usb driver module - Linux

This is a discussion on usb driver module - Linux ; Hi, Background: I bought a cyberlink remote control ( http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlin...ink-remote.jpg ) Thanks to http://twe.awardspace.com/cyberlink/ & http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlinkusb/ I have got it working to an extent. The device is detected as a usb keyboard & mouse by my ubunutu system. I would ...

  1. usb driver module

    Hi,

    Background:
    I bought a cyberlink remote control (
    http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlin...ink-remote.jpg )
    Thanks to http://twe.awardspace.com/cyberlink/ & http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlinkusb/
    I have got it working to an extent.

    The device is detected as a usb keyboard & mouse by my ubunutu system.
    I would like to write a driver for it that will allow it to present
    itself as a remote.

    Problem:
    I have never written a driver before and am not overly sure what to
    do.

    I did a hello world tutorial which worked, however I could not get the
    driver to load automatically when I inserted the usb device.

    I would like the driver to be a module and not hard-coded into the
    kernel (though I think that would be the next logical step for me).

    My C/C++ skills are not the strongest but I am a quick study when I am
    working on something.

    In frustration I deleted all the code I had in order to start from
    scratch again.

    If anyone can give me pointers I would be very grateful.

  2. Re: usb driver module

    Pvt Ryan wrote:

    >Background:
    >I bought a cyberlink remote control (
    >http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlin...ink-remote.jpg )
    >Thanks to http://twe.awardspace.com/cyberlink/ & http://linux.thaj.net63.net/cyberlinkusb/
    >I have got it working to an extent.
    >
    >The device is detected as a usb keyboard & mouse by my ubunutu system.
    >I would like to write a driver for it that will allow it to present
    >itself as a remote.

    What does that mean to you -- "present itself as a remote"? Usually, the
    best way to expose a remote control is as a keyboard. There are USB HID
    keyboard events defined for most of the keys on the typical remote control.

    If you have a specific application that you want to drive, the key is to
    find out what kinds of input that application expects.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  3. Re: usb driver module

    On 6 Nov, 07:10, Tim Roberts wrote:

    > What does that mean to you -- "present itself as a remote"? *Usually, the
    > best way to expose a remote control is as a keyboard. *There are USB HID
    > keyboard events defined for most of the keys on the typical remote control.

    I was thinking it should be similar to a MCE remote but tbph I have no
    idea how it works but XBMC supports button codes from remotes. So I
    assumed there was a (loose) standard way a remote should present
    itself.

    > If you have a specific application that you want to drive, the key is to
    > find out what kinds of input that application expects.

    Its primarily for XBMC but I want to make it as generic as possible as
    I would like others to be able to use it for mythtv etc.

    Thanks for the quick response.

  4. Re: usb driver module

    Pvt Ryan wrote:

    >On 6 Nov, 07:10, Tim Roberts wrote:
    >>
    >> What does that mean to you -- "present itself as a remote"? *Usually, the
    >> best way to expose a remote control is as a keyboard. *There are USB HID
    >> keyboard events defined for most of the keys on the typical remote control.

    >I was thinking it should be similar to a MCE remote but tbph I have no
    >idea how it works but XBMC supports button codes from remotes. So I
    >assumed there was a (loose) standard way a remote should present
    >itself.

    There is: as a keyboard. The MCE remote is exposed as a HID device -- a
    keyboard.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  5. Re: usb driver module

    On 8 Nov, 23:10, Tim Roberts wrote:
    > Pvt Ryan wrote:
    >
    > >On 6 Nov, 07:10, Tim Roberts wrote:

    > >> What does that mean to you -- "present itself as a remote"? *Usually, the
    > >> best way to expose a remote control is as a keyboard. *There are USBHID
    > >> keyboard events defined for most of the keys on the typical remote control.

    > >I was thinking it should be similar to a MCE remote but tbph I have no
    > >idea how it works but XBMC supports button codes from remotes. So I
    > >assumed there was a (loose) standard way a remote should present
    > >itself.

    > There is: as a keyboard. *The MCE remote is exposed as a HID device -- a
    > keyboard.
    > --
    > Tim Roberts, t...@probo.com
    > Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

    Ahh ok, I had thought remotes were "special".

    Any Ideas as to why my remote would present itself as both keyboard &
    mouse?

    What I am intending to do is rewrite the code listed on the Sites in
    my OP so it is a driver module instead of a standalone app. Do you
    have any tips on what I may need to do? ( I have never written
    anything like this before. Normally I just hack other peoples work to
    do what i need)

+ Reply to Thread