Another "downgrade" to XP - Linux

This is a discussion on Another "downgrade" to XP - Linux ; Ezekiel wrote: > Still having reading comprehension. Not a surprise given the ignorance of > your replies. Since you quoted that "The natural state of the market is to > coalesce to a SINGLE leader" I suppose you can show ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

  1. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > Still having reading comprehension. Not a surprise given the ignorance of
    > your replies. Since you quoted that "The natural state of the market is to
    > coalesce to a SINGLE leader" I suppose you can show where I said this. Oh
    > that's right... I never did say this. You are falsely quoting something and
    > attributing it to me like a dishonest scumbag.

    "It's natural for markets

    coalesce towards a leader."

    Cut and pasted from *your* post *again*. Falsely quoted huh?

  2. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    chrisv wrote:
    > Yes, there are benefits to having a defacto-standard OS.

    Indeed. Many SME software houses owe a lot to this.

    > However,
    > that model has the unfortunate drawbacks of technical stagnation,
    > price-gouging, and lack of freedom and choice.

    The downside. A better solution is to have a strong standards setting
    body that the big boys must adhere to but that's not likely to be allowed.

    > The Internet, enabling Web applications and efficient distribution of
    > software, is obsoleting the benefits of the one big defacto-standard
    > OS. There are still some software and data compatibility issues to
    > resolve, and there is still a lot of sheer momentum, but those
    > problems will yield as well.

    God bless the internet. Historians in a couple of centuries may well
    attribute it as *the* single most important human invention ever.

  3. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 07:18:00 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:C8BQk.62251$rD2.40356@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> "RonB" wrote in message

    >>> So why didn't he load Linux on it?

    >> You must be pretty dense. Been hanging out here a long time, and you
    >> still
    >> don't know?

    > What's often posted here is how millions and millions of people are
    > moving to Linux in droves. According to the posts here, the reason he
    > installed XP and now Linux on the laptop is:
    >
    > 1) MS bribed him to run Windows:

    ... By selling 'education version' to students, by 'giving' freebies to
    senior academics, by giving free laptops to 'reviewers'.

    > 2) MS threatened him if he didn't run Windows

    Threatened to raise per PC windows OS bulk prices if a manufacturer
    offered Linux (or any other non Windows OS) on their product line.

    > 3) Ballmer threw a chair at him

    .... Cut of the competitions air supply (distribution channels)

  4. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 07:49:56 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Whoah! You mean that some people actually make a choice to use Windows.

    Sure:-
    1) Those that are locked in to Windows only apps

    2) Those that have no other choice due to Microsoft cutting off the
    distribution channels for the competition. In this case, their choice is
    Windows, .. or Windows

    3) Those with a big investment in Windows, MSCEs etc

    4) Service industries make a killing with Windows as a dead Windows box
    feeds a whole tribe. Microsoft for a new OS, pc parts, upgrades etc

    >> I've never had a really exciting eXPerience (in fact, the product lets
    >> me down with surprising regularity), but others apparently have.

    > Just curious... how exactly does XP let you down regularly?

    The first and last time I used XP was doing some subcontract work a few
    years ago. The company was using Windows2000 but had installed XP on a
    couple of machines as new versions of Windows applications required it.

    My use was limited to a simple terminal emulator talking serial to an
    Embedded device from the XP box.

    I used to program about 50 -100 embedded devices a day via that system.

    Every few days, a device would fail, with the fault being no serial
    comms, and I'd put it in the 'to be repaired box' for me to look at later.

    Then the next one would fail, and the next, and then I'd realise that XP
    has just stopped talking via the serial port. No error, just stop working.

    I would reboot, and everything would be fine.

    This would *never* happen in Linux, and has *never* happened to me in
    Linux, ever.

  5. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:17:52 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o'
    >> wisdom:

    >>> Err, no, the rest of the world suffers. Those who use it from its
    >>> crappiness. And those who don't from the malware and spam overwhelming
    >>> the email accounts, originating from the millions of infected windows
    >>> systems

    >> Steve Townsend, A.K.A. Hadron II, is simply another dazed follower of
    >> Microsoft who dismisses other peoples issues as unimportant,
    >> attributing their problems to their own incompetence, rather than the
    >> incompetence of Microsoft, the vendor, or even the Microsoft MCSEs who
    >> attempt to administer Microsoft networks with "GUIs".

    > Are you stupid or merely sick?

    So it looks like I was right after all, ... but then again you were
    pegging my Wintrollometer at the 100% mark.

    My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

  6. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Terry Porter writes:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:17:52 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o'
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> Steve Townsend, A.K.A. Hadron II, is simply another dazed follower of
    >>> Microsoft who dismisses other peoples issues as unimportant,
    >>> attributing their problems to their own incompetence, rather than the
    >>> incompetence of Microsoft, the vendor, or even the Microsoft MCSEs who
    >>> attempt to administer Microsoft networks with "GUIs".

    >> Are you stupid or merely sick?

    > So it looks like I was right after all, ... but then again you were
    > pegging my Wintrollometer at the 100% mark.
    >

    > My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

    I do not think anyone needs your advice. You have already proven that
    you know nothing about the real world or the importance of application
    development for the verticals. Real companies dont limit themselves to
    stroking their own egos by mastering vi. They leave that to kids.

  7. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Hadron II quacked:
    >>
    >>> Are you stupid or merely sick?

    >> Typical quack.

    > Quite amusing double standards really. Whenever someone has trouble
    > with windows it's because they are stupid. Nothing to do with
    > microsoft, hardware or crap drivers. On the other wintroll foot, any
    > bad experience in ubuntu forums has to be posted here - repeatedly -
    > as evidence of the "crapware".

    There are many things wrong with Windows. But Chris clearly has no clue
    if his XP is so hosed. But he claims he is a Linux programmer so what
    does he care anyway?

  8. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Phil Da Lick!" wrote
    >> in message news:tb6dnbDaB6rRj47UnZ2dnUVZ8tbinZ2d@posted.plusn et...

    >>> Monopoly is good now huh?

    >> Could you possibly take my post any further out of context. Did this
    >> paragraph I posted have too many "big words" for you to understand?
    >>

    > "It's natural for markets to coalesce towards a leader"
    >

    > No. It's neither natural, or desirable.

    Say that once more? Do you have any clue about what you are talking
    about?

    If its not natural or desirable why does everyone do it?

  9. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On 2008-11-07, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:17:52 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o'
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> Steve Townsend, A.K.A. Hadron II, is simply another dazed follower of
    >>> Microsoft who dismisses other peoples issues as unimportant,
    >>> attributing their problems to their own incompetence, rather than the
    >>> incompetence of Microsoft, the vendor, or even the Microsoft MCSEs who
    >>> attempt to administer Microsoft networks with "GUIs".

    >> Are you stupid or merely sick?

    > So it looks like I was right after all, ... but then again you were
    > pegging my Wintrollometer at the 100% mark.
    >

    > My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

    This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    nasty little cretin.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-07, Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

    > This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    > automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    > nasty little cretin.

    What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    --
    LordHavoc: I'm already insane.
    damn straight. or curvy, crooked, or what have you

  11. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-07, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >>> My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

    >> This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    >> automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    >> nasty little cretin.

    > What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    Would make sense. Are there *any* non-cretins posting via motzarella?
    --
    No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
    significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

  12. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-07, Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >>> My advice to readers is to killfile this rude and arrogant Wintroll.

    >> This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    >> automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    >> nasty little cretin.

    > What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are they?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    >>> automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    >>> nasty little cretin.

    >> What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    > Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are they?

    You never know, with the way some American ISPs are starting to filter out
    newsgroups.

    --
    If Bill Gates is the Devil then Linus Torvalds must be the Messiah.
    -- Unknown source

  14. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Gregory Shearman writes:

    > On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> This Townsend troll must be one of the other trolls. It has been
    >>> automatically killed by my troll filter. Maybe it is bee or some other
    >>> nasty little cretin.

    >> What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?
    >>

    > Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are they?

    The big strong COLA advocates! Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run,run.....

  15. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Hadron AKA Steve Townsend, Damian O'Leary and Hans Schneider wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman writes:
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> Gregory Shearman belched:

    >>> What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    >> Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are
    >> they?

    I think it was Ghost-in-the-Machine that used Motz, but he hasn't
    posted here in a while.

    > The big strong COLA advocates! Run rabbit, run rabbit, run,
    > run,run.....

    This is an example of:

    Subject: 4.1 Drivel

    Posts without interesting content are simple to produce.
    Cascades have a long history on usenet, usually containing
    wordplays round a specific theme. The Trolls version is a
    cascade of drivel. two persons working online to the same
    newsserver can throw a thread between themselves and create
    very large numbers of posts. One person can throw a thread
    between two or more sockpuppets.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  16. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron AKA Steve Townsend, Damian O'Leary and Hans Schneider wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are
    >>> they?

    > I think it was Ghost-in-the-Machine that used Motz, but he hasn't
    > posted here in a while.
    >
    >> The big strong COLA advocates! Run rabbit, run rabbit, run,
    >> run,run.....

    > This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >

    > Subject: 4.1 Drivel
    >
    > Posts without interesting content are simple to produce.
    > Cascades have a long history on usenet, usually containing
    > wordplays round a specific theme. The Trolls version is a
    > cascade of drivel. two persons working online to the same
    > newsserver can throw a thread between themselves and create
    > very large numbers of posts. One person can throw a thread
    > between two or more sockpuppets.

    Hadron thinks we should be forced to read his insulting drivel.

    He's got another think coming.

    He's a TWAT (time-wasting asshole troll).

    --
    This was the ultimate form of ostentation among technology freaks -- to have
    a system so complete and sophisticated that nothing showed; no machines,

  17. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    On 2008-11-09, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> What do you kill on? All Motzarella Morons?

    >> Yep. I don't think anyone good is using Motzarella, are they?

    > You never know, with the way some American ISPs are starting to filter out
    > newsgroups.

    Yeah, well.... My ISP gave up its news server 18 months ago. I went to
    news.individual.net and pay a small yearly subscription. They are
    reliable and cheap, they filter out much of the spam, they don't carry
    binary groups and they don't tolerate abuse, so there's little chance
    that this news server will ever be filtered out by newsreaders.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    > I think it was Ghost-in-the-Machine that used Motz, but he hasn't
    > posted here in a while.

    Actually it was/is Teranews, and he's been having some difficulties with
    them recently, or vice versa. His recent posts have all been through GG.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:31:20 up 4 days, 9:14, 4 users, load average: 4.66, 4.45, 4.22

  19. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Homer wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    >
    >> I think it was Ghost-in-the-Machine that used Motz, but he
    >> hasn't posted here in a while.

    > Actually it was/is Teranews, and he's been having some
    > difficulties with them recently, or vice versa. His recent
    > posts have all been through GG.

    You're right. I recalled something of his post to that effect.
    I don't know of any quality posters using Motz. Trolls for a
    short time used albasani and cnntp, but they got LART'd.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  20. Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

    Steve Townsend wrote:

    >> "It's natural for markets to coalesce towards a leader"
    >>

    >> No. It's neither natural, or desirable.

    > Say that once more? Do you have any clue about what you are talking
    > about?
    >
    > If its not natural or desirable why does everyone do it?

    It's not natural at all. Big companies will try and force it by using
    underhand business practice to eliminate competition. We have seen that
    many times. But the "natural" state is a free market with lots of
    competition, fair pricing and consumer choice.

    As for desirable, who other than the aforementioned big companies would
    find a monopoly desirable?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3