Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever! - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever! - Linux ; Despite the linux liars like us to believe, Vista is doing very well! http://vista.blorge.com/2008/10/21/b...istas-success/ "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer says Vista could be one of the company's all-time most successful products. While his explanation of the claim makes sense, it's another ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    Despite the linux liars like us to believe, Vista is doing very well!
    http://vista.blorge.com/2008/10/21/b...istas-success/
    "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer says Vista could be one of the company's
    all-time most successful products. While his explanation of the claim makes
    sense, it's another case of a Ballmer statement which won't strike a chord
    with many analysts or computer users.
    The comments came in a recent speech in Brazil. Asked about the impact of
    Vista's poor reception on company morale, he replied:
    Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    quite successful."
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    "Clogwog" schreef in bericht
    > Despite the linux liars like us to believe, Vista is doing very well!
    > http://vista.blorge.com/2008/10/21/b...istas-success/
    > "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer says Vista could be one of the company's
    > all-time most successful products. While his explanation of the claim
    > makes sense, it's another case of a Ballmer statement which won't strike a
    > chord with many analysts or computer users.
    > The comments came in a recent speech in Brazil. Asked about the impact of
    > Vista's poor reception on company morale, he replied:
    > Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    > over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    > Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    > quite successful."

  3. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    On 2008-11-07, Clogwog was urged to write the following:

    > Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    > over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    > Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    > quite successful."

    Doesn't surprise me. There are being more computers sold than ever,
    and almost all of them come with Vista pre-installed.

    ~ Tommy
    --
    Lisa, vampires are make-believe, like elves, gremlins, and eskimos.
    ~ Homer J. Simpson

  4. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    On Nov 7, 12:15 pm, TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-11-07, Clogwog was urged to write the following:

    > > Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    > > over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    > > Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    > > quite successful."

    > Doesn't surprise me. There are being more computers sold than ever,
    > and almost all of them come with Vista pre-installed.

    Keep in mind that Microsoft permitted the OEMs to "Downgrade" to XP -
    but they still purchased a Vista License, so all of the XP machines
    sold during the first 18 months were reported to Microsoft as "Vista
    sales".

    Today, Microsoft requires that the OEMs ship the machine with Vista
    installed, but for $20 the OEMs will give you XP "Downgrade Media".
    Corporate customers are purchasing the machines with Vista licenses
    but then using their Corporate XP images to "Downgrade" the machines
    to XP. About 80% of the "Vista" machines sold to corporate customers
    have been downgraded to XP. Nobody knows how many consumer vista
    machines have been downgraded to XP in the last 12 months (since they
    couldn't be ordered that way).

    In addition, many of these downgrades are being done by using Linux
    and virtualization to eliminate hardware incompatibility problems.
    Many newer machines can't run with XP in native mode, so rather than
    trying to dig up drivers, users are using Linux and VMWare or Xen to
    provide an XP friendly hardware image.

    The other bit of Bad news for Microsoft, is that PC sales have been
    slowing, while Mac and sub-notebook sales are climbing.

    The big question is "How long before OEMs start insisting on complete
    configuration control so they can install their own combinations of
    Linux and XP". The OEMs don't want Vista, they want the same deal
    that Apple got, where they can put their own OS on the PC, and have XP
    as a virtual client.

    Unfortunately, this may require that an OEM like ACER or ASUS simply
    refuses to license one of their lines for Windows and sells the
    machines with a pre-installed version of Linux with no windows, and
    puts it on retail shelves. With a new administration - it's likely
    that any attempt by Microsoft to prevent the display of these new
    Linux machines would result in government sanctions.

  5. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    Rex Ballard espoused:

    > On Nov 7, 12:15 pm, TomB wrote:
    >> On 2008-11-07, Clogwog was urged to write the following:

    >> > Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    >> > over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    >> > Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    >> > quite successful."

    >> Doesn't surprise me. There are being more computers sold than ever,
    >> and almost all of them come with Vista pre-installed.

    > Keep in mind that Microsoft permitted the OEMs to "Downgrade" to XP -
    > but they still purchased a Vista License, so all of the XP machines
    > sold during the first 18 months were reported to Microsoft as "Vista
    > sales".
    >
    > Today, Microsoft requires that the OEMs ship the machine with Vista
    > installed, but for $20 the OEMs will give you XP "Downgrade Media".
    > Corporate customers are purchasing the machines with Vista licenses
    > but then using their Corporate XP images to "Downgrade" the machines
    > to XP. About 80% of the "Vista" machines sold to corporate customers
    > have been downgraded to XP. Nobody knows how many consumer vista
    > machines have been downgraded to XP in the last 12 months (since they
    > couldn't be ordered that way).

    It's quite funny to consider how many sales there have, apparently, been
    of Vista, but I've only ever found one person who had it. He didn't
    like it at all, incidentally, although it was a work machine, so he
    hadn't chosen it anyway.

    It's perhaps even more interesting to consider that Microsoft are
    slashing their growth predictions for their "most successful product
    ever".

    Real growth is in the netbook/appliance/mobility space. Vista has zero
    presence in that space.

  6. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    "Clogwog" wrote in message
    > Despite the linux liars like us to believe, Vista is doing very well!
    > http://vista.blorge.com/2008/10/21/b...istas-success/
    > "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer says Vista could be one of the company's
    > all-time most successful products. While his explanation of the claim
    > makes sense, it's another case of a Ballmer statement which won't strike a
    > chord with many analysts or computer users.
    > The comments came in a recent speech in Brazil. Asked about the impact of
    > Vista's poor reception on company morale, he replied:
    > Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much getting
    > over - we're not going to have products that are much more successful than
    > Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the first 18 months,
    > quite successful."
    > --

    In these days of meganumerology, it is easy to lose perspective here. An
    example might help.

    This sales volume of the often disrespected Vista is some billion dollars a
    month. At that rate of revenue, one could buy all the shares of Red Hat and
    Novell, representing the entirety of the successful(?) Linux business, in
    less than 4 months. From another point of view, the combined Linux related
    sales of Red Hat and Novell, including all service and support, would take
    well in excess of 100 years just to match the Vista sales volume to-date.

  7. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    "Rex Ballard" wrote in message

    > .... With a new administration - it's likely
    > that any attempt by Microsoft to prevent the display of these new
    > Linux machines would result in government sanctions.

    Well, Linux certainly needs to be protected and perhaps put on some life
    support as well. Like the whooping crane and Hawaiian crow, it would soon
    perish if left alone.

  8. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    amicus_curious wrote:
    > "Rex Ballard" wrote...
    >
    >> .... With a new administration - it's likely that any
    >> attempt by Microsoft to prevent the display of these new
    >> Linux machines would result in government sanctions.

    > Well, Linux certainly needs to be protected and perhaps put on
    > some life support as well. Like the whooping crane and
    > Hawaiian crow, it would soon perish if left alone.

    No, rather it is the other way around:

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/1...y-the-numbers/

    October 24, 2008, 5:29 pm
    Microsoft’s Vista Problem, by the Numbers
    By Steve Lohr

    Microsoft reported a reassuringly solid quarter in tough times on
    Thursday, but its Windows business looked weak.

    The big Windows unit reported a 2 percent rise in revenue and 4
    percent decline in operating income. That is well below the norm
    for Microsoft’s lucrative personal operating system business [...]

    The Windows problem? It is not selling enough of its Windows
    Vista software, the operating system introduced in January 2007.
    [...]

    The netbook challenge to Microsoft is two-fold.

    First, if they run Windows, the machines run a slimmed-down
    version of Windows XP. Charles Di Bona of Sanford Bernstein
    estimates that Microsoft pockets $30 to $35 on a netbook. By
    contrast, he figures that the operating system license fee on a
    standard consumer PC, running Vista, is about $70.

    The second netbook issue for Microsoft is that many of those
    machines run the Linux operating system. (Mr. Di Bona’s Bernstein
    colleague, A.M. Sacconaghi, estimates netbooks accounted for that
    4.5 to 5 percent of the 10 to 12 percent unit growth of PC sales
    in the September quarter.)

    Corporations, Mr. Di Bona said, have not upgraded to Vista as
    widely or as quickly as they have tended to with past Windows
    operating systems. Now, with the economy troubled and corporate
    technology budgets squeezed, Vista’s successor stands in the
    wings. Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will ship by late next year.
    In comparison to Vista, Linux through netbooks is doing very well.

    --
    HPT

  9. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    "amicus_curious" schreef in bericht
    news:4914910d$0$31525$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...

    > "Clogwog" wrote in message
    >> Despite the linux liars like us to believe, Vista is doing very well!
    >> http://vista.blorge.com/2008/10/21/b...istas-success/
    >> "Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer says Vista could be one of the company's
    >> all-time most successful products. While his explanation of the claim
    >> makes sense, it's another case of a Ballmer statement which won't strike
    >> a chord with many analysts or computer users.
    >> The comments came in a recent speech in Brazil. Asked about the impact of
    >> Vista's poor reception on company morale, he replied:
    >> Vista is our best selling product ever. So, if that takes too much
    >> getting over - we're not going to have products that are much more
    >> successful than Vista has been. We sold over 180 million copies in the
    >> first 18 months, quite successful."
    >> --

    > In these days of meganumerology, it is easy to lose perspective here. An
    > example might help.
    >
    > This sales volume of the often disrespected Vista is some billion dollars
    > a month. At that rate of revenue, one could buy all the shares of Red Hat
    > and Novell, representing the entirety of the successful(?) Linux business,
    > in less than 4 months. From another point of view, the combined Linux
    > related sales of Red Hat and Novell, including all service and support,
    > would take well in excess of 100 years just to match the Vista sales
    > volume to-date.

    Ha, ha, of course your right, despite all efforts of linux advocates to make
    us believe that linux is on the edge of a "major breakthrough" in the
    desktop market.
    Since august Linux is going down again!
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

  10. Re: PISTA: 18 months, 180 million copies sold to micoshaft bum boyees!

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Clogwog
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    All the PISTA software were licensed not sold you *STUPID* ****!

    And Doh! And the micoshaft fan boyee is posting net abuse in a Linux
    newsgroups for what? To get paid by micoshaft?

    The micoshaft fan boyees need to take more drugs - it juar ain't workin
    for them.

    In the mean time, all the Linux enthusiasts
    bought 1.5 billion+ embedded Linux gadets.
    And downloaded more free software than micoshaft had ever created.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  11. Re: PISTA: 18 months, 180 million copies sold to micoshaft bum boyees!

    "7" schreef in bericht
    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Clogwog
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > All the PISTA..............

    zzzzzzz SNORE | FART zzzzzzz

  12. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold ... to retailers and OEMs.

    Currently available in a dusty overstuffed warehouse near you.

    Windows: Where Would You Like Us To Stuff It Today?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:13:31 up 2 days, 4:56, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.24, 0.18

  13. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message

    >No, rather it is the other way around:

    Well you take the piddly amounts of revenue from the 20 to 30% of netbook
    sales in exchange for the $12B of Vista sales and smile. Keep telling
    yourself how you are winning the struggle. It will keep you sane.

    "Blessed are the chumps,..."

  14. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    > Rat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Rex Ballard" wrote...
    >>>
    >>> .... With a new administration - it's likely that any
    >>> attempt by Microsoft to prevent the display of these new
    >>> Linux machines would result in government sanctions.

    >> Well, Linux certainly needs to be protected and perhaps put on
    >> some life support as well. Like the whooping crane and
    >> Hawaiian crow, it would soon perish if left alone.

    Oh, is that why it has grown, and continues to grow, in the face of
    government apathy and corporate bribery, Rat? Much to your chagrin,
    it seems to be quite resilient against **** like you and your masters.

  15. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Rat wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Rex Ballard" wrote...

    >>> Well, Linux certainly needs to be protected and perhaps put on
    >>> some life support as well. Like the whooping crane and
    >>> Hawaiian crow, it would soon perish if left alone.

    > Oh, is that why it has grown, and continues to grow, in the face of
    > government apathy and corporate bribery, Rat? Much to your chagrin,
    > it seems to be quite resilient against **** like you and your masters.

    Resilient. A good word for Linux. GNU/Linux.

    --
    Life only demands from you the strength you possess.
    Only one feat is possible -- not to have run away.

  16. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    Clogwog (Rick Mathers) wrote:

    > Ha, ha, of course your right, despite all efforts of linux
    > advocates to make us believe that linux is on the edge of a
    > "major breakthrough" in the desktop market. Since august Linux
    > is going down again!
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

    Interesting, US (42% hits) and 1st world countries interests in
    Linux are up.

    Oct-2008 - 3.8%
    Nov-2003 - 2.6%
    Net Gain - 1.2%

    Where is Flatfish's 0.6%?

    However, tallying all Windows in the chart:

    Oct-2008 - 90.7%
    Nov-2003 - 93.7%
    Net Loss - 3.0%

    Bummer, Windows.

    --
    HPT

  17. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Clogwog (Rick Mathers) wrote:
    >
    >> Ha, ha, of course your right, despite all efforts of linux
    >> advocates to make us believe that linux is on the edge of a
    >> "major breakthrough" in the desktop market. Since august Linux
    >> is going down again!
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

    > Interesting, US (42% hits) and 1st world countries interests in
    > Linux are up.
    >
    > Oct-2008 - 3.8%
    > Nov-2003 - 2.6%
    > Net Gain - 1.2%

    Only in your wildest DREAMS do 4 of 100 people run Linux.

    > Where is Flatfish's 0.6%?
    >
    > However, tallying all Windows in the chart:
    >
    > Oct-2008 - 90.7%
    > Nov-2003 - 93.7%
    > Net Loss - 3.0%
    >
    > Bummer, Windows.

    Where else do you go from 94% market share?

  18. Re: PISTA: 18 months, 180 million copies sold to micoshaft bum boyees!

    7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Clogwog
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > All the PISTA software were licensed not sold you *STUPID* ****!

    Indeed. How many of those so-called "buyers" ASKED for Vista after
    trying it? Shall we take a guess? Four. Just four. They're in here
    making money from it.

  19. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best sellingproduct ever!

    amicus_curious wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>> "Rex Ballard" wrote...

    >>> Well, Linux certainly needs to be protected and perhaps
    >>> put on some life support as well. Like the whooping crane
    >>> and Hawaiian crow, it would soon perish if left alone.

    >> No, rather it is the other way around:
    >>
    >> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/1...y-the-numbers/

    October 24, 2008, 5:29 pm
    >> Microsoft’s Vista Problem, by the Numbers
    >> By Steve Lohr
    >>
    >> Microsoft reported a reassuringly solid quarter in tough
    >> times on Thursday, but its Windows business looked weak.
    >>
    >> The big Windows unit reported a 2 percent rise in revenue
    >> and 4 percent decline in operating income. That is well
    >> below the norm for Microsoft’s lucrative personal operating
    >> system business [...]
    >>
    >> The Windows problem? It is not selling enough of its Windows
    >> Vista software, the operating system introduced in January
    >> 2007. [...]
    >>
    >> The netbook challenge to Microsoft is two-fold.
    >>
    >> First, if they run Windows, the machines run a slimmed-down
    >> version of Windows XP. Charles Di Bona of Sanford Bernstein
    >> estimates that Microsoft pockets $30 to $35 on a netbook. By
    >> contrast, he figures that the operating system license fee
    >> on a standard consumer PC, running Vista, is about $70.
    >>
    >> The second netbook issue for Microsoft is that many of those
    >> machines run the Linux operating system. (Mr. Di Bona’s
    >> Bernstein colleague, A.M. Sacconaghi, estimates netbooks
    >> accounted for that 4.5 to 5 percent of the 10 to 12 percent
    >> unit growth of PC sales in the September quarter.)
    >>
    >> Corporations, Mr. Di Bona said, have not upgraded to Vista
    >> as widely or as quickly as they have tended to with past
    >> Windows operating systems. Now, with the economy troubled
    >> and corporate technology budgets squeezed, Vista’s successor
    >> stands in the wings. Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will
    >> ship by late next year.
    >>
    >> In comparison to Vista, Linux through netbooks is doing very
    >> well.

    > Well you take the piddly amounts of revenue from the 20 to 30%
    > of netbook sales in exchange for the $12B of Vista sales and
    > smile. Keep telling yourself how you are winning the
    > struggle. It will keep you sane.
    >
    > "Blessed are the chumps,..."

    Rather sad conclusion that must end with an insult. This is an
    example of:

    [quote]
    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    This is a list of the disinformation tactics that the that
    the anti-Linux propagandists who post in COLA have been using.
    All of these tactics have been used in COLA by the anti-Linux
    propagandists against the Linux advocates and the rest of the
    COLA readership to further the cause of the anti-Linux
    propagandists. This list has been worded as though you are one of
    them, so that you can better see through their eyes how they
    think. [...]

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The
    liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents.
    Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    Insinuations regarding saneness is an example of:

    http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    Ad hominem troll

    Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
    rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

    The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
    about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
    being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
    troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
    discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
    indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
    emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
    self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
    most troll types.

    The simple ad hominem troll is easily detected and dealt with by
    calling them on their ad hominem attacks.

    However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with
    seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using
    rational tone, they may lull you into thinking that they are
    rational in general and thus their entire message should be
    considered rational. Once they have established such an
    impression, then they will then descend into personal attacks
    which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
    for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.

    Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous comment
    (which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's earlier
    statements), repeating himself (see the section below on
    Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy. Afterwards he
    continues with personal attacks, starting subtly worded, then
    increasingly harsh:

    * "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
    the parallels"
    * "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the
    proverbial bark."
    * "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and
    ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame."
    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Vista: 18 months, 180 million copies sold! - MS best selling product ever!

    > However, tallying all Windows in the chart:
    >
    > Oct-2008 - 90.7%
    > Nov-2003 - 93.7%
    > Net Loss - 3.0%

    Yet Windows client platform revenues have more than doubled in that period.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast