[News] Happiness with Ubuntu 8.10 - Linux

  1. [News] Happiness with Ubuntu 8.10

    Intrepid Ibex lays claim to the Black Tower

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After about a week of heavy use, I find I’m liking Ubuntu 8.10 — with its
    | GNOME 2.24 desktop environment and X.Org 7.4 X Window System — more and more
    | with each passing day.
    |
    | At this point I can safely say Ubuntu 8.10 is the best-performing Linux
    | distribution I’ve ever used — from the perspective of functionality,
    | usability, and aesthetics. And, much to my surprise, I’m really liking GNOME!
    `----

    http://www.deviceguru.com/intrepid-i...e-black-tower/

    Recent:

    Ubuntu 8.10 - All Hail new Network Manager

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical, the developers behind Ubuntu Linux have release Intrepid Ibex, the
    | successor to last spring's Hardy Heron release. Ibex isn't a long-term
    | support release - which might put off some large organizations - but for
    | Ubuntu desktop fans, version 8.10 makes a worthwhile upgrade.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The slew of upgraded apps and packages always makes new releases tempting,
    | but for us it was NetworkManager and GNOME's tabbed browser windows that
    | sealed the deal.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...ot_one_review/

    Ubuntu : Media reviews of Ubuntu 8.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So far reviews from Heise Online- and screenshot collections from
    | builder.au - and more reviews from webmonkey, Linuxformat, CRN.com,
    | Polishlinux, Lifehacker, ITWire, LinuxJournal TheRegister and WorksWithU
    `----

    http://ubuntu-news.net/modules/news/...p?storyid=5405

    Ubuntu : What the bloggers think of Ubuntu 8.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I gave up getting all the bloggers commenting and reviewing Ubuntu, so here's
    | different opinions from quite a lot of them of them....I stopped counting how
    | many I have in this list...[updated daily]
    `----

    http://ubuntu-news.net/modules/news/...p?storyid=5404

    Ubuntu 8.10 Shows Linux OS Is Now Mature, Preludes Mobile Platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical released Ubuntu 8.10 (or Intrepid Ibex to stick to its project
    | codename) and it is not hard to see that the leading Linux distribution is
    | now evolving into a fully fledged contender to MacOSX and Windows Vista.
    |
    | The new version of the OS - build using v2.6.27 of the Linux Kernel and Gnome
    | 2.24 - can be freely downloaded from dozens of file servers worldwide and is
    | a major milestone both for the client and desktop versions.
    `----

    http://security.itproportal.com/arti...bile-platform/

    Ubuntu Linux 8.10’s five best features

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve been running Ubuntu 8.10, aka “Intrepid Ibex,” on a Gateway GT5622. This
    | PC uses a 1.80GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2160 processor. It has 3GB of RAM,
    | a 400GB SATA II hard drive and a DVD R/W drive. For graphics, it uses the
    | Intel GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator) 950, which was set to pull 224MB of
    | RAM from main memory to use as shared video memory.
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubunt..._best_features

    Canonical's Ubuntu 8.10 server enhances virtualization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week, London-based Canonical Ltd. will launch Ubuntu 8.10 -- aka
    | Intrepid Ibex -- server and desktop editions, with server improvements in
    | virtualization, security, management and the Java development stack.
    | Beginning Thursday, Oct. 30., the new edition can be downloaded from the
    | Ubuntu website .
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...ml?track=sy184

  2. Re: [News] Happiness with Ubuntu 8.10

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Intrepid Ibex lays claim to the Black Tower

    Users of legacy nVidia cards, however, should carefully read the 8.10
    release notes:

    The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by the
    nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, are not
    compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the nVidia
    TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets
    are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver
    instead. This driver does not support 3D acceleration.

    Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177 driver
    series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-glx-177 package
    instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers 173 and 177 are only
    compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g. Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon
    XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs will also be transitioned to the nv
    driver on upgrade.

    Fortunately Debian Lenny now has the series 96 legacy driver in the
    repository, so installation of this is now a breeze, and 3D acceleration is
    easy to set up.