Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time - Linux

This is a discussion on Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time - Linux ; "...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's been stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change the the time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it ...

  1. Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    "...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's been
    stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change the the
    time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it will not display
    anything but 7:00pm on the desktop."

    "I have the same problem in 8.10 now. It updates every now and then, but
    it's rarely accurate."

    Linux: wtf?

  2. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:57:53 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's
    > been stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change
    > the the time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it will not
    > display anything but 7:00pm on the desktop."
    >
    > "I have the same problem in 8.10 now. It updates every now and then, but
    > it's rarely accurate."

    > Linux: wtf?

    Just goes to show that some folks can screw up anything. My systems all
    updated to standard time while running and are kept accurate with NTP.

  3. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:57:53 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's
    >> been stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change
    >> the the time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it will not
    >> display anything but 7:00pm on the desktop."
    >>
    >> "I have the same problem in 8.10 now. It updates every now and then, but
    >> it's rarely accurate."

    >> Linux: wtf?

    > Just goes to show that some folks can screw up anything. My systems all
    > updated to standard time while running and are kept accurate with NTP.

    Doesn't DooFuS have anything better to do?
    Maybe he should Google problems with MS ****ware and try to help those
    morons fix their ****ty problems, but without any idea how the software
    works and no access to the code.

    Good luck DooFuS!

  4. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Cork Soaker writes:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:57:53 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's
    >>> been stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change
    >>> the the time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it will not
    >>> display anything but 7:00pm on the desktop."
    >>>
    >>> "I have the same problem in 8.10 now. It updates every now and then, but
    >>> it's rarely accurate."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=864787
    >>>

    >>> Linux: wtf?

    >> Just goes to show that some folks can screw up anything. My systems
    >> all updated to standard time while running and are kept accurate
    >> with NTP.

    > Doesn't DooFuS have anything better to do?
    > Maybe he should Google problems with MS ****ware and try to help those
    > morons fix their ****ty problems, but without any idea how the
    > software works and no access to the code.
    >
    > Good luck DooFuS!

    And the last time you helped someone in the forums or found a bug in the
    C/C++ code was when?

    You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

  5. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    On 2008-11-07, Steve Townsend was urged to write the following:

    > You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    > runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    Which of course makes it superior too Windows specific software that
    only runs on one OS. We GNU/Linux users have this great advantage that
    we can keep using the software we are familiar with, even when we are
    forced to sit down at a Windows computer. Isn't that great :-)

    ~ Tommy
    --
    Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with
    the seat missing, but it hurts.

  6. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Steve Townsend wrote:

    >> Good luck DooFuS!

    You have a friend!

    > And the last time you helped someone in the forums or found a bug in the
    > C/C++ code was when?

    The day after you!

    > You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    > runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    Which completely ignores everything I said!

  7. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Cork Soaker writes:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Just goes to show that some folks can screw up anything. My systems
    >>> all updated to standard time while running and are kept accurate
    >>> with NTP.

    >> Doesn't DooFuS have anything better to do?
    >> Maybe he should Google problems with MS ****ware and try to help those
    >> morons fix their ****ty problems, but without any idea how the
    >> software works and no access to the code.
    >>
    >> Good luck DooFuS!

    > And the last time you helped someone in the forums or found a bug in the
    > C/C++ code was when?
    >
    > You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    > runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    I highly doubt that he realizes that. Since that is simply just bull****.
    *Some* of the OSS runs on windows too. But not /most/ of it
    --
    You're genuinely bogus.

  8. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >> You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >> runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    > I highly doubt that he realizes that. Since that is simply just bull****.
    > *Some* of the OSS runs on windows too. But not /most/ of it

    I didn't think it was worth mentioning as it was on a tangent from the
    original point anyway.

    Nobody thinks you can simply build windoze-ware using linux code, except
    him it would seem. But, as I said, it completely ignored what was being
    said!

  9. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>
    >> You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >> runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    > I highly doubt that he realizes that. Since that is simply just bull****.
    > *Some* of the OSS runs on windows too. But not /most/ of it

    You might be right, Peter. Here's a niche analysis, using the Search box at
    SourceForge.net. It's just one forum, but should be representative enough
    for ballpark estimates:

    Windows: 7308 results
    Linux: 8885 results
    BSD: 446 results
    Solaris: 243 results

    So Linux has the edge, 1500 /more/ projects. However, that might still be
    construed (especially by Miss Construer who posted before you) as "nearly
    ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also runs on Windows".

    So let's see how many projects refer to /both/ OS's.

    Linux+Windows: 505 results

    Oh dear! Only 505 source-forge projects out of 8885, or about 6%, also
    appear on Windows. And how of /those/ run only with Cygwin?

    Why, I do believe Hadron II is wrong! Can you /believe/ it? After all his
    careful research and posting of eviden.... oh my.

    Still, let's check freshmeat.net:

    Windows: 5871 results
    Linux: 11775 results
    Linux+Windows: 64 results

    Glorioski! Even worse! Ten times worse!

    Peter, I do believe Hadron II owes us an apology!

    Here, Hadron II, I will help you. Repeat after me:

    Es tut mir leid, Herr Köhlmann.

    --
    Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.

  10. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Hadron II quacked:

    >You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    Such a familiar ring to it...

    --
    "All good OSS apps work on Windows too." - "True Linux advocate"
    Hadron Quark

  11. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Cork Soaker writes:

    > Steve Townsend wrote:
    >
    >>> Good luck DooFuS!

    > You have a friend!
    >

    >> And the last time you helped someone in the forums or found a bug in the
    >> C/C++ code was when?

    > The day after you!
    >

    >> You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >> runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?
    >>

    > Which completely ignores everything I said!

    It doesn't at all. But I see you snipped the main body in order to try
    and make yourself appear in a better light. Relation to Chris?

  12. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >>> runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?

    >> I highly doubt that he realizes that. Since that is simply just bull****.
    >> *Some* of the OSS runs on windows too. But not /most/ of it

    > You might be right, Peter. Here's a niche analysis, using the Search box
    > at
    > SourceForge.net. It's just one forum, but should be representative enough
    > for ballpark estimates:

    Most of the OSS projects are for trash and you certainly know that. There
    are a number of Linux only projects that only serve to provide Windows
    compatibility features and would not in any case be applicable for Windows
    use. What you need to claim is that there is some popular and useful
    project that is Linux only. You have yet to show anything in that regard in
    spite of these meaningless searches.

  13. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    So your masters at microsoft pay you to go to various Linux
    help sites, find someone who has a proble, and post it in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy as if that has anything to do with how
    good linux is, and as if Windows users never have problems.

    That's like finding a sushi bar that serves you some bad fish
    and then concluding that all seafood is bad.

  14. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Steve Townsend wrote:
    > Cork Soaker writes:

    >> You have a friend!
    >>
    >>> And the last time you helped someone in the forums or found a bug in the
    >>> C/C++ code was when?

    >> The day after you!
    >>
    >>> You do realise that nearly ALL the Open Source SW you use on Linux also
    >>> runs on Windows WITH the source code available too don't you?
    >>>

    >> Which completely ignores everything I said!

    > It doesn't at all. But I see you snipped the main body in order to try
    > and make yourself appear in a better light. Relation to Chris?

    I snipped your bull****, which is where, "Which completely ignores
    everything I said!" comes from, because, you ignored everything and
    posted your braindead bull****.
    Can you keep up with this simple logic?

    In conclusion, you are an idiot. It would seem everyone agrees.

  15. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    On 2008-11-07, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> I highly doubt that he realizes that. Since that is simply just bull****.
    >>> *Some* of the OSS runs on windows too. But not /most/ of it

    >> You might be right, Peter. Here's a niche analysis, using the Search box
    >> at
    >> SourceForge.net. It's just one forum, but should be representative enough
    >> for ballpark estimates:
    >>

    > Most of the OSS projects are for trash and you certainly know that. There

    You can say the same about most Windows "projects".

    Perusing the available video tools is a very good way to get in
    touch with this fact. The fact that something is coded for Windows
    doesn't automatically mean that it will be good, or well designed or
    able to finish it's intended task without crashing.

    [deletia]

    Windows is not magically immune to Sturgeons law.

    --
    "Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
    the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

    -- Bill Gates

  16. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:57:53 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >"...i noticed today that the clock is frozen and will not change. It's been
    >stuck at 7:00pm for as long as i've noticed, when i go to change the the
    >time and date manually, it's correct in there, but it will not display
    >anything but 7:00pm on the desktop."

    Only an idiot like you could be unable to handle a clock.

  17. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-11-07, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You might be right, Peter. Here's a niche analysis, using the Search box
    >>> at
    >>> SourceForge.net. It's just one forum, but should be representative enough
    >>> for ballpark estimates:
    >>>

    >> Most of the OSS projects are for trash and you certainly know that. There

    > You can say the same about most Windows "projects".
    >
    > Perusing the available video tools is a very good way to get in
    > touch with this fact. The fact that something is coded for Windows
    > doesn't automatically mean that it will be good, or well designed or
    > able to finish it's intended task without crashing.

    That is of course true since a lot of OSS has no proper QA process in
    place and people release the free "Free" SW willy nilly knowing the
    users will QA it eventually.

    > [deletia]
    >
    > Windows is not magically immune to Sturgeons law.

    No one suggested it was. SW is SW and second rate SW is second rate
    SW. But to be a commercial success one can not generally afford to
    produce second rate SW.

  18. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-07, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message

    >>> Most of the OSS projects are for trash and you certainly know that.
    >>> There

    >> You can say the same about most Windows "projects".
    >>
    >> Perusing the available video tools is a very good way to get in
    >> touch with this fact. The fact that something is coded for Windows
    >> doesn't automatically mean that it will be good, or well designed or
    >> able to finish it's intended task without crashing.

    > That is of course true since a lot of OSS has no proper QA process in
    > place and people release the free "Free" SW willy nilly knowing the
    > users will QA it eventually.
    >

    >> [deletia]
    >>
    >> Windows is not magically immune to Sturgeons law.

    > No one suggested it was. SW is SW and second rate SW is second rate
    > SW. But to be a commercial success one can not generally afford to
    > produce second rate SW.

    Seems you're wrong again, "true linux advocate" and "kernel hacker" Hadron
    Quark.
    MS has had commercial success enough with alpha-quality software.

    They should call themselves "banana-soft", because their products ripen at
    the customer site
    --
    Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

  19. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-07, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> You might be right, Peter. Here's a niche analysis, using the Search box
    >>> at
    >>> SourceForge.net. It's just one forum, but should be representative enough
    >>> for ballpark estimates:
    >>>

    >> Most of the OSS projects are for trash and you certainly know that. There

    Poor amicus_so_spurious. He has trouble staying on topic.

    I'm simply answering the claims that "almost all" open-source projects on
    Linux also exist in Windows.

    He has to move the goal-posts with some mythical set of "good projects" or
    "popular projects" that are the only ones that should be counted. Poor
    fool.

    Should we discount a "good" project such as valgrind (great, actually, if
    you're a programmer) just because it is not popular with the Desktop
    'Dozer population? How about all of the nice window managers that have not
    been ported to Windows?

    > You can say the same about most Windows "projects".

    Indeed. You have to wonder how amicus_spurious overlooks the wide wide
    world of Windows "shareware", that sweet hinterland where all you find are
    "good" and "popular" projects. Heh heh.

    > Perusing the available video tools is a very good way to get in
    > touch with this fact. The fact that something is coded for Windows
    > doesn't automatically mean that it will be good, or well designed or
    > able to finish it's intended task without crashing.
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > Windows is not magically immune to Sturgeons law.

    You are undoubtedly reminding amicus that he needs to lay in a supply of
    caviar to savor as he uses his computer to search for honest posters to
    counter.

    --
    [From the operation manual for the CI-300 Dot Matrix Line Printer, made
    in Japan]:

    The excellent output machine of MODEL CI-300 as extraordinary DOT MATRIX
    LINE PRINTER, built in two MICRO-PROCESSORs as well as EAROM, is featured by
    permitting wonderful co-existence such as; "high quality against low cost,"
    "diversified functions with compact design," "flexibility in accessibleness
    and durability of approx. 2000,000,00 Dot/Head," "being sophisticated in
    mechanism but possibly agile operating under noises being extremely
    suppressed" etc.

    And as a matter of course, the final goal is just simply to help achieve
    "super shuttle diplomacy" between cool data, perhaps earned by HOST
    COMPUTER, and warm heart of human being.

  20. Re: Adventures In Crapware: it can't keep time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> No one suggested it was. SW is SW and second rate SW is second rate
    >> SW. But to be a commercial success one can not generally afford to
    >> produce second rate SW.

    > Seems you're wrong again, "true linux advocate" and "kernel hacker" Hadron
    > Quark.
    > MS has had commercial success enough with alpha-quality software.
    >
    > They should call themselves "banana-soft", because their products ripen at
    > the customer site

    Well, as Gates said, "Intellectual property has the shelf-life of a banana."

    He ought to know, having appropriated plenty of it during his career.

    --
    Potahto' Pictures Productions Presents:
    SPUD ROGERS OF THE 25TH CENTURY: Story of an Air Force potato that's

+ Reply to Thread