[News] Users Hate New Hotmail, GNU/Linux Snubbed by Microsoft - Linux

  1. [News] Users Hate New Hotmail, GNU/Linux Snubbed by Microsoft

    Hotmail users bitch and moan about new interface

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We asked Microsoft if it would respond to Hotmail users and their grumbles by
    | providing the option to switch between modes, but at time of writing the
    | company had not responded to our request for comment
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...ce_complaints/

    Microsoft breaks HotMail for Linux users?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Linux-Watch reader today reported difficulties using Microsoft's Hotmail
    | service with Firefox browsers running on Linux operating systems. We
    | confirmed that creating a new Hotmail account was not possible, due to an
    | error message suggesting a "browser upgrade."
    `----

    http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS60...33.html?kc=rss

    Recent:

    Microsoft Announces Changes for Accessing Hotmail with Outlook Express

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Important news if you currently access your Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook
    | Express, come June 30th. this will no longer be possible.
    |
    | A change is coming for users that access Hotmail with Outlook Express.
    | Outlook Express uses a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and
    | Versioning protocol) to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account.
    | DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a
    | web-based mail server.
    `----

    http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/a...k-express.aspx
    http://tinyurl.com/43rg86

    Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
    to Outlook Express"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I
    | subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
    | to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail’s interface was overhauled: it now
    | has a “classic” interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
    | limited, and a supposedly “Full” interface that should make it the equal of
    | sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...with_firefox_2

    Related:

    Hotmail engine overhaul

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
    | a total wash, however.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
    | Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6...ml?tag=st.next

    A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
    | support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
    | future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
    | allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
    | desktops or infrastructure.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
    | network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
    | on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
    | really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
    | not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
    | Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
    | storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
    | as Active Directory.
    `----

    Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
    | caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
    | casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
    | well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
    | with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...friendly_fire/

    Hotmail still riddled with spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Hotmail addresses are spam.
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
    | predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
    | be "eliminated" within two years.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ed-spam-admits

    It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
    | blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
    | policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
    | to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
    | Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
    `----

    http://success.grownupgeek.com/index...-who-will-win/

    If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
    | Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
    | there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
    | 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
    | email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
    | the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
    | where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
    | you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
    | Vanish.
    `----

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fail...achment_Emails

    Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
    | spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
    | instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
    | spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
    | to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...66&Itemid=1054

    Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
    | deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
    | become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
    | error when you try to delete it.
    `----

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/...n_windows_mail

    Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
    | Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
    | problems getting onto the services.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

    Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
    | users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
    | The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
    | cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
    | e-mail was laden with a virus.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-616...0-20&subj=news

    Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    | could find it here.
    |
    | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
    | real digital inequities in the world.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Users Hate New Hotmail, GNU/Linux Snubbed by Microsoft

    On 2008-11-08, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Hotmail users bitch and moan about new interface
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| We asked Microsoft if it would respond to Hotmail users and their grumbles by
    >| providing the option to switch between modes, but at time of writing the
    >| company had not responded to our request for comment
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...ce_complaints/

    I wouldn't worry. $MONOPOLY will issue a "patch" that breaks the
    complainers' machines. They'll be so worn out trying to recover they'll
    forget they had a gripe about the crappy NHotmail interface.

    > Microsoft breaks HotMail for Linux users?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A Linux-Watch reader today reported difficulties using Microsoft's Hotmail
    >| service with Firefox browsers running on Linux operating systems. We
    >| confirmed that creating a new Hotmail account was not possible, due to an
    >| error message suggesting a "browser upgrade."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS60...33.html?kc=rss

    And here I was, thinking they didn't like us!

    --
    Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was right.

+ Reply to Thread