Run Your Computer Network without Electricity

,----[ Quote ]
| Scott Johnson of GNUveau Networks has developed a solar-powered
| Internet "hub" system, which runs Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Labeled as SolarNetOne,
| Scott builds to order these systems at his home at Daytona Beach, Florida.
| The system uses readily available hardware that Scott modifies to run on
| 12V -- and to use minimal power than the stock versions. As these systems use
| solar power, it's not only load-shedding proof but also results in huge
| savings in electricity costs.
`----

http://www.enterpriser.in/India/Know...94787-449.html

GNUveau Networks builds solar-powered Linux computer networks for remote
villages (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Scott Johnson of GNUveau Networks has developed a solar-powered
| Internet "hub" system (running Ubuntu GNU/Linux) that he builds to order in
| his Daytona Beach, Florida, home. His objective is to bring computers and the
| Internet to places that have no connectivity, no phone service, and no
| electricity.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/151362

Related:

Linux devices manage broadband powerline network

,----[ Quote ]
| Mini-ITX systems running Linux will soon enable residents of rural Michigan
| to access the Internet over their electrical power lines at broadband speeds.
| The systems are also enabling the utility provider there to read meters,
| monitor environmental factors, and diagnose outages remotely. *
`----

Red Hat Linux trumps Microsoft Windows in power test

,----[ Quote ]
| RHEL 5 had the single widest lead, with 12% greater efficiency than Windows
| Server 2008 on IBM x3350. Results varied by hardware, but RHEL had the best
| overall performance in 13 of 16 tests and, in several trials, beat Windows by
| nearly 10% .
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...ml?track=sy184

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...ml?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Servers Get Their First Power and Performance Benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first forty years of the systems and server market, price/performance
| was basically the only metric that mattered within a given class of machines.
| But in the 21st century, when power and cooling issues are thwarting the
| attempts of companies to continue adding computing capacity at the rates they
| did in years gone by, there will be a new metric that people will start to
| pay attention to: performance/watt. To that end, the Standard Performance
| Evaluation Corporation has just release its first benchmark that gauges the
| performance and power consumption of servers.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/bns/bns121807-story01.html

Nije Shikhi, and GNOME on 12 Volt DC

,----[ Quote ]
| The computers to be used for that are based on the Geode platform,
| and are powered by a 12 volt DC battery (which is charged by
| solar cells).
`----

http://sayamindu.randomink.org/rambl...-on-12-volt-dc

The BeagleBoard: $149 Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| The beagleboard is low cost fanless development board with Linux support. And
| it is low cost, you can get one for $149 from digikey. And it is low power,
| it uses less than 2 Watts and can run via USB power (although it does have a
| secondary power input).
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...9-linux-system

Fit PC runs Linux and draws only 5W of power

,----[ Quote ]
| There are power efficient computers and then there are power efficient
| computers. *Enter the Fit PC, a small, self-contained, fanless computer that
| draws 3W to 5W when it is on. *
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/...y-5w-of-power/

Linux vs. Windows Power Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| For these tests we hadn't used the Lenovo ThinkPad R52 notebook again, but
| had turned to an older hardware configuration. *
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1

Windows, Linux vie for honours

,----[ Quote ]
| Projects include the "tickles kernel" which enables the processor to sleep
| between tasks and better power management to USB peripherals.
|
| [...]
|
| That lightness had also allowed Linux to become a strong player in the
| embedded market, where energy efficiency was critical to success, Mr King
| said. *
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...013045,00.html

Linutop Mini Linux PC Reviewed - Damn Small Linux Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linutop is a small Linux PC. Of course, if you think the Mac Mini is
| small, then perhaps the words, incredibly miniscule are closer to the mark.
|
| Running a customised version of xubuntu Linux, this little box could replace
| your desktop for most common tasks, including what you're doing right now.
|
| And if this wasn't impressive enough in a box slightly larger than a Nintendo
| DS, the Linutop does it all drawing a maximum of 5 watts - That's less than
| an energy saver light bulb! *
`----

http://www.digitalreviews.net/review...linux-har.html
http://tinyurl.com/2kyd8y

Linutop v1.2: low-power Linux desktop Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| Tech reviews are very much a snapshot process, making a decision after a
| relatively short period of time and of a single incarnation of the product.
| Useful, yes, but not an exact facsimile of living with something day in, day
| out that you’ve bought yourself. *
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/linutop-v12...ted-048829.php

Linux web PC makers tout Linutop-like wares

,----[ Quote ]
| Linutop's recently announced Linux-based ultra-compact PC may have
| grabbed the hardware headlines earlier this week, but its rivals
| didn't take long to start shouting about their own take on the
| web-oriented unit.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...linux_web_pcs/

Tiny PC sips power, runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Compulab has introduced a fanless PC, roughly the size of a paperback book,
| that consumes a mere 3 to 5 watts of power. The "fit-PC" comes with Linux
| preinstalled, and is intended to fit where conventional PCs won't, according
| to the Haifa, Israel-based company.
`----

Linutop: Tiny Linux Computer On Sale

,----[ Quote ]
| Get ready for a bonkers-ly small Linux machine, called Linutop, as
| it comes on sale.
`----

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2007/...puter-on-sale/

Tiny 2-Watt Linux system packs a light-weight Java runtime environment

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gateway Express is based on the company's SA2410 Medallion CPU
| module, draws under two watts, and is available with IBM WebSphere
| development tools.
`----

SlashGear Review: Linutop's fanless Linux PC

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/slashgear-r...-pc-315515.php