[News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated - Linux

  1. [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

    White spaces vote gets FCC approval

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to release
    | unused broadcast TV spectrum for unlicensed use, giving technology leaders
    | Google, Microsoft and others a victory in their bid to create a
    | next-generation version of Wi-Fi.
    `----

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32304

    Here's a refreshing change. Comcast is already known to be utterly corrupt. At
    least there's hope for the FCC.

    Recent:

    FCC on Comcast: Bravo!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Free Press (and others) alleged that Comcast was blocking the BitTorrent
    | application. We've known for sometime the result in this case (because of the
    | weird practice of the FCC to release the results of an order without
    | necessarily releasing the order). But at the crack of dawn (California time)
    | today, the Commission released its 34 page order.
    |
    | It is fantastically well done. So much so that I felt compelled (in that
    | weird lawyer like way) to blather my own 5 pages of thanks in a letter to the
    | Commission that will be mailed today.
    `----

    http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/fcc_o...ast_bravo.html

    Related:

    Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
    | hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
    | out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees.
    `----

    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

    Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

    Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
    | start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
    | broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
    | filled-to-capacity hearing started.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation

  2. Re: [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > White spaces vote gets FCC approval
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to release
    > | unused broadcast TV spectrum for unlicensed use, giving technology leaders
    > | Google, Microsoft and others a victory in their bid to create a
    > | next-generation version of Wi-Fi.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32304

    Unwise. How long until devices using this range start interfering with
    each other?

  3. Re: [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > White spaces vote gets FCC approval
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to release
    >| unused broadcast TV spectrum for unlicensed use, giving technology leaders
    >| Google, Microsoft and others a victory in their bid to create a
    >| next-generation version of Wi-Fi.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32304
    >
    > Here's a refreshing change. Comcast is already known to be utterly corrupt. At
    > least there's hope for the FCC.

    Is this so good, I wonder? Interference is the biggest single issue in
    spectrum usage, and I very much doubt that any of these so-called
    "technology leaders" will really care much about causing interference to
    small organisations...

  4. Re: [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

  5. Re: [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Thursday 06 November 2008 12:45 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> White spaces vote gets FCC approval
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=32304

    >> Unwise. How long until devices using this range start interfering with
    >> each other?

    > What about smart radios? Covered in:
    >
    > Dan Gillmor, creator of the phrase, "Distributed Journalism" 16 (2005)
    > http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv2...illmor_009.ogg
    >
    > Dan Gillmor, creator of the phrase, "Distributed Journalism" 17 (2005)
    > http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv2...illmor_001.ogg

    Oh, I know how to build such things, but that's not the issue - the
    issue is migration. For example, if there are, say, 1 million
    hospital systems susceptible to EM radiation, and they cost, say, £1,000
    each to replace on average, who pays?

    Similarly, let's say that there are 80 million radios (broadcast
    receivers) in the UK which are susceptible, again, who pays?

    What about ADSL receivers for broadband - there are about 10 million
    of these out there - who pays to replace them with "smart" ones, and so
    on.

    My issue is about the existing plant, not about what could be done if
    there weren't any.

  6. Re: [News] Spectrum Oligarchy Ends, Spectrum Liberated

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 November 2008 15:42 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Thursday 06 November 2008 12:45 : \____

    >>> Unwise. How long until devices using this range start interfering with
    >>> each other?

    >> What about smart radios? Covered in:
    >>
    >> Dan Gillmor, creator of the phrase, "Distributed Journalism" 16 (2005)
    >> http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv2...illmor_009.ogg
    >>
    >> Dan Gillmor, creator of the phrase, "Distributed Journalism" 17 (2005)
    >> http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv2...illmor_001.ogg
    >>

    > Oh, I know how to build such things, but that's not the issue - the
    > issue is migration. For example, if there are, say, 1 million
    > hospital systems susceptible to EM radiation, and they cost, say, £1,000
    > each to replace on average, who pays?
    >
    > Similarly, let's say that there are 80 million radios (broadcast
    > receivers) in the UK which are susceptible, again, who pays?
    >
    > What about ADSL receivers for broadband - there are about 10 million
    > of these out there - who pays to replace them with "smart" ones, and so
    > on.
    >
    > My issue is about the existing plant, not about what could be done if
    > there weren't any.

    As Gillmore says, this may take /many/ years, but let's make it gradual. That's
    like saying, why make CDs when we already have cassette tapes and CDs can make
    old stereos obsolete (like portable music players do)?

    There's a serious issue here which is risk. Still, should this impede progress?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | United States: #1 in spam export
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

+ Reply to Thread