used to post real accounts of my Linux use back in the old days but the
    > Wintroll noise was huge.These days with Roy S posting his news articles,
    > the Wintroll to noise ratio is so low, it's a walk in the park, and I
    > feel I'm getting the Linux advocacy messages thru.
    >
    > The Wintroll responses to my articles are proof of that.
    >
    > This is how it works, the more they hate your Linux advocacy, the 'worse'
    > their attacks.
    >
    > Personally I love it, every attack just gives me a good laugh, these
    > morons couldn't organise a fight in a pub.
    >

    > Cheers
    > Terry

    In the real world correcting someone is not considered an attack. You
    should be grateful that people are interested enough to look at the
    products you mention and to put you right on your erroneous
    understanding. Being a salesman of third party routers your technical
    knowledge is clearly lacking but do TRY and post something truthful and
    accurate.

  4. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >> But thousands of free programs are available from the Internet. Sound
    >> familiar?
    >>
    >> Including Celestia .....
    >>
    >> Including OO, Firefox, Apache, MySQL etc etc etc etc.
    >>
    >> And then the thousands of non free titles including entertainment and
    >> business.

    > Windoze. Squeezing a universe of software onto one desktop.
    > "Which two or three apps would you like to run today?"

    Oh dear me. All those apps work the same on Linux too. High Plains
    Hypocrite or Terry Porter would not even have made that mistake.

    *chuckle*

    COLA - you could not make it up.

  5. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Hadron wrote:

    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>

    >>> But thousands of free programs are available from the Internet. Sound
    >>> familiar?
    >>>
    >>> Including Celestia .....
    >>>
    >>> Including OO, Firefox, Apache, MySQL etc etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>> And then the thousands of non free titles including entertainment and
    >>> business.

    >> Windoze. Squeezing a universe of software onto one desktop.
    >> "Which two or three apps would you like to run today?"

    > Oh dear me. All those apps work the same on Linux too.

    No, they don't.
    Apache for example is way slower on windows than on linux
    Same is true for MySQL

    > High Plains
    > Hypocrite or Terry Porter would not even have made that mistake.
    >
    > *chuckle*
    >
    > COLA - you could not make it up.

    It would be difficult to show anyone as the liar you really are, Hadron
    Quark

    How was that nymshifting run you so miserably failed at?
    --
    Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' -
    they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.

  6. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    > It would be difficult to show anyone as the liar you really are, Hadron
    > Quark
    >
    > How was that nymshifting run you so miserably failed at?

    Here's the thing: Although you can find situations where XP seems to
    perform better, often it is simply due to preloading. Also, you can't
    neglect the situation when you have a lot of work going on at once, pegging
    the CPU(s). Linux, in my experience, provides a much faster experience in
    this case. I don't know how many times an errant process (e.g. sometimes
    streamripper will go 100% when a stream temporarily flakes out) has pegged
    the CPU on Linux, and I don't even notice it as I work and do other stuff,
    until I happen to glance at gkrellm.

    On XP? Things get boggy immediately.

    --
    I'm starting to think the gene pool could use a little chlorine.

  7. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:H8WdndV335jK3IvUnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:27:32 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    >> newssqdnXFnKOzWqIjUnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@netspace.net.au...
    >>>
    >>> Before the Wintrolls start shouting that all the applications for Linux
    >>> are also available for Windows, you should be aware that this claim is
    >>> only half true.
    >>>
    >>> FwBuilder (www.fwbuilder.org) is one example of a Linux application NOT
    >>> available for Windows, much to Erik Wintrolls distress.
    >>>

    >> Are you suspecting that your child will want to grow up to be a firewall
    >> builder?

    > Your mate, little Erik Wintroll could have benefited enormously with
    > FwBuilder, perhaps even saved a business from his incompetence.

    You are planning to have your child grow up to be a benefit Erik Wintroll?
    That is even more odd than the first!

    >> That is truly odd.

    > Only to a Wintroll. Go back to your card game, or write a nice memo to
    > Erik on Msworks.
    >

    >> Another odd thing is that this application is available for Windows
    >> also, in spite of the claim made here.

    > Nebulous claims with no supporting evidence, why am I not surprised with
    > you Flatfish Wintroll ?

    Well, since you had supplied the original link, I thought that it would be
    obvious to you, since it is so obvious to everyone else. But perhaps your
    mind is clouded with all those Foster beers! See
    http://www.fwbuilder.org/netcitadel/index.html

  8. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    In article ,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I wonder why Tim didn't acknowledge that Windows users require a completely
    > different license, and a /purchase/ to use FWBuilder for more than 30 days?

    Because when I responded with the link to the Windows version, Terry's
    claim was a general non-existence claim. He had not yet retconned it to
    be a narrower, non-existence under the same licensing terms claim.

    I'll give Terry some credit, though--trying to change his claim is an
    improvement. Normally, he'd just stick by the original, false, claim,
    on the grounds that he's an advocate, so it doesn't matter if he's
    actually right or not.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    On 2008-11-09, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm wondering how long it is until Hadron and Hadron II start
    >>> mutually masturbating with each other, a la flatfish and his socks.

    >> Oh please no... I'm having afternoon coffee and friand after a hard
    >> day's work...
    >>
    >> I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

    > Serves you right! All that talk of food preparation!

    Please stop... Masturbating trolls... food... together in the one
    post...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> I wonder why Tim didn't acknowledge that Windows users require a completely
    >> different license, and a /purchase/ to use FWBuilder for more than 30 days?

    > Because when I responded with the link to the Windows version, Terry's
    > claim was a general non-existence claim. He had not yet retconned it to
    > be a narrower, non-existence under the same licensing terms claim.

    So, you were waiting to be called on it.

    --
    Don't lose Your head/ To gain a minute
    You need your head/ Your brains are in it.

  11. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    In article ,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I wonder why Tim didn't acknowledge that Windows users require a completely
    > >> different license, and a /purchase/ to use FWBuilder for more than 30 days?

    > > Because when I responded with the link to the Windows version, Terry's
    > > claim was a general non-existence claim. He had not yet retconned it to
    > > be a narrower, non-existence under the same licensing terms claim.

    > So, you were waiting to be called on it.

    Huh? Terry made a false claim. I called him on it. He then revised
    his claim, saying he meant it wasn't available for free so that poor
    Windows users could use it.

    What exactly do you think there was for me to "called on"?

    And, of course, Terry's revised claim is *not* what he originally meant,
    as can be seen by considering his replies to Erik, where he said Erik
    doesn't like it because it doesn't run on Windows, and the lack of such
    tools was the reason Erik had trouble configuring a client's firewall in
    the past. Terry basically said to Erik something like "ha ha, you got
    in trouble with a client because you can't use fwbuilder on Windows!
    You suck!". Do you seriously think Erik is so poor that he cannot
    afford an $80 license if it will solve a problem he's having providing
    service to a client?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > Because when I responded with the link to the Windows version, Terry's
    >> > claim was a general non-existence claim. He had not yet retconned it to
    >> > be a narrower, non-existence under the same licensing terms claim.

    >> So, you were waiting to be called on it.

    > Huh? Terry made a false claim. I called him on it. He then revised
    > his claim, saying he meant it wasn't available for free so that poor
    > Windows users could use it.
    >
    > What exactly do you think there was for me to "called on"?

    It should be obvious. You wanted it to appear as if the disposition of the
    firewall product were similar for Windows users and Linux users.

    --
    We prefer to speak evil of ourselves rather than not speak of ourselves at all.

  13. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>>

    >>> But thousands of free programs are available from the Internet. Sound
    >>> familiar?
    >>>
    >>> Including Celestia .....
    >>>
    >>> Including OO, Firefox, Apache, MySQL etc etc etc etc.
    >>>
    >>> And then the thousands of non free titles including entertainment and
    >>> business.

    >> Windoze. Squeezing a universe of software onto one desktop.
    >> "Which two or three apps would you like to run today?"

    > Oh dear me. All those apps work the same on Linux too. High Plains
    > Hypocrite or Terry Porter would not even have made that mistake.
    >
    > *chuckle*
    >
    > COLA - you could not make it up.

    Are you drunk? Because that statement does not make *any* sense
    as a reply to my post. Seriously, what the **** are you babbling
    about here?

  14. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:

    >>> Windoze. Squeezing a universe of software onto one desktop.
    >>> "Which two or three apps would you like to run today?"

    >> Oh dear me. All those apps work the same on Linux too. High Plains
    >> Hypocrite or Terry Porter would not even have made that mistake.
    >>
    >> *chuckle*
    >>
    >> COLA - you could not make it up.

    > Are you drunk? Because that statement does not make *any* sense
    > as a reply to my post. Seriously, what the **** are you babbling
    > about here?

    It makes perfect sense if (a) you can read, and (b) you know that those
    apps I listed work on Windows too.

    Hint : "free programs". They run on Windows too. There is no difference
    between how you run them. Some idiot (could of been you) suggested that
    somehow running apps on Windows was "squeezing". You can run as little
    or lot as you wish on Windows too you know. In fact there is LESS
    squeezing since Windows installs LESS "default" apps as most leading
    Linux distros. Not that I would recommend Windows over Linux here but do
    TRY to be honest.

  15. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Oh dear me. All those apps work the same on Linux too. High Plains
    >>> Hypocrite or Terry Porter would not even have made that mistake.
    >>>
    >>> *chuckle*
    >>>
    >>> COLA - you could not make it up.

    >> Are you drunk? Because that statement does not make *any* sense
    >> as a reply to my post. Seriously, what the **** are you babbling
    >> about here?

    > It makes perfect sense if (a) you can read,

    OMG, the irony...

    > and (b) you know that those
    > apps I listed work on Windows too.

    No **** they work on Windoze. In Windoze, you can run whatever you can
    SQUEEZE ONTO THAT ONE DESKTOP.

    Damn, you are illiterate. I make a two-sentence post, and you fail
    to comprehend it. I can only imagine the confusion that would engulf
    you if you were ever to attempt to read a book.

    > Hint : "free programs". They run on Windows too. There is no difference
    > between how you run them. Some idiot (could of been you) suggested that
    > somehow running apps on Windows was "squeezing". You can run as little
    > or lot as you wish on Windows too you know. In fact there is LESS
    > squeezing since Windows installs LESS "default" apps as most leading
    > Linux distros. Not that I would recommend Windows over Linux here but do
    > TRY to be honest.

    You are totally out to lunch.

  16. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl wrote:

    >Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> It makes perfect sense if (a) you can read,

    >OMG, the irony...
    >
    >> and (b) you know that those
    >> apps I listed work on Windows too.

    >No **** they work on Windoze. In Windoze, you can run whatever you can
    >SQUEEZE ONTO THAT ONE DESKTOP.
    >
    >Damn, you are illiterate. I make a two-sentence post, and you fail
    >to comprehend it.

    Well, the "true Linux advocate" had to "correct" you, because you were
    being "dishonest", you know...

    --
    "Linux as a desktop OS is pretty much doomed, it would appear. Too
    little too late." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  17. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    In article ,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > > Huh? Terry made a false claim. I called him on it. He then revised
    > > his claim, saying he meant it wasn't available for free so that poor
    > > Windows users could use it.
    > >
    > > What exactly do you think there was for me to "called on"?

    > It should be obvious. You wanted it to appear as if the disposition of the
    > firewall product were similar for Windows users and Linux users.

    In the posts I was aware of, Terry had not specified that the license
    must be the same for a program to count as being available under both
    Windows and Linux. He only talked about functionality. See, for
    example, this post of his:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e08f853eff2926
    ed>

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:rrVRk.67293$vX2.12066@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..

    >> What exactly do you think there was for me to "called on"?

    > It should be obvious. You wanted it to appear as if the disposition of
    > the
    > firewall product were similar for Windows users and Linux users.

    Well, Mr. Porter indicated that access to this application was essential to
    his child's life's choice. I would think that 79 bucks is insignificant in
    comparison to this need.

  19. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:

    >>> Are you drunk? Because that statement does not make *any* sense
    >>> as a reply to my post. Seriously, what the **** are you babbling
    >>> about here?

    >> It makes perfect sense if (a) you can read,

    > OMG, the irony...

    Repeating lies does not make it true.

    >> and (b) you know that those
    >> apps I listed work on Windows too.
    >>

    > No **** they work on Windoze. In Windoze, you can run whatever you can
    > SQUEEZE ONTO THAT ONE DESKTOP.

    What are you talking about? mysql, apache etc listed are servers.

    > Damn, you are illiterate. I make a two-sentence post, and you fail
    > to comprehend it. I can only imagine the confusion that would engulf
    > you if you were ever to attempt to read a book.

    Whats this squeeze nonsense? You can have multiple desktops on Windows
    too. Or learn to use alt-tab or minimise/maxmise. I knew you were
    clueless a long time ago but please dont make it worse.

    Sheesh.

  20. Re: Give your kids more than three employment options with Linux!

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It makes perfect sense if (a) you can read,

    >> OMG, the irony...

    > Repeating lies does not make it true.

    What lies?

    >>> and (b) you know that those
    >>> apps I listed work on Windows too.
    >>>

    >> No **** they work on Windoze. In Windoze, you can run whatever you can
    >> SQUEEZE ONTO THAT ONE DESKTOP.

    > What are you talking about? mysql, apache etc listed are servers.

    So?? Have you never used a desktop to configure, monitor, or develop
    for those servers? I generally have half a dozen xterms running when
    working on some apache/postgresql/php project. Not to mention a few
    more for man pages and general system monitoring, file management, etc.

    >> Damn, you are illiterate. I make a two-sentence post, and you fail
    >> to comprehend it. I can only imagine the confusion that would engulf
    >> you if you were ever to attempt to read a book.

    > Whats this squeeze nonsense? You can have multiple desktops on Windows
    > too.

    Alpha-quality bugware.

    > Or learn to use alt-tab or minimise/maxmise.

    BWAHAHAHAHAAHA yeah right, Wintard. That's how I want to spend my day.

    > I knew you were
    > clueless a long time ago but please dont make it worse.
    >
    > Sheesh.

    OMFG. You do realize that the words "wintard" and "clueless" were
    coined on the same day, don't you.