[News] UK Signs Memorandum of Understanding, Sells Internet to the MAFIAA - Linux

  1. [News] UK Signs Memorandum of Understanding, Sells Internet to the MAFIAA

    UK Music Industry and ISPs Near Illegal File Sharing Agreement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | UK Music's chief executive, Feargal Sharkey, claims that progress has been
    | made on a deal between the industry and broadband Internet Service Providers
    | (ISP) to tackle illegal file sharing.
    `----

    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkkVlpulpAWVgKjyMP.html

    The crooks from IDC are producing bogus 'studies' again.

    Reducing the Piracy Rate Does Not Necessarily Create Jobs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The SMH ran an uncritical software piracy propaganda piece on 21 October
    | (link will likely become unusable in a short time). The piece cites IDC on
    | Australia having a piracy rate of 28%. One of the spokespersons
    | quoted “claimed” that a 10% drop in the piracy rate over the next four years
    | would “generate an additional 3929 Australian jobs in the IT channel” (btw
    | the number (3929) demonstrates astounding precision from such an inexact
    | science). Can that be right? Must a reduction in the piracy rate result in
    | higher jobs for the IT sector?
    `----

    http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/20...y-create-jobs/

    Recent:

    Anti-piracy agreement re-discusses copyright infringement liability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) has strongly
    | criticised the secret negotiations concerning the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
    | Agreement (ACTA) and the package of measures for counteracting infringements
    | of the rights to intangible goods considered by the EU Commission. The
    | foundation considers it particularly questionable that Brussels intends to
    | renegotiate the current liability regulations and exemptions for internet
    | providers in the E-Commerce Directive.
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/118367

    ACTA of Hypocrisy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, it's a case of the lady protesting too much: earnestly assuring us
    | that it doesn't intend to bring in a shopping list of legal nasties -
    | criminalisation of infringement, summary injunctions for those suspected of
    | infringing, "three strikes and you're out", etc. - but convincing no one.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And yet, strangely, getting rid of monopolies is something that the people
    | working so feverishly on ACTA simply cannot contemplate - despite all the
    | economic evidence that it is the solution to so many of the the problems they
    | claim to be addressing.
    |
    | Counterfeiting bad, monopolies good.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...hypocrisy.html

    Government Keeps ACTA Consultation Results Under Wraps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Earlier this year, many Canadians were taken aback by reports of a secret
    | trade agreement that conjured up images of iPod-searching border guards and
    | tough new penalties for every day activities. *The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
    | Agreement, currently being negotiated by Canada, the United States, Japan,
    | the European Union, and a handful other countries, generated sufficient
    | public concern such that then-Industry Minister Jim Prentice specifically
    | denied any links between the treaty and proposed new legislation.
    |
    | While the ACTA debate has largely disappeared from the public radar screen,
    | the negotiations continue. Over the summer, I reported about attempts to
    | establish a private consultation committee composed of industry groups that
    | excluded public interest organizations. *The status of the consultation
    | committee remains unknown, but my latest technology law column (Toronto Star
    | version, homepage version) reports on newly obtained documents [13 MB] under
    | the Access to Information Act that provide additional insights into the
    | secretive nature of the negotiations as well as the results of a limited
    | public consultation conducted by the Department of Foreign Affairs in the
    | spring...
    `----

    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3489/135/

    ACTA is a fuel for patent trolls?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ACTA, a multi-lateral treaty currently being discussed secretly behind closed
    | doors, might export the dangerous IPRED1 directive to the United States,
    | which allow patent trolls in Europe to preventively freeze bank accounts of a
    | company in case of "suspicion of infringement".
    `----

    http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum...-patent-trolls

    ACTA = ISP liabilities, Criminal sanctions for file sharing, and cheap guns for
    Patent Trolls

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to a leaked document authored by the European Commission DG Trade,
    | the secret ACTA treaty will reopen the debate on the liabilities of Internet
    | Service Providers (ISPs) over content, as well as trying to achieve criminal
    | sanctions in the EU under the French Presidency Sarkozy. France has already
    | criminal sanctions for file sharers, and a law project on file sharing
    | and "graduated response" has been recently passed the Senate. ACTA might also
    | export the dangerous IPRED1 directive to the United States, which allow
    | patent trolls in Europe to preventively freeze bank accounts of a company in
    | case of "suspicion of infringement".
    `----

    http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum...-patent-trolls

    FFII opposes stealth legislation, demands ACTA documents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) has requested 12
    | secret Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) documents from the EU
    | Council. Behind closed doors, the EU, US, Japan and other countries are
    | negotiating ACTA. The negotiating parties plan on making the ACTA text public
    | only after the parties have agreed to it.
    `----

    http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases...ACTA_documents

    ACTA and other monsters discussed behind Council closed doors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Council is discussing measures to curb infringements of progress bars and
    | others counterfeited shoes. ACTA and other monsters are discussed behind
    | Council closed doors.
    `----

    http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum...l-closed-doors

    ACTA-ion and ReACTA-ion

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, it is an attempt to bring in yet more punitive measures against
    | alleged infringements of intellectual monopolies, with less judicial
    | oversight and no pesky European privacy protection.
    |
    | But the trouble with these kinds of crude instruments, cooked up in haste
    | without much deep consideration of their knock-on effects, is that they can
    | backfire.
    |
    | Here, for example, is a letter to the US Trade Representative from a bunch of
    | big names, including Amazon, eBay and Yahoo. They have noticed a few tiny
    | probs with ACTA:
    |
    | 'We appreciate your objective of protecting the intellectual property of
    | American rightsholders from infringement overseas. However, in light of these
    | European decisions, there is a very real possibility that an agreement that
    | would require signatories to increase penalties for “counterfeiting”
    | and “piracy” could be used to challenge American companies engaging in online
    | practices that are entirely legal in the U.S., that bring enormous benefit to
    | U.S. consumers, and that increase U.S. Exports.'
    |
    | Is this rich, or what? Here we have a trade agreement that is essentially
    | trying to export the insanely aggressive US system for dealing with alleged
    | infringements to the rest off the world, but when it works the other way –
    | with European norms exported to the US – suddenly, that's a problem.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...1128&blogid=14

    Research firm emails 20,000 addresses in the clear

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today's doofus is investor research company Digital Look. It sent a mail
    | yesterday morning which revealed 22,129 email addresses.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...blunder_redux/

    Stop the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just heard about the proposed ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement)
    | over at Free Software Daily and from the Free Software Foundation. Right now
    | the governments of the United States, the European Commission, Japan,
    | Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Canada, and Mexico are
    | secretly negotiating this new treaty which aims to increase the enforcement
    | of intellectual property laws yet again.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...rade_agreement

    ACTA's Unspeakable Acts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since neither the EU nor the UK government has deigned to let us peasants
    | know anything about the current ACTA negotations, I was interested to see New
    | Zealand's government releasing a statement...
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...able-acts.html

    Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “New Zealand’s law does not go as far as the DMCA in the US, but it is unjust
    | nonetheless,” he says.
    |
    | “DRM is nearly always the result of a conspiracy of companies to restrict the
    | technology available to the public. Such conspiracy should be a crime, and
    | the executives responsible for it should be sentenced to prison.”
    |
    | Stallman’s other mission here is to promote the Free Software Movement. The
    | creator of the GPL licence, under which most free software is distributed, is
    | at pains to correct misunderstandings of what the term “free software” means
    | and to draw a distinction between it and the open source movement.
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25749A00383CB3

    Act Now on ACTA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the things that has amazed me recently is the power of the letter –
    | or, more specifically, the power of the letter when sent to an MP or MEP.
    | Naively, I would have expected a deafening silence from these exalted beings
    | in receipt of my ever so 'umble communications, but by and large they are
    | astonishingly quick to respond, often with personal replies. From this I draw
    | an important lesson: that it is always worth writing to your Mps/MEPs about
    | things that matter to you.
    |
    | Against that background, over the next few weeks, I aim to present a few
    | worthy causes to readers of this blog that they might like to take up with
    | representatives. Remember, finding the latter – and sending stuff to them –
    | is trivially easy thanks to the wonders of the WriteToThem site, so there's
    | no excuse for not joining in.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...1084&blogid=14
    http://tinyurl.com/5nbhw2

    Sysadmins slam ACMA web filtering study

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Guild also expressed concerns about the false positives encountered
    | during the ACMA test. The most accurate filter tested incorrectly blocked
    | three percent of requests, but when scaled up to the traffic volumes of a
    | medium to large ISP this would mean over 3000 requests would be blocked every
    | second.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19763/1054/

    IETF tackling P2P data traffic in Tokyo even though the same content is
    available on a server in London.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are a number of possible solutions: The P4P working group at Yale
    | University has conducted initial testing in the Verizon and Telefonica
    | networks. On the other side of the pond, an EU supported research project is
    | working on a solution called Network-Aware P2P TV Application Over Wise
    | Networks. In spring, Berlin computer science professor Anja Feldmann
    | presented the concept of an "oracle" server, which would deliver a rating
    | list of the closest P2P nodes.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Another SIP expert, Henning Schultzrinne of Columbia University, raised the
    | possibility of giving end users more control over data traffic costs.
    | Currently, users face the disheartening possibility of risking a hefty bill
    | for P2P traffic. At his university, it is standard operating procedure to
    | block access to users who have exceeded their 252 gigabyte monthly volume.

    `----

    Why We Must React to ACTA

    ,----[Quote ]
    | The name of the “Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement” – ACTA – is indicative
    | of the overall approach being taken. First, this is a trade agreement, which
    | means that it by-passes many of the more open processes for drawing up
    | international agreements. This has allowed it to be discussed in secret,
    | amongst a cosy club of interested parties and their chums – notably, those in
    | industries based on exploiting intellectual monopolies.
    |
    | Moreover, this is an invitation-only club, which has led to the exclusion of
    | most developing countries, and hence most of the world in terms of
    | population. It is nothing less than cyber-imperialism by the rich countries
    | that for so long have imposed their agendas on the rest of the globe, but
    | which finally see their traditional hegemony threatened by the rise of new
    | powers – and new ideas. ACTA is a last-ditch attempt to lock the world into
    | an old and outdated mindset.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...ust-react-acta

    Related:

    Senators Plan To Unveil New IP Bill

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy and ranking member Arlen
    | Specter will join Sens. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and George Voinovich, R-Ohio, on
    | Thursday in unveiling new legislation intended to boost government efforts to
    | crack down on counterfeiting and piracy.
    `----

    http://techdailydose.nationaljournal...eil_new_ip.php

    FSF organizes against Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "At the moment, the campaign's mostly information," Lee says. "What we want
    | to do is get more people involved who can help us build public awareness and
    | also build up the information on ACTA."
    |
    | Other ways that free software users can help the FSF campaign, Lee suggests,
    | include local campaigns that contact your elected representatives and
    | starting grass root organizations to help create a world-wide action network.
    | Lee also stresses the importance of translating information from English to
    | help resistance to ACTA in non-English speaking countries.
    |
    | "It's early days for the campaign," Lee says. "It's an ongoing battle, but
    | ultimately we're going to ride this through and see ACTA defeated. But we
    | need people to get involved to help us do this."
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/142403

    ACTA threatens free software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. It makes it more difficult to distribute free software: Without file
    | * *sharing and P2P technologies like BitTorrent, distributing large amounts
    | * *of free software becomes much harder, and more expensive. BitTorrent is a
    | * *grassroots protocol that allows everyone to contribute to legally
    | * *distributing free software.
    | 2. It will make it harder for users of free operating systems to play
    | * *media: Consumers will no longer be able to buy media without DRM -- and
    | * *DRMed media cannot be played with free software.
    | 3. It increases the chances of getting your devices taken away: Portable
    | * *media players that support free formats are less common than devices which
    | * *support DRM, such as the iPod. Will this make them suspicious to border
    | * *guards?
    | 4. It creates a culture of surveillance and suspicion, in which the
    | * *freedom that is required to produce free software is seen as dangerous and
    | * *threatening rather than creative, innovative, and exciting.
    `----

    http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/acta

    The right to peer inside your iPod

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An agreement on intellectual property rights to be ratified by the G8 heads
    | of government highlights conflicts between ownership and privacy
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...alproperty.law

    Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is developing a new technology that could force mobiles into silent
    | mode, or even prevent calls from being made.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Phone jammers, which work in small spaces, are banned in the UK and come with
    || a hefty fine for use.
    `----

    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...silence-393006

    Digital copyright: it's all wrong

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The ACTA draft is a scary document. If a treaty based on its provisions were
    | adopted, it would enable any border guard, in any treaty country, to check
    | any electronic device for any content that they suspect infringes copyright
    | laws. They need no proof, only suspicion.
    |
    | They would be able to seize any device - laptop, iPod, DVD recorder, mobile
    | phone, etc - and confiscate it or destroy anything on it, merely on
    | suspicion. On the spot, no lawyers, no right of appeal, no nothing.
    `----

    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...e#contentSwap1
    http://tinyurl.com/6ylvpx

    Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Criticism from NGOs
    |
    | Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
    | Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
    | that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
    | by Hollywood companies.
    |
    | Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
    | warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
    | counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
    | insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
    | an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
    | infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
    `----

    http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

  2. Re: [News] UK Signs Memorandum of Understanding, Sells Internet tothe MAFIAA

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > UK Music Industry and ISPs Near Illegal File Sharing Agreement
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| UK Music's chief executive, Feargal Sharkey, claims that progress has been
    >| made on a deal between the industry and broadband Internet Service Providers
    >| (ISP) to tackle illegal file sharing.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkkVlpulpAWVgKjyMP.html

    Feargal Sharkey - wasn't he a singer once?

    I find the idea of ISPs disconnecting their own users at the behest of a
    3rd party, with no appeal, judge or jury, to say the least, more than a
    little unacceptable.

    Magna carta did establish some important rights... how about a jury? an
    independent judge?

  3. Re: [News] UK Signs Memorandum of Understanding, Sells Internet tothe MAFIAA

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > Feargal Sharkey - wasn't he a singer once?

    "A Good Heart is Hard to Find"

    He should know; he traded in his for a suit.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:07:19 up 2 days, 4:50, 4 users, load average: 0.15, 0.29, 0.17

  4. Re: [News] UK Signs Memorandum of Understanding, Sells Internet tothe MAFIAA

    Homer espoused:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Feargal Sharkey - wasn't he a singer once?

    > "A Good Heart is Hard to Find"
    >
    > He should know; he traded in his for a suit.

    Perhaps his song should've been:

    "A good charter these days is hard to find

    The great charter's quite out of my mind..."