Why Microsoft is running scared of Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Why Microsoft is running scared of Linux - Linux ; Microsoft is frightened. Even Ballmer is telling users that they can skip Vista, which tells you everything you need to know about Vista's failure. Today, major PC vendors are selling netbooks like hotcakes on a cold Vermont morning and three ...

  1. Why Microsoft is running scared of Linux

    Microsoft is frightened. Even Ballmer is telling users that they can
    skip Vista, which tells you everything you need to know about Vista's
    failure.

    Today, major PC vendors are selling netbooks like hotcakes on a cold
    Vermont morning and three out of ten of those are running Linux. As my
    comrade in arms, Preston Gralla observes, "Microsoft isn't just
    worried about ceding 30 percent of the netbook market to Linux. It's
    also worried that if people get used to Linux on netbooks, they'll
    consider buying Linux on desktop PCs. Here's what Dickie Chang, an
    analyst at research firm IDC in Taipei, told Bloomberg about that:
    'It's a real threat to Microsoft. It gives users a chance to see and
    try something new, showing them there is an alternative.'"

    For all the mistaken excitement about Windows 7, the earliest anyone
    is going to see Windows 7 is the 2009 holiday season. That's eternity
    in Linux terms. Linux is already better than Vista and the equal to
    Microsoft's best desktop operating system, Windows XP SP 3. By the
    time Windows 7 appears, Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu will have all gone
    through at least two more generations of upgrades.

    Windows is a slow dinosaur competing with the fast-moving Linux
    mammals. It's not a race I expect Windows to win....Linux is already
    more stable, more secure, vastly faster boot times, and it's far less
    expensive than Windows...

    The days when Microsoft ruled the desktop are numbered and Windows 7
    is Microsoft's frantic attempt to forestall the inevitable.

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/why_m...cared_of_linux

  2. Re: Why Microsoft is running scared of Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Microsoft is frightened. Even Ballmer is telling users that they can
    > skip Vista, which tells you everything you need to know about Vista's
    > failure.
    >
    > Today, major PC vendors are selling netbooks like hotcakes on a cold
    > Vermont morning and three out of ten of those are running Linux. As my
    > comrade in arms, Preston Gralla observes, "Microsoft isn't just
    > worried about ceding 30 percent of the netbook market to Linux. It's
    > also worried that if people get used to Linux on netbooks, they'll
    > consider buying Linux on desktop PCs. Here's what Dickie Chang, an
    > analyst at research firm IDC in Taipei, told Bloomberg about that:
    > 'It's a real threat to Microsoft. It gives users a chance to see and
    > try something new, showing them there is an alternative.'"

    As does the Mac.

    > For all the mistaken excitement about Windows 7, the earliest anyone
    > is going to see Windows 7 is the 2009 holiday season. That's eternity
    > in Linux terms. Linux is already better than Vista and the equal to
    > Microsoft's best desktop operating system, Windows XP SP 3. By the
    > time Windows 7 appears, Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu will have all gone
    > through at least two more generations of upgrades.
    >
    > Windows is a slow dinosaur competing with the fast-moving Linux
    > mammals. It's not a race I expect Windows to win....Linux is already
    > more stable, more secure, vastly faster boot times, and it's far less
    > expensive than Windows...
    >
    > The days when Microsoft ruled the desktop are numbered and Windows 7
    > is Microsoft's frantic attempt to forestall the inevitable.
    >

    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/why_m...cared_of_linux

    Almost makes you feel sorry for Microsoft. Not.

    --
    any facts posited and opposes any conclusions reached in this message.

    -- Seen in the headers of a mail from Branden Robinson

  3. Re: Why Microsoft is running scared of Linux

    wrote in message

    > Microsoft is frightened. Even Ballmer is telling users that they can
    > skip Vista, which tells you everything you need to know about Vista's
    > failure.
    >
    > Today, major PC vendors are selling netbooks like hotcakes on a cold
    > Vermont morning and three out of ten of those are running Linux. As my
    > comrade in arms, Preston Gralla observes, "Microsoft isn't just
    > worried about ceding 30 percent of the netbook market to Linux. It's
    > also worried that if people get used to Linux on netbooks, they'll
    > consider buying Linux on desktop PCs. Here's what Dickie Chang, an
    > analyst at research firm IDC in Taipei, told Bloomberg about that:
    > 'It's a real threat to Microsoft. It gives users a chance to see and
    > try something new, showing them there is an alternative.'"

    Oh, THE Dickie Chang?

    > For all the mistaken excitement about Windows 7, the earliest anyone
    > is going to see Windows 7 is the 2009 holiday season. That's eternity
    > in Linux terms. Linux is already better than Vista and the equal to
    > Microsoft's best desktop operating system, Windows XP SP 3. By the
    > time Windows 7 appears, Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu will have all gone
    > through at least two more generations of upgrades.

    And no one will have cared.

    > Windows is a slow dinosaur competing with the fast-moving Linux
    > mammals. It's not a race I expect Windows to win....Linux is already
    > more stable, more secure, vastly faster boot times, and it's far less
    > expensive than Windows...

    And no one seems to care.

    > The days when Microsoft ruled the desktop are numbered and Windows 7
    > is Microsoft's frantic attempt to forestall the inevitable.

    And it is working.

    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/why_m...cared_of_linux

+ Reply to Thread