[News] Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales - Linux ; "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message news:49156bfa$0$17069$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org... > amicus_curious wrote: >> High Plains Thumper wrote: >>> amicus_curious wrote: >>>> Rex Ballard wrote: >>>> >> That comment seems to show a lack of understanding on your >> part. I wasn't at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>>

    >> That comment seems to show a lack of understanding on your
    >> part. I wasn't at all attacking the ideas posted by Ballard.
    >> They are transparently false by his own cite. I was attacking
    >> Ballards disrespect for the rest of us who he presumably tried
    >> to fool with his clumsy citations.

    > Rather sad that this troll must resort to continued personal attacks,
    > "lack of understand on your part" rather than participate in the
    > discussion, and it admits attacking Mr. Ballard, calling his statements a
    > disrespect, clumsy. This is attacking the poster rather than addressing
    > the poster's statements.

    What is actually sad is that *you* are the one who resorted to personal ad
    hominem attacks when the poster CORRECTLY pointed out that Rex deliberately
    misrepresented the facts from the article.

    Rather than admit the facts *you* resort to attacking someone simply on the
    basis that they pointed out a lie.

    > Its reply to my message and insinuation of naiveness is a continued
    > example of an ad hominem attack, a rather sad failed attempt at trolling.

    The only sad failure here is you and your lack of decency.

  2. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote:
    >
    >> Rather sad that this troll must resort to continued personal
    >> attacks, "lack of understand on your part" rather than
    >> participate in the discussion, and it admits attacking Mr.
    >> Ballard, calling his statements a disrespect, clumsy. This
    >> is attacking the poster rather than addressing the poster's
    >> statements.

    > What is actually sad is that *you* are the one who resorted to
    > personal ad hominem attacks when the poster CORRECTLY pointed
    > out that Rex deliberately misrepresented the facts from the
    > article.

    This is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    23. Lie. Lie, lie, lie, lie. If you do it often enough you
    may create the appearance of truth.

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as
    face value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's
    statements as being true. Accept their interpretations without
    question, don't bother verifying their statements. If they claim
    something against a Linux advocate always side with the
    anti-Linux propagandists.

    > Rather than admit the facts *you* resort to attacking someone
    > simply on the basis that they pointed out a lie.
    >
    >> Its reply to my message and insinuation of naiveness is a
    >> continued example of an ad hominem attack, a rather sad
    >> failed attempt at trolling.

    > The only sad failure here is you and your lack of decency.

    [2.] Distract your opponent from the issues at hand by
    accusing your opponents of being "petty", "pathetic", "childish"
    or any of a number of other such terms.
    --
    HPT

  3. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:43:00 -0700, High Plains Thumper it was written:
    >
    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    > Actually it's an example of you being a moron. Notice the complete lack
    > of support you're getting from the other "advocates" on this one.

    You can't extrapolate much from a lack of response. It could simply mean
    most people don't care enough about it, or think its an issue solely between
    two posters.

    > And it is *YOU* is engaging in "distracting from the issues by accusing
    > opponents." The issue is that Rex lied in his post and misrepresented the
    > article. This is not an opinion. It is a FACT.

    Is it?

    (I don't know, and can't be arsed to follow up on it and see which one of
    you lunkheads is "right".)

    > Instead of addressing the issue that Rex lied it is *you* who attacks the
    > poster for pointing out the lie. And now you're trolling me with you
    > childish "FAQ" that isn't worth the toilet-paper it's written on.

    Hey! FAQs is FAQs!

    --
    A rolling stone gathers no moss.
    -- Publilius Syrus

  4. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper it was written:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:

    >>> What is actually sad is that *you* are the one who
    >>> resorted to personal ad hominem attacks when the poster
    >>> CORRECTLY pointed out that Rex deliberately misrepresented
    >>> the facts from the article.

    >> This is an example of:
    >>
    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    >> 23. Lie. Lie, lie, lie, lie. If you do it often enough you
    >> may create the appearance of truth.
    >>
    >> 46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as
    >> face value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's
    >> statements as being true. Accept their interpretations
    >> without question, don't bother verifying their statements.
    >> If they claim something against a Linux advocate always side
    >> with the anti-Linux propagandists.

    > Actually it's an example of you being a moron. Notice the
    > complete lack of support you're getting from the other
    > "advocates" on this one.
    >
    >>> Rather than admit the facts *you* resort to attacking
    >>> someone simply on the basis that they pointed out a lie.

    >>> The only sad failure here is you and your lack of decency.

    [2.] Distract your opponent from the issues at hand
    >> by accusing your opponents of being "petty", "pathetic",
    >> "childish" or any of a number of other such terms.

    > And it is *YOU* is engaging in "distracting from the issues by
    > accusing opponents." The issue is that Rex lied in his post
    > and misrepresented the article. This is not an opinion. It is
    > a FACT.
    >
    > Instead of addressing the issue that Rex lied it is *you* who
    > attacks the poster for pointing out the lie. And now you're
    > trolling me with you childish "FAQ" that isn't worth the
    > toilet-paper it's written on.

    That FAQ that your refer to is the official FAQ. Newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy is one of the Big-8 newsgroups. This FAQ
    was officially approved by the community and posted at the FAQ
    website:

    It is also available at multiple websites world wide:

    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hie...x/advocacy/%5B...
    or http://tinyurl.com/4obfht
    ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hie...inux/advocacy/
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hie...inux.advocacy/
    http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/linux/ad...nd-primer.html
    http://www.opennet.ru/docs/FAQ/OS/Li...nd-primer.html
    http://static.slated.org/cola-faq.html

    If you have no respect for the FAQ and the charter for which it
    is based, then recommend you find a newsgroup that permits your
    style of anti-Linux agenda postings.

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    amicus_curious wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> amicus_curious wrote:

    Ad hominem troll

    >>> That comment seems to show a lack of understanding on your
    >>> part. I wasn't at all attacking the ideas posted by
    >>> Ballard. They are transparently false by his own cite. I
    >>> was attacking Ballards disrespect for the rest of us who
    >>> he presumably tried to fool with his clumsy citations.

    >> Rather sad that this troll must resort to continued personal
    >> attacks, "lack of understand on your part" rather than
    >> participate in the discussion, and it admits attacking Mr.
    >> Ballard, calling his statements a disrespect, clumsy. This
    >> is attacking the poster rather than addressing the poster's
    >> statements.
    >>
    >> Its reply to my message and insinuation of naiveness is a
    >> continued example of an ad hominem attack, a rather sad
    >> failed attempt at trolling.

    >> Rather sad that this troll must resort to continued personal
    >> attacks, "lack of understand on your part" rather than
    >> participate in the discussion, and it admits attacking Mr.
    >> Ballard, calling his statements a disrespect, clumsy. This
    >> is attacking the poster rather than addressing the poster's
    >> statements.

    > Let's see here: Calling the statement clumsy is not an attack
    > on the statement. Hmmm. You seem to have trouble with ideas.
    > And yes, my original post was directed at Ballard, but it was
    > to illustrate his continued disrespect for us all due to his
    > continued misstatements of facts contained in his own cites.
    > An adhominem attack would be using that to discredit the idea
    > itself.
    >
    >> Its reply to my message and insinuation of naiveness is a
    >> continued example of an ad hominem attack, a rather sad
    >> failed attempt at trolling.

    > I don't think I insinuated naivete on your part, rather
    > ignorance and/or stupidity was the intended insinuation.

    Ah, the ad hominem statements continue, the accusations of
    ignorance and stupidity, "having trouble with ideas", the troll's
    unwillingness to present factual information to counter Mr.
    Ballard's statements, a far cry from "My goal in teaching is to
    assist in the development of responsible thinking and soon-to-be
    successful people. I try to provide a challenging and motivating
    classroom environment."

    Here is what will motivate a classroom environment:

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
    operating systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the
    newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss
    Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the
    promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place
    for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to
    learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
    place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to
    discredit Linux.
    --
    HPT

  6. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:03:42 +0000, Ezekiel wrote:

    > And it is *YOU* is engaging in "distracting from the issues by accusing
    > opponents." The issue is that Rex lied in his post and misrepresented
    > the article. This is not an opinion. It is a FACT.

    There, there diddums, need a tissue to cry on ?

    Rex is a Linux advocate, has been for years. When he or any Linux
    advocate gets something wrong we don't care, some Linux advocate will
    correct us and we get on with our advocacy.

    It's an addendum, not the Spanish Inquisition.

    No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard.

    Cola isn't a courtroom, and the advocates are not on the stand.

    And you most definitely are not the Judge or Jury.

    Here is a little clue regarding my attitude to your rant.

    !!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH !!!!!

    > Instead of addressing the issue that Rex lied it is *you* who attacks
    > the poster for pointing out the lie. And now you're trolling me with you
    > childish "FAQ" that isn't worth the toilet-paper it's written on.

    Get a life Wintroll .....

  7. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:30:51 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:03:42 +0000, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> And it is *YOU* is engaging in "distracting from the issues by accusing
    >> opponents." The issue is that Rex lied in his post and misrepresented
    >> the article. This is not an opinion. It is a FACT.

    > There, there diddums, need a tissue to cry on ?
    >
    > Rex is a Linux advocate, has been for years. When he or any Linux
    > advocate gets something wrong we don't care, some Linux advocate will
    > correct us and we get on with our advocacy.

    Nice of you to admit that you have no interest in the truth. You're like
    Fox News, Terry. I know you're in AU, so you may not know that reference,
    but let's just say facts are meaningless to them as well.

    > It's an addendum, not the Spanish Inquisition.

    If only.

    > No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard.

    If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's consistent
    misrepresentation of the truth, evidenced by the fact that you and Rex and
    Roy continue to repeat the same lies even after corrected, even by your own
    camp.

    > Cola isn't a courtroom, and the advocates are not on the stand.

    In fact, Advocates should be held to a higher standard than anyone else.
    You get up on the soapbox, and you have a duty to disseminate truthful
    information.

    > And you most definitely are not the Judge or Jury.

    Everyone that is within earshot of you is. Maybe you aren't aware of this,
    but when you commuicate with others, they have the right to judge what you
    say to them. I know that may be shocking to you, given your arrogant
    attitude.

  8. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:30:51 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    < snip >

    >> No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard.

    > If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's consistent
    > misrepresentation of the truth

    < snip >

    *You* are the last person on earth to talk like that, Erik Funkenbusch.
    Few people have lied as much as you did, misrepresenting the truth and
    consistently failed to admit that you were wrong. There are still dozens of
    claims you ran away from when you were asked time and again to correct your
    claims.

    Nope, Erik Funkenbusch, you are as bad as Snot Michael Glasser or Hadron
    Quark in your lying and not admitting errors
    --
    Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

  9. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Terry Porter had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 09-11-08 09:30:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:03:42 +0000, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> And it is *YOU* is engaging in "distracting from the issues by accusing
    >> opponents." The issue is that Rex lied in his post and misrepresented
    >> the article. This is not an opinion. It is a FACT.

    > There, there diddums, need a tissue to cry on ?
    >
    > Rex is a Linux advocate, has been for years. When he or any Linux
    > advocate gets something wrong we don't care, some Linux advocate will
    > correct us and we get on with our advocacy.
    >
    > It's an addendum, not the Spanish Inquisition.
    >
    > No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard.
    >
    > Cola isn't a courtroom, and the advocates are not on the stand.
    >
    > And you most definitely are not the Judge or Jury.
    >
    > Here is a little clue regarding my attitude to your rant.
    >
    > !!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH !!!!!
    >
    >> Instead of addressing the issue that Rex lied it is *you* who attacks
    >> the poster for pointing out the lie. And now you're trolling me with you
    >> childish "FAQ" that isn't worth the toilet-paper it's written on.

    > Get a life Wintroll .....

    for us humans, it is difficult sometimes to always remember that trolls
    are trolls, another species, and not altogether human. We must live with
    this. Happily, we can.

    Erik Jan

  10. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Nov 9, 5:08*am, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:30:51 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > < snip >
    >
    > >> No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard..

    > > If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's consistent
    > > misrepresentation of the truth

    > < snip >
    >
    > *You* are the last person on earth to talk like that, Erik Funkenbusch.
    > Few people have lied as much as you did, misrepresenting the truth and
    > consistently failed to admit that you were wrong. There are still dozens of
    > claims you ran away from when you were asked time and again to correct your
    > claims.
    >
    > Nope, Erik Funkenbusch, you are as bad as Snot Michael Glasser or Hadron
    > Quark in your lying and not admitting errors

    How exactly would you know Petey Kohlmann? You are the one who said
    you would NEVER follow links to evidence. You not only run away from
    arguments, you killfile the poster who proved you wrong. Your
    ignorance is astounding.

  11. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:08:37 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:30:51 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>

    > < snip >
    >
    >>> No biggie, everyone makes mistakes, to err is human you may have heard.

    >> If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's consistent
    >> misrepresentation of the truth

    > < snip >
    >
    > *You* are the last person on earth to talk like that, Erik Funkenbusch.
    > Few people have lied as much as you did, misrepresenting the truth and
    > consistently failed to admit that you were wrong.

    Yet the only things people can point to are a handful of YEARS old
    comments. Odd that.

    > There are still dozens of
    > claims you ran away from when you were asked time and again to correct your
    > claims.

    And I enjoy watching people fall all over to hijack threads to keep harping
    on them. It amuses me greatly to watch people destroy their own newsgroup
    by turning every thread into comments about the same old crap.

  12. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:08:37 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 02:30:51 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>>

    >> < snip >

    >>> If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's
    >>> consistent misrepresentation of the truth

    >> < snip >
    >>
    >> *You* are the last person on earth to talk like that, Erik Funkenbusch.
    >> Few people have lied as much as you did, misrepresenting the truth and
    >> consistently failed to admit that you were wrong.

    > Yet the only things people can point to are a handful of YEARS old
    > comments. Odd that.

    Fine. And you still run away from them. Odd that

    >> There are still dozens of
    >> claims you ran away from when you were asked time and again to correct
    >> your claims.

    > And I enjoy watching people fall all over to hijack threads to keep
    > harping
    > on them. It amuses me greatly to watch people destroy their own newsgroup
    > by turning every thread into comments about the same old crap.

    Irrelevant to the fact that *you* are the last person on earth to talk about
    others errors or alleged "consistent misrepresentation of the truth".

    You are the one in this group with the least leg to stand on in these
    matters, Erik Funkenbusch. You should be ashamed of your dishonesty instead
    --
    Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

  13. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    > 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >
    > The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
    >
    > For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    > systems.

    What part of "compared to other operating systems" do you not understand?
    We constantly show where the technical and commercial aspects of Windows are
    far, far superior to those of Linux, regardless of what distribution you are
    considering. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and so far next to
    no one is willing to eat any Linux pudding on the desktop. How can you
    ignore such an obvious fact? Are you that dense? Are you that much of a
    complete clod? Protest all you want about name-calling, but a rose is a
    rose..., so to speak, and a dunce is a dunce.

  14. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > It amuses me greatly to watch people destroy their own newsgroup
    > by turning every thread into comments about the same old crap.

    You ought to be happy. You help cause it.

    --
    The man who sees, on New Year's day, Mount Fuji, a hawk, and an eggplant
    is forever blessed.

  15. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 12:35:42 +0100, Erik Jan wrote:

    > for us humans, it is difficult sometimes to always remember that trolls
    > are trolls, another species, and not altogether human. We must live with
    > this. Happily, we can.
    >
    > Erik Jan

    Well said Erik Jan!

    Wintrolls don't deserve a reply until they start being honest, and as
    that's never going to happen ...

    All Erik Funkentroll and the other trolls want, apart from FUDDing COLA
    and disrupting the newsgroup, is to tie Linux Advocates up in long
    dialogue that's moved off the topic and degenerates into insults.

    It's a bit like wounding an enemy soldier instead of killing him, it ties
    up more resources.

    We can't be posting nice happy Linux success stories while we are arguing
    with the trolls can we ?

  16. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 12:35:42 +0100, Erik Jan wrote:
    >

    >> for us humans, it is difficult sometimes to always remember that trolls
    >> are trolls, another species, and not altogether human. We must live with
    >> this. Happily, we can.
    >>
    >> Erik Jan

    > Well said Erik Jan!
    >
    > Wintrolls don't deserve a reply until they start being honest, and as
    > that's never going to happen ...
    >
    > All Erik Funkentroll and the other trolls want, apart from FUDDing COLA
    > and disrupting the newsgroup, is to tie Linux Advocates up in long
    > dialogue that's moved off the topic and degenerates into insults.
    >
    > It's a bit like wounding an enemy soldier instead of killing him, it ties
    > up more resources.
    >
    > We can't be posting nice happy Linux success stories while we are arguing
    > with the trolls can we ?

    Consider our posting to be like a prayer wheel:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheel

    A prayer wheel is a cylindrical 'wheel' (Tibetan: 'khor) on a spindle
    made from metal, wood, stone, leather, or even coarse cotton. . . .
    According to the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, spinning such a wheel will
    have much the same meritorious effect as orally reciting the prayers.

    Since we're all using GNU/Linux as a medium for our posting, each and every
    word written by the Linux users in this forum is de facto Linux advocacy.

    Om Mani Padme Hum
    You don't like Linux? Then you're dumb!

    And let us give a little nod to the highly-motivated, caustic twits:

    --
    "Every group has a couple of experts. And every group has at least one idiot.
    Thus are balance and harmony (and discord) maintained. It's sometimes hard

  17. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >If it were only errors, it would easily be overlooked, but it's consistent
    >misrepresentation of the truth,

    There goes my irony meter again...

    (..../)

  18. Re: Microsoft Missing Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:22:22 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in
    > message news:4915d09c$0$17070$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org...
    >
    >> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>
    >> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
    >>
    >> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    >> systems.
    >>

    > What part of "compared to other operating systems" do you not
    > understand? We constantly show where the technical and commercial
    > aspects of Windows are far, far

    better spun ....

    indeed listen to. Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
    Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2