Democratization of Knowledge, P2P alternatives and more in Ecuador

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Marco Fioretti of the Italian Digifreedom to report on the congress
| on free software and education that we both attended as speakers in Quito,
| Ecuador, and which was organized and hosted by the Salesian teaching order,
| who preferentially work with the children of the poor.
`----

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/democr...dor/2008/11/05

Recent:

Ecuador: A Weekend of Free Software Throughout the Country

,----[ Quote ]
| In Ecuador, this event gathered a lot of attention, especially since the
| President of the Republic, Rafael Correa, by means of decree No. 1014 of
| April 10, 2008, ruled that the computers in the public administration should
| utilize free software. This decree fulfills a promise made in a speech in
| 2007 that would migrate all of the country's computers to these free systems. * *
`----

http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/20...-celebrations/

South America warms to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In South American countries, as in most other areas of the world, the
| government is by far the biggest purchaser of software. Thus the Open Source
| trend that is now established in the government sector across the continent
| will doubtless spur Open Source adoption in the private sector. *
|
| There are a variety of motives for Open Source adoption in play in there,
| from the reduction in software costs to the desire to provide a "leg-up" to
| the local software industry. However, the motivation of the Peruvian
| government is unique in that the Peruvian supporters of the bill see "Open
| Source" as a citizen's right. The ownership and responsibility for the use of
| data and software have become a political issue in Peru. * *
|
| This is an idea that is unlikely to go away.
`----

http://argentinadiscovery.page.tl/So...pen-Source.htm

South American Software Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Who ultimately forced Sun to open-source Java? Was it external pressure,
| either from Java developers or the open-source community? Or was it internal,
| perhaps a mandate from CEO Jonathan Schwartz? *
|
| Answer: None of the above. According to Jonathan himself, it was Brazil.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/architect/205600791

Related:

Success for free software in Latin America!

,----[ Quote ]
| And today was the day that the president elect pronounced himself in
| favor of migrating to free software!
|
| [...]
|
| Ecuador is a small country, with a population hovering around 13
| million inhabitants. About 80% of the population is poor. A good
| half of the entire population barely has resources to eat.
|
| [...]
|
| Evidently, monopoly rents (licenses) in proprietary software are
| simply incompatible with our economy. If we want to take advantage
| of computers, our only options are the GNU and Linux systems ands
| oftware out there. Otherwise, we'll be attempting to out-compete
| the competition, using their ground rules. Ha!
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2006/12/1...latin-america/

Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
| ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
| free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
| Spanish... *
`----

http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5290...open-standards

Venezuela Launches Sale of "Bolivarian" Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The new computers will run the open-source Linux operating system
| and will first be used inside the government "missions" and state
| companies and institutions but eventually are expected to be sold
| across Venezuela and Latin America.
`----

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2326

Gates promotes PC training in Colombia