The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux - Linux ; On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:58:08 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote: > Terry Porter writes: > >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:05:12 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote: >> >>> AZ Nomad writes: >>> >>>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 02:33:56 -0600, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go toLinux

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:58:08 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Terry Porter writes:

    >>> That is a complete fabrication. Do you have any proof? My company used
    >>> dual boot for years and that never ever happened.
    >>>

    >> That is a complete fabrication. Do you have any proof? In my experience
    >> Windows OSes are the classic data corrupter.

    > You have no experience.

    Uhuh, right. Sure.

    Clear off Wintroll.

  2. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:28:36 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom espoused:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> So what defining moment marked the last time I used Windows ?
    >>>
    >>> It was a new motherboard, and the date was August 1997.
    >>>

    >>> I sold my Windows 95 CD for $50 as the BSAA were having a Blitzkreig and
    >>> business everywhere were trying to buy up legit licensed Windows CDs like
    >>> mine.

    >> I keep all my CDs. Never know when you might need them, even the old hoary
    >> Win 98 (decade!) CD.
    >>

    > I've got a floppy-set for WFW3.11 somewhere - wonder if it's worth
    > anything? :-)

    Heh heh, "Me too", & a floppy set of Dos 6.22.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  3. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    William Poaster wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:28:36 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom espoused:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> I keep all my CDs. Never know when you might need them, even the old
    >>> hoary Win 98 (decade!) CD.
    >>>

    >> I've got a floppy-set for WFW3.11 somewhere - wonder if it's worth
    >> anything? :-)

    > Heh heh, "Me too", & a floppy set of Dos 6.22.

    Windows 386. Was before Win3.0
    --
    Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

  4. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

    > What was your defining moment for switching to Linux ?

    Well I used *nix long before I'd even heard of Windows. In fact I
    managed to go through my entire education at primary (junior) school;
    secondary (senior) school and University before businesses; governments
    or educational institutions (or anyone else) had ever even heard of
    Windows either. Even my eventual introduction to Windows was only
    because of the untimely demise of my Amiga (later resurrected), and was
    little more than a stopgap measure. Most people under the age of 40
    probably think in terms of Windows, first and foremost, whenever they
    think of computers, and consider *nix to be the "different" approach.
    For me, it's the complete opposite.

    Since then, there have been many "defining" moments that made me want to
    never use Windows again (I wouldn't call it "switching" though, since
    AFAIAC I never really switched /to/ Windows in the first place). At home
    I was a Speccy user, and Amigan, and then a Linux user (and subsequently
    a contributor of various sorts). The brief interlude, and my occasion
    re-acquaintance, with Windows, has always been a matter of following
    other people's expectations. E.g. my first Intel-compatible machine came
    preinstalled with Windows - without option; my current laptop came
    pre-installed with Windows - without option; hardware vendors only seem
    to provide BIOS and other firmware flashing tools for Windows, etc. My
    main beef with having Windows preinstalled, apart from the fact that
    it's crap and I don't want it - but I have to pay for it without option,
    is the fact that part of the money I paid for these machines goes to
    benefit gangsters, i.e. Microsoft. I'd really; really like to avoid
    that, if at all possible.

    If there was any moment that first opened my eyes to how reprehensible
    Microsoft and their "partners" really are, I suppose it might be this:

    Nvidia Macrovision DVD-TV rules forced on consumers

    DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA 41.09 and onwards include "stringent checks" to
    comply with Macrovision requirements, the company has said.

    That could mean if you have a TV encoder that does not support
    Macrovision, you may well get an error message depending on what DVD
    software player you are using, the company has said.

    In a note to the latest drivers, Nvidia says: "The BT868 and Conexant
    CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is
    equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD
    playback with our 41.09 drivers and above."

    But that has caused some consumers to react in alarm. One INQUIRER
    reader claimed that meant users of equipment that doesn't conform to
    these Macrovision standards are stuck with drivers beyond the 40.72 level.

    He said: "Their [Nvidia] drivers automatically lock all DVD playback,
    not just TV out, when a non-Macrovision approved tv encoder chip is
    detected, meaning those that have video cards that contain BT868 and
    Conexant CX25870 TV encoders".
    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...d-on-consumers

    At the time, I had a TnT2/Ultra card with a BT868 chip, and found myself
    completely unable to play DVDs any more. Even rolling back to the old
    driver didn't help, for some reason, since I'd also updated WMP which
    had apparently altered the system state in some mysterious; clandestine
    fashion to permanently forbid DVD playback, regardless of the driver
    version. IIRC that particular version of WMP could (famously) "not be
    uninstalled" either, so I was basically stuffed (or is that "stiffed"?).

    I contacted the retailer (PC World); the OEM (Creative Labs); nVidia and
    Microsoft to ask them what I should do, and their unanimous response was
    "buy a new graphics card". I suggested that one of these companies
    should buy it for me, since it was their error, and their sledgehammer
    "solution" to that error, which had caused me this inconvenience in the
    first place. Essentially I was being punished (both financially and in
    terms of inconvenience) for /their/ mistake.

    I never received a second reply.

    In retrospect, I should have pursued the case under The Sale of Goods
    Act, since these goods were no longer fit for purpose (the card was
    advertised as being able to play DVD video content), but I didn't
    bother. Instead I just rebooted into Linux (which naturally had no
    difficulties playing DVDs), and forgot about the Windows partition ...
    for a year or so. When I did eventually reboot into Windows, I had to do
    a Wipe'N'Reinstall® to play DVDs again, and avoid updating both the
    graphics driver and Windows Media Player. It was at that point I became
    completely distrustful of Microsoft and other proprietary software
    vendors, and decided to just completely disable the Windows Update
    Service (not through the control panel, but through the services MMC)
    and the so-called "Intelligent Background Transfer Service", since it
    has been subsequently proved that Microsoft can re-enable Windows Update
    remotely, then install updates by stealth, unless those measures are taken:

    http://slated.org/windows_by_stealth..._you_dont_want

    So I guess you could say that my "defining moment" was when I first
    realised Microsoft, and the entire industry supporting them, were a
    bunch of gangsters, with the Vole acting as a kind of Godfather to the
    "PC Cosa Nostra". There have been many such moments, but the one above
    is the earliest one I have a clear recollection of.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:00:03 up 4 days, 10:42, 4 users, load average: 3.92, 3.98, 3.95

  5. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:28:36 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    >>> I've got a floppy-set for WFW3.11 somewhere - wonder if it's
    >>> worth anything? :-)

    >> Heh heh, "Me too", & a floppy set of Dos 6.22.

    > Windows 386. Was before Win3.0

    I have DOS 5.0 install disks (somewhere in the attic IIRC) that came
    with an Amiga bridgeboard (GVP PC286). I've Never used it though.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:54:08 up 4 days, 11:37, 4 users, load average: 3.97, 4.11, 4.06

  6. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    Homer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Khlmann spake thusly:
    >> William Poaster wrote:

    >>> Heh heh, "Me too", & a floppy set of Dos 6.22.

    >> Windows 386. Was before Win3.0

    >I have DOS 5.0 install disks (somewhere in the attic IIRC) that came
    >with an Amiga bridgeboard (GVP PC286). I've Never used it though.

    Aww.... I've only got back to DOS 6.0, which we still use a lot, for
    testing product, believe it or not.

  7. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    Homer espoused:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    >> William Poaster wrote:

    >>> Heh heh, "Me too", & a floppy set of Dos 6.22.

    >> Windows 386. Was before Win3.0

    > I have DOS 5.0 install disks (somewhere in the attic IIRC) that came
    > with an Amiga bridgeboard (GVP PC286). I've Never used it though.

    Do you suppose that you could get a refund?

  8. Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    > Homer espoused:

    >> I have DOS 5.0 install disks (somewhere in the attic IIRC) that
    >> came with an Amiga bridgeboard (GVP PC286). I've Never used it
    >> though.

    > Do you suppose that you could get a refund?

    Doubtful. No1 - they're well over ten years old; No2 - they were bought
    second-hand (which also raises the question of whether or not I'm even
    allowed to use it, since I'm not sure if first-sale rights apply to
    licenses); and No3 - AFAICT the Vole doesn't do refunds ... ever, they
    leave that to the POS (OEM, retailer, etc.). My "retailer" was a bloke
    on eBay, who sold me an A530 accelerator/HDD + bridgeboard, along with
    these DOS disks, a couple of years ago.

    So what's the going rate for a 15 year old copy of DOS, anyway?

    I doubt it has any collectors value (who gets all nostalgic over
    something as dull as DOS/Windows?), and it's of zero practical use, so
    frankly I'm inclined to bin it at the next clear-out.

    If someone wants to pay the postage, I'll send them the disks for free,
    otherwise they're going to the Big Disk Box in the Sky.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:09:04 up 6 days, 51 min, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.02

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2