How to Participate - Linux

This is a discussion on How to Participate - Linux ; http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/how-p...inux-community The purpose of this document is to help developers (and their managers) work with the development community with a minimum of frustration. It is an attempt to document how this community works in a way which is accessible to ...

  1. How to Participate

    http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/how-p...inux-community

    The purpose of this document is to help developers (and their managers)
    work with the development community with a minimum of frustration. It is
    an attempt to document how this community works in a way which is
    accessible to those who are not intimately familiar with Linux kernel
    development (or, indeed, free software development in general). While
    there is some technical material here, this is very much a
    process-oriented discussion which does not require a deep knowledge of
    kernel programming to understand.

    --
    My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world.
    -- Muhammad Ali

  2. Re: How to Participate

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:eLiQk.55755$XT1.37887@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
    > http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/how-p...inux-community
    >
    > The purpose of this document is to help developers (and their managers)
    > work with the development community with a minimum of frustration. It is
    > an attempt to document how this community works in a way which is
    > accessible to those who are not intimately familiar with Linux kernel
    > development (or, indeed, free software development in general). While
    > there is some technical material here, this is very much a
    > process-oriented discussion which does not require a deep knowledge of
    > kernel programming to understand.

    "Copyright assignments are not required (or requested) for code contributed
    to the kernel. All code merged into the mainline kernel retains its original
    ownership; as a result, the kernel now has thousands of owners.

    One implication of this ownership structure is that any attempt to change
    the licensing of the kernel is doomed to almost certain failure. There are
    few practical scenarios where the agreement of all copyright holders could
    be obtained (or their code removed from the kernel). So, in particular,
    there is no prospect of a migration to version 3 of the GPL in the
    foreseeable future."

    That is kind of interesting in its own right. Such a hodge-podge would
    preclude any sort of assertion of the copyright since each "owner" would
    have to first register their copyright prior to filing any suit contending
    any unauthorized use of the work as a whole. That would seem to be a fatal
    factor in any sort of GPL assertion. In effect there is no licensor who
    could bring an action.

  3. Re: How to Participate

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:59:59 -0500
    "amicus_curious" wrote:

    > Such a hodge-podge would preclude any sort of assertion of the
    > copyright since each "owner" would have to first register their
    > copyright prior to filing any suit contending any unauthorized use of
    > the work as a whole.

    Only if:

    * the copyright holder in question is a US national,
    * the copyright holder has not filed already,
    * and the filing is made within 30 days of the infringement.

    (The Berne Convention and US copyright laws in concert creates this
    effect. Copyright holders in countries outside of the US do not have
    to register their copyright in the US to file action of infringement
    in a US court, as mandated by the Berne Convention.)

    > That would seem to be a fatal factor in any sort of GPL assertion.
    > In effect there is no licensor who could bring an action.

    See above; this is untrue for the same reasons.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  4. Re: How to Participate

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael B. Trausch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:59:59 -0500
    > "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >
    >> Such a hodge-podge would preclude any sort of assertion of the
    >> copyright since each "owner" would have to first register their
    >> copyright prior to filing any suit contending any unauthorized use of
    >> the work as a whole.

    > Only if:
    >
    > * the copyright holder in question is a US national,
    > * the copyright holder has not filed already,
    > * and the filing is made within 30 days of the infringement.
    >
    > (The Berne Convention and US copyright laws in concert creates this
    > effect. Copyright holders in countries outside of the US do not have
    > to register their copyright in the US to file action of infringement
    > in a US court, as mandated by the Berne Convention.)
    >
    >> That would seem to be a fatal factor in any sort of GPL assertion.
    >> In effect there is no licensor who could bring an action.

    > See above; this is untrue for the same reasons.

    amicus_spurious doesn't seem to know about all the corporate teams who love
    to make sure their stuff is "in the kernel".

    --
    !07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I !pleH

+ Reply to Thread