I'm using centos 5.2 with HDD as sata2.
Sata2 doesn't set setting of dma.
Board name I've got is gigabyte s-series(ga-ep45-ds3r).
The reason to drive me crazy is to make hdd very slow while coping
file.
I've tried to put the command below.

hdparam -t /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
Timing buffered disk reads: 10 MB in 3.81 seconds = 2.63 MB/sec

Speed of that is such sucks.

After googling, I found the link below.

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...topic_id=16149

As above link, I've read this...

Em Quarta 31 Maio 2006 15:59, Mikkel L. Ellertson escreveu:[=blue]
> Hdparm can NOT control DMA setting for SATA drives. What I have done
> is to add "hdc=noprobe" to the Grub boot line for the kernel. hdc is
> then treated as a SCSI device, and it uses the BIOS DMA settings.
> Hdparm will still say that DMA is not turned on for the drive, but
> DMA will be used. (It also says that DMA is off for /dev/sda.)

So I've set the configuration at grup.conf like below.

#boot=/dev/hdc
default=0
timeout=5